J1 and Termination >>>URGENT

SanjeevSharma1

Hi there,

I have a valid J1 till Oct 2009. Due to personal issues with the employer (Company covering my Financial Support in US) and not the Program Sponsor CIPUSA.

I returned to India on 3rd Nov'08. I have my DS2019 (my travel information not present on it as i had to come back in a hurry which was to be provided to the Program Sponsor during the time of travel), I-94 which does not have date mentioned of untill stay period (only mentions the date of arrival in US).

Will I be able to re-enter US within this week or couple of days? Will I be able to transfer my employer to another employer if the first one is not ready to do so?

If I marry US citizen while in stay in India how much time it can take
What are my options?

Could you Please assist me in this regard as soon as possible it is HIGHLY URGENT.

THANKS,
Sanjeev

To return back, you have to have valid stamp in your passport and valid DS2019 with a sponsor who did not cancel your visa yet. If your sponsor cancelled your visa, then you will not be allowed to re-enter even if the DS and visa are not expired. If you travel, your sponsor should also sign the DS and state that you are in good state and date the form which is very important to be readmitted, if you did not do that, your chance for re-entry is minimal and up to the officer to readmit you r not. You can transfer your employer if you are in US not outside, and if you are outside you will start the process again from scratch after you spend a bar year (one year from your last exit from US while you are on J). This bar year apply if you are subject to the 2 year home country residence or not. For J holder it is not a good sign to have conflict with the sponsor because this is considered a training visa and very primitive to prepare people in US to help in the process of development in their countries as part of the philosophy of the J. I have no idea how long the process of marriage with a USC take but my guess is one year for others' input with experience in that field.

Last edited by a moderator:
I130 plus consular processing takes about 9 month (6 month if its very quick). Its probably still faster than the minimum 1 year in between J visas.