J-1 waiver USG sponsored program

warmotan

Registered Users (C)
Dear forum member,

First of all I am really glad to find this forum and thank you everyone for sharing your experience. I read through most of the historical publications and learned a lot for my case but still have a few questions:
1. Is there anyone who was sponsored by the US government in full and obtained a waiver based on No Objection? Especially those who participated in undergraduate exchange from former Soviet Union republics?
2. Could anyone share successful experience about what would outweigh the reasons of the program. And can any home government agency send "no objection" letter, ministry of economy for example? Would letter not from embassy decrease/increase chances.
3. I was on J-1 (got 2 year HRR), then for 3 years was on F-1 visa, have graduated and now am working on OPT. The company I work for will sponsor my H-1, but to cover the gap from May to October I am applying for a J-1 training visa. I am thinking to obtain the J-1 in Canada. I know that the Dep. of State website strongly advices to apply for a visa from home. But I haven't been home for almost 3 years and am afraid that I might get denied. Did anyone go this route? Was anyone denied a student visa in one of the consulates in Canada.
Thanks a lot for your input.

1. Is there anyone who was sponsored by the US government in full and obtained a waiver based on No Objection? Especially those who participated in undergraduate exchange from former Soviet Union republics?

if you read stories on this forum, you will see that there are people like that.

1. Yes, you can get a waiver if you are sponsored by a US agency, but it depends on which agency. Some agencies (like mine) require certain criteria are met, and others (like Fullbright sponsors) generally object to waivers even though there have been some success cases. It depends on who the sponsor is and the nature of your program.
2. If you are basing your waiver on "No Objection", then a diplomatic statement is enough weight, so your statement of reason just has to be genuine and make sense but not be overly dramatic. As for who sends the letters, it must be recognized by the State Department as representing your home government in these affairs. This is generally the embassy in the United States. An equivalent DIPLOMATIC entity on US soil might be acceptable to the DOS. A random ministry in your home country might not be. The DOS has to recognize the ministry's authority in speaking on your behalf. Besides, if you get the statement from the home country, it generally must be transmitted to the US embassy in that country which will then forward it to the DOS.
3. I have no experience in Canada. I was going to try in Italy once, but was told my chances were next to impossible so I just stayed in the US and missed my own seminar.

Thanks guys for repplying! I will be applying for a training J-1 visa this spring, and I am about to submit my waiver from the old j-1 program, do you think I might get denied a j-1 because of applying for a waiver? Is there communication between consular services and waiver review committee? Thanks.

It makes little sense to me why you want to apply for a waiver right before you are about to enter into a new J-1 program. If your new program makes you subject to the HRR, then you'd have to apply for another waiver anyway. Even if it does not make you subject, all J-1s need to be approved by the DOS, so that fact that you previously applied for a waiver may negatively influence your upcoming J-1 application (which answers your question above).

Thanks for advice, I'll hold of with the waiver. my country's retarded embassy didn't want to issue a no objection letter anyway, I'll have to find another way to apply for a waiver.