J1 to F1 for highschool students (is it possible)

tsar

Registered Users (C)
Im looking into brining my neice to US as J1 exchange student (12th grade). Will she be able to get her F1 visa right after graduation or will she have to go back home and stay there? What is this 2 year thing I keep reading about. Sorry if this Q has been asked before. been reading for an hour and didn't find answers.

Thanks

Im looking into brining my neice to US as J1 exchange student (12th grade). Will she be able to get her F1 visa right after graduation or will she have to go back home and stay there? What is this 2 year thing I keep reading about. Sorry if this Q has been asked before. been reading for an hour and didn't find answers.

Thanks

Most J visa are subject to spend 2 years in their home country after they finish their J visa or get waiver from this 2 year country before they can switch to other visa like F or H or green card. So if your relative conme on J, she/he has to return back to the original country before switching to F or apply for waiver from this requirement long time before the J expire. To know more explore the department of state web page and search for waiver of the J to know types and requirements. www.state.gov

isn't this 2 year requirement only for those who used govm't funds or had some king of sponsored traning?

You can return to your home country and immediately get an F visa. The HRR only blocks H and GC. You cannot do adjustment of status though.