J-1 transfer

KatieAL

Hi all,

My case is as below.

I came to US with J-1 (E212 applied due to my goverment sponsor) for my undergraduate. My I-94 says "valid during study" (D/S)
I finished my B.S on May 2007 and had my DS-2019 extended to Aug 2007 for an Academic Training (from May 07-Aug 07).
Then, I was accepted to a Master program. My DS-2019 was transferred to my new sponsor (now is my graduate school) within US. It is dated valid until 2010.
Now, I am accepted to another graduate school for Ph.D.

1. Could I drop off this Master progam and start my new Ph.D program at the new school?
2. Is this possible when my current DS-2019 is not expired?
3. Can I just transfer my DS-2019 again like I transfer it from my undergraduate school to my current MS school?
4. About E212 HHR: can I accumulate all my summer at my home country to meet 2 years resident? Does the time spending at my home country during my study program count ( when I am still on my J-1)?

Thank you for all suggestions

No, you can't be on J-1 while serving your HRR. If you switch to F1, the time you spend in your home country does count, so thats an option. Or apply for a waiver.

Agony,

But then she couldn't even change to F1 one to "serve" her 2HHR at home during summers, could she? 'Cause that's exactly why there's that 2HHR...

I talked to the International Student Office (ISO) at my school. They said I can switch to F-1 but whenever I want to apply to H1b, the problem will raise only then.