J1 Waiver - recomendation from DoS - what next?

kull

Registered Users (C)
hej,

3 months ago i received from DOS favorable Recommendation about my NOL Waiver.
And what do i have to do now? Should i expect some letter from USCIS?
Or i dont have to wait, and i can apply for changing my status from J1 to F1?

help, I was in USCIS two times, and two times the told me something different. I dont know what i have to do now. help please

I called to USCIS, and they sad its no informations about me in their system. I celled to DoS and i told them about that, then they sad I received recommendation and i shouldnt expect any documents from USCIS. But i know that people receive some documents from USCIS after that.

What I have to do now? Help!

Yes, final processing goes to USCIS.

Get a person who speaks good English to go with you to USCIS.

but its not a problem to speak with USCIS. When I finally told them my last name and name, they sad, its no information about me in their database and i have to contact with DoS. But DoS told me they sent information about me to USCIS, and i dont have to worry about that. So, i dont know what is going on.

It takes time for USCIS to enter you in the system sometimes. I would visit the local office again with your paperwork from DoS.

ok, and is it good idea to write a letter to USCIS? i mean to Waiver Review Section in St. Albans, VT? to ask about my case? beacuse i have not too much time to wait, i applied to a University, and my visa will be expired in january 2008.

You can change your status to another student visa with no problem, you do not need waiver for that if you are in the US.

No idea about writing to USCIS. I doubt they would respond.

I would make an info pass and go to the local office

i was in the local office, they have no information about me.

So, are u sure i dont need to receive any other documents from USCIS, before I will change my status? USCIS doesnt have any information about me, and i afraid there will be some problems when i will apply for status F1. But if im in usa, recommendation from DoS is enough to do so?

Can i find that information (that its enough to change my status when i am in usa) on some official website?

thank u very much for response

indeed my only question is:

if can I apply for a change of status from J1 to F1? Im inside the US and the State Department has issued a favorable recommendation on my waiver. Do I need the final J-1 waiver from USCIS if i im inside of US?

and is it ok if USCIS dont have information about me in their database? All informations about me are in DoS.

Hmm... there was a post about this just recently. Like I said, this forum has info, people just need to get into the habit of reading.

J1 and 2 y HRR does not prevent you from getting another nonimmigrant visa (like F1). So, even if you had not gotten fav. recc. from DOS or even applied for waiver - no issues changing your status to F1, provided the university is willing to take care of the paperwork.

Keep bugging DoS and ask them to resend the documents to USCIS. You will need the waiver if at any time you will decide to adjust to H1b or GC. I think there was a story a year or two ago on this forum about lost documents and how DoS resent them to USCIS. It is practically impossible to trace it back, cause every person starts a new thread with their own questions...

Good luck.

thank u very much nemu, now I understand.
But i dont understand, why DoS didnt send my documents to USCIS. Maybe Because in my State of Reason I wrote that I want to change my status to F1, and how u said, i dont need waiver from USCIS to do it. But it sucks. I sent them letter and fax about that. When I started to speak with them by phone, they told me that everything is ok, i can apply for F1. But I'm going to apply for H1B in the future. So, did I have to ask again DoS for other waiver? Again?

Of course you do not apply for a new waiver. Sending papers to USCIS for final processing is a normal procedure.

Read this forum - there are people who are waiting for USCIS to respond for ever. It's just a matter of paperwork, Read this forum carefully, I do not remember all the stories, but there are people who were in the same situation like yours. I don't remember what exactly they did, but while you waiting, who not read the forum to figure this out. Something about waiting for 90 days after receiving DoS recommendations and then asking for DoS to resend documents to USCIS or something...

thank u for help.
so, i will apply for changing my status from J1 to F1, and in the meantime I will ask DoS to resend my doc. to USCIS.

thanks a lot

hej

finaly, i received some information about my case. I've sent question to USCIS and they sent me a letter with my case number (Interesting, that they cant find my case number in there database when i call them, but i receive it by sending a letter), and information that my waiver has send 2 months ago. But I have never received it. So, the problem was my address or postman :).

i hope everything will be ok, i mean it's a goooood news, and I hope finaly i recevive my waiver.

BTW: if i wanna get duplicate of form I612 (waiver) I will have to reqiested per firm I-824. It costs $340! LOL. damn

thank u very much everyone for help! cool forum !