J1 holder need to apply to a NOS waiver and H1B...please help!!!

ipf

Hi, Please help me

I'm in a training program in architecture with a J1 visa, since August 2007 to February 2009 (almost 6 months done). The company to whom I work for offered me to apply to H1B visa.
I'm subject to INA 212 requirement, before applying to any visa I should apply to a waiver, I want to apply to the waiver requesting a No Objection Statement.

Since I know the waiver is a separately process, I need to know if I am still on time to obtain the waiver. I need the waiver in march in order to apply on April 1st to H1B visa. Or I should apply next year when finishing my J1 visa program.

If I apply to the H1B visa on April 2008, could I continue working with my J1 visa program until October (when H1B visas start)?, or once someone apply to the waiver can not continue with his program?

Thank you;)

hi ipf, whatever happened to your case?

I'm also interested to know because I will be in the US on a J-1 visa this November.

Anyway, I also asked the same question in other online forum and someone told me that you should be able to apply for an H1B visa last April 1 even without a J-1 waiver.

they said that the application on April 1st is for US Dept of Labor's assessment (?) to determine if the H1B work is legitimate.

You will need the J-1 waiver when you apply at the US Consulate for Visa Stamping.

any expert to confirm this info please? anyone who has experience the same?

thanks!

Hi, Please help me

I'm in a training program in architecture with a J1 visa, since August 2007 to February 2009 (almost 6 months done). The company to whom I work for offered me to apply to H1B visa.
I'm subject to INA 212 requirement, before applying to any visa I should apply to a waiver, I want to apply to the waiver requesting a No Objection Statement.

Since I know the waiver is a separately process, I need to know if I am still on time to obtain the waiver. I need the waiver in march in order to apply on April 1st to H1B visa. Or I should apply next year when finishing my J1 visa program.

If I apply to the H1B visa on April 2008, could I continue working with my J1 visa program until October (when H1B visas start)?, or once someone apply to the waiver can not continue with his program?

Thank you;)

If your waiver application approved or denied, you can continue on your J till the last day on the DS
If your waiver approved, you can apply for H any time you want even years after the waiver.
If you just apply for waiver, you can not extend, transfer your current J or get any new J forever.
It is better to apply early because the process may take few weeks or years.

Anyway, I also asked the same question in other online forum and someone told me that you should be able to apply for an H1B visa last April 1 even without a J-1 waiver.

they said that the application on April 1st is for US Dept of Labor's assessment (?) to determine if the H1B work is legitimate.

You will need the J-1 waiver when you apply at the US Consulate for Visa Stamping.

hi mmed, your thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance. :)