J1 visa extension?

phfa77

Registered Users (C)
Hi
how can I apply for J1 visa extension?
does it take time to get the extension? especially that I want to apply for a waiver and my visa is a one year visa so I have limited time and I don't want to waste it on a hopless request for extension.
BTW I came by a fulbright exchange program.
can any one give me a good advice
thanks

Yes, it's easy to extend your stay. You extend your DS-2019 form, not your visa if you remain in the US. You can also get a new visa if you go back home so you can return. DS-2019 is an easy process, your international student office should have all the info. If you will stay with the same program, you will also need Fulbrights permission to extend your stay (if I remember it correctly). Fulbright usually sponsors 9 months of study, so as long as will have money to fund your studies you will be fine. I received an assistantship for my second year of Misters program. Some Master’s programs are only 1 year long, so the extension in that case is not possible, unless you are working on your Mister’s thesis.

Waiver might be difficult t obtain after just spending one year in your program. Please read this thread and share your experience with the waiver when you twill apply http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=191084

Good luck!

Is there any ground for extension of DS2019, my situation is that my current DS2019 expires in August, when my program ends, however I cannot apply for my waiver until Sept 1 when TX dept of state health services will begin recieving applications for the state conrad 30 program.
My question is what options do I have, in terms of staying in the US during that period without being out of status?