J1 vs F

cris290

Hi,
I’m new on this forum, and I found here a lot of information’s which can help many people. My situation is this: I came in US as a visitor researcher with a J1 visa, I have applied for a PhD position at one University and I was accepted, and I would like to know if is possible to change the J1 Visa into F visa without waiver. In December I’m going in my country for a short vacation, and I’m wondering if I can apply there for a F visa? Somebody can help me with some answers?
Thank a lot!:)
Cristina

Hi,
I’m new on this forum, and I found here a lot of information’s which can help many people. My situation is this: I came in US as a visitor researcher with a J1 visa, I have applied for a PhD position at one University and I was accepted, and I would like to know if is possible to change the J1 Visa into F visa without waiver. In December I’m going in my country for a short vacation, and I’m wondering if I can apply there for a F visa? Somebody can help me with some answers?
Thank a lot!:)
Cristina

Othes did it, check with the international office in your place

Yes, you can change to F but you need a visa outside the US. You can't do adjustment of status. Also keep in mind that the J-1 HRR still remains in effect. It doesn't inhibit your F-1 status but you won't be able to switch to H1B or GC until the waiver is resolved or the 2 years served.