J1 Au Pair Wants to Stay

kettle77

My Colombian au pair who is finishing her second (legal) year on a J-1 visa is desperate to stay in the US. What are her options (with or without me)? Thanks for any advice.

Have a similar question.
Do most Au Pair programs require HRR? I read the reasons for HRR and the only one that might be an issue is the first one (Funding from the government). How can you check is someone on a J-1 visa needs to fill out a Waiver? I check the section on the DS-2019 and it was not filled in.

My girlfriend is an Au Pair and would like to get a job with an H-1 Visa. She already has her degree from Mexico. What are the chances she can get a H-1 visa after her J-1 program is complete?

Thanks for helping out.

EE2000, if your friend can find an employer willing to sponsor her and she fulfills all other requirements, she can try.

As to HRR, if her DS-2019 doesn't list her as being subject to HRR due to the govt funds or skills list, she doesn't have to worry about it.

Thanks for your help Lucy.

Do you have a link which explains the details of the DV Lottery? I read through some of the FAQs about it, and since she's from Mexico would she even be able to enter? (Since it's based on immigration of the country for the past 5 years. And I guess Mexico has lots of immigrants)

Follow-up question

Lucy, It is my understanding that an au pair cannot get a "work permit" or I guess it is a H-1 visa for employment in child care, but instead must be sponsored by an employer in a more skilled field. Is that correct? Otherwise why would anyone have an illegal nanny working for them? No lottery for Colombians. Thanks so much.

she would have to have at least a bachelor's degree and there are a lot of other conditions pertaining to H1B. You can research this visa and rules at www.uscis.gov

What happen to the Colombian Aupair?

Did she stay? or leave?
If she stayed, what did she do?
How did she change her status?...

kettle77 said:
My Colombian au pair who is finishing her second (legal) year on a J-1 visa is desperate to stay in the US. What are her options (with or without me)? Thanks for any advice.

Get into a school. But then she would have to study full-time (12 credits undergard and 9 for grad). I did that after I finished my au pair program and I have been here since then for about 6 years.

Hello Thaiangel

Hello Thaiangle!
So you stayed after the program...with which visa?...but also you came back as B-2 right?

kvsch said:
Hello Thaiangle!
So you stayed after the program...with which visa?...but also you came back as B-2 right?

After the program I went home for a month...changed my visa there and come back as a student. I had student visa for about 5 years while I went to school. I graduated last December. Then I got married and try to adjust status here without going home this time.

CHange status to F1 Student.Thats another option,if she is willing to study full time (12 credit hours per semester).