J 2 -J1 status change; total period of stay.

kkcherian

I am medical school graduate from India in USA on a J2 dependent visa( spouse on J1;alien physician) . After I secure a residency program, could I change to J1 . If the change is possibile, will the max period of stay of 7 years include my prior years on J2 or will the 7 year max period of stay ,start from when I change to J1.

I am medical school graduate from India in USA on a J2 dependent visa( spouse on J1;alien physician) . After I secure a residency program, could I change to J1 . If the change is possibile, will the max period of stay of 7 years include my prior years on J2 or will the 7 year max period of stay ,start from when I change to J1.

Your options:
1- apply for J2 EAD and do residency with it, it is an easy way, no much hassle. Be sure to renew it in advance (120 days) and keep your spouse on J1till you finish.
2- You can apply through the ECFMG to convert J2 to J1 medical, it needs much paper work, may be granted or denied depending on many factors. The time you already spent is counted toward your 7 years in most cases (despite, I know one case where they started the count from the 0 again, and this is the odd).
Good luck!