J1...possibly deported

nfiniti

Registered Users (C)
My wife who's currently in the US on a j1 visa..was pulled over in virginia for speeding 28mph over the limit and driving with a foreign passport...the judge in virginia, prior to the court date, has told her that she could possibly be deported...is this true?? can they deport somebody for speeding & driving with a foreign license???

no. :) Never heard of it.

Deportation is the punishment for serious crimes and violations of the non-immigrant status.

Speeding and driving with a foreign license are not such crimes. Lots of people who are not residents of a particular state drive with foreign licences. Lots of people speed which is wrong, but it's not a deportable offense.

Thanks lucymo...i figured that it wasnt a reason for deportation..Just worried me that it was actually even mentioned...

I am doing residency on J1 visa & I am currently in the final year of training. My training will be completed on June 30, 2011. Three months ago, I received a DUI first offense ticket. The officer charged me with DUI refusal & DUI. I hired a lawyer & DUI refusal charges were dropped. The DUI case is still pending & as per lawyer the case will go on for 6 to 8 months. My question is that how can this affect the j 1 visa waiver application & H1 B processing? Is there anything I can do proactively to be on the safe side.??
Please advise.. I am very worried to death since this happened.