J1 - J2 spouse question

hyloran

Registered Users (C)
I am a Canadian citizen; my wife is an Indian citizen. I am starting a job on a J-1 visa. What is the best way to go about getting the visa for my wife?

Thx

HL

Has ur wife hold any other visas right now. If not go to J-2 (dependent of J1) and with J2 she can get EAD and work in the US.

Has ur wife hold any other visas right now. If not go to J-2 (dependent of J1) and with J2 she can get EAD and work in the US.

So I have two options; which one is better?

1) Go to the US border and get my own J-1 stamped first. Then make an appointment at the US consulate and have my wife apply for a J-2 visa. In this case, I'm not sure if they will let me come in to the consulate/interview with her.

2) Go to the US consulate WITH my wife and apply for a J-1 visa for myself and a J-2 for her.

Keep in mind that my wife has already been rejected multiple times for a US visit visa (last application was in Aug. 2005). Will this affect her getting a J-2?

Thx

H

2) is good.

if her circumstances didn't change since the last time she was rejected, then she'll be rejected again. She needs to prove non-immigrant intent ( I presume).

2) is good.

if her circumstances didn't change since the last time she was rejected, then she'll be rejected again. She needs to prove non-immigrant intent ( I presume).

Will that put my own J-1 application in jeopardy? I have this fear of going to the embassy and getting rejected; whereas at the US border, I typically have never had any problem with various visa applications. Therefore I'd like to avoid going to the embassy to apply for my own visa.

Also, does she have to prove non-immigrant intent if she is in a spouse category, or does that requirement only apply to the primary visa holder?