ITIN --> SSA

tito9

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone suggest what form does new PR's need to file with IRS to inform of the Social Security nos & stop using ITIN nos?

tito9 said:
Can anyone suggest what form does new PR's need to file with IRS to inform of the Social Security nos & stop using ITIN nos?

Simply start using SSN on tax returns. No other letter is required. IRS has access to your SS records.
Also, write to credit bureaus about the change (if you have established credit under ITIN).

Itin-ssa

Actually the new ITIN letter (you don't get a card anymore as it was apparently confusing with SS Card) tells you your number and gives specific instructions to contact them and advise them of both numbers so they can adjust their records.

My wife has been using her ITIN number until May 2004 when we got our EAD and she got her own SSN. Even though she's informed her bank her new SSN, her 1090-INT still shows her ITIN number.

Now, should I use her ITIN or SSN when I file our tax returns? I suspect I should be using her SSN, but the 1090 issued by the bank to IRS is using her ITIN, how do they reconcile this? Do I need to do anything to reconcile this?

Thanks.

I contacted the IRS in regards to this issue. They instructed me, that I should call and request, the they(IRS) merge my wifes tax records. i.e. Merge all tax returns that filed using her ITIN with all tax returns files using the SSN.

I plan to do it after the tax season, when they are not so busy.

I went through the same thing. The letter u got with ITIn stated that send copies of SSN ITIN with a later stating that you have an SSN now to irs. The address was on the letter as well. That should do it.

Hi,

Can someone let me know a number to call? I don't even remember where I put the ITIN letter, or we actually got one with the ITIN card. It was so long ago. Now that tax season is over, I'm going to talk to IRS.

Thanks

My ITIN letter

Here's what it says: "If you become a US resident or a US citizen, you will probably be eligible to get an SSN. If so, you must then apply for an SSN from the Social Security Administartion and start using that number for tax purposes instead of your ITIN. When you receive an SSN, please send a copy of your social security card, along with a copy of this notice to the address listed above, so that we can update our records."
The address in the left corner above:
"Department of Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Philadelphia, PA 19255"

"For assistance, call us at: (215) 516-4846
or you may write us at: P.O. Box 447
Bensalem, PA 19020"

Hope this helps.

i called that number and talked to them and IRS said that they can merge the files over the phone too, no need to write a letter.

The wait time for this phone number is even worse than those to CIS. So far I've been on hold 2 times for 30 minutes each without speaking to a single person.