J1 2yr HRR issue and J1 transfer

pbsujit

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I need some advice urgetly please.
I had a valid DS-2019 form till April 30, 2008. I am came in India in Feb, 2008a and I did not cancel my J1. After coming back, I got a offer from different university for Post-doc. So, can I apply for transfer of J1? Is it necessary that I need to be in US to get the transfer?

If I need to go to US on another J1 is it necessary to that I have to spend 2 yrs? Since the information@ travel.state.gov says that J1 2yr HRR is required if one wants to travel in any other H,G, L.. etc (but not J) visa category.

Thanks in advance,
Sujit

You need a new J1 from your new employer. J1 cannot be transfered. If you spent more than 6 month in J status in the US, you have to wait 1 year before you can apply for another J (even if you are NOT subject to 2 year HRR). If you are subject to 2 year HRR, you must wait 2 years or get a waiver before you can get another J or H visa or GC, no matter how short your stay was.

Hi all,

I need some advice urgetly please.
I had a valid DS-2019 form till April 30, 2008. I am came in India in Feb, 2008a and I did not cancel my J1. After coming back, I got a offer from different university for Post-doc. So, can I apply for transfer of J1? Is it necessary that I need to be in US to get the transfer?

If I need to go to US on another J1 is it necessary to that I have to spend 2 yrs? Since the information@ travel.state.gov says that J1 2yr HRR is required if one wants to travel in any other H,G, L.. etc (but not J) visa category.

Thanks in advance,
Sujit
If you are still in US yo can transfer your J to another university up to 5 years totals, but as I understand it from your story that you already left the country because your program was done for one reason or another.
The expiration date on your current DS does not mean much because you already finished and traveled back.
Now you have a new offer for post doc on another J, is that right? if so, there is what they call bar years which is a time frame between subsequent J visas (has nothing to do with the 2 year home country). This bar time may be one or two years depending on many factors.
This bar time will be counted from the day you left the US (not the stated date on your current DS)
In another simple way; it is not allowed to get another J unless at least you stay one year in your home country in almost all cases conted from the day you left the state

Thanks,
Say If I extend my current DS-2019 and come to US, then can I transfer?

Thanks,
sujit

Do you have a valid visa stamping to enter into USA? If not, getting a stamping with an extended offer, also takes few months these days (in US consultates in India).