It is our CHANCE on 10/20. CALL US SENATORS !!!!

marlon2006

Registered Users (C)
The US Chamber of Commerce, Compete America really did a good job. This is our hope. See below:
TAKE ACTION. CALL SENATORS MEMBERS OF THE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE LISTED AT THE END OF THIS TEXT, NOW !! ASK SUPPORT FOR THE EMPLOYMENT BASED IMMIGRATION ISSUE. DO NOT MENTION McCain/Kennedy bill, since that has nothing to do with us.

Below is the proposed wording that Specter/Kennedy are trying to push:
"...
Specter/Kennedy plan proposed for Thursday's vote would do the following:

1. It would raise the annual cap on permanent employment-based immigration by changing the formula as follows: employment-based visas = 140,000 + any unused family-based visas from the previous year + (the lesser of 90,000 or unused employment-based visas from any prior year).

2. It exempts the spouses and children of employment-based immigrants from counting against the numerical cap, beginning in 2004. (In 2003, workers got 36,210 visas, and their spouses and children got 45,927 visas. Total visas could have more than doubled under this bill.)

3. It adds a fee of $500 per petition for most employment-based visa petitions.

4. It allows alien spouses and children of citizens to adjust to Legal Permanent Resident status if the citizen abused them, died, or lost or renounced their citizenship; and it allows alien spouses and children of LPRs to adjust to LPR status if the LPR abused them or died.

5. Anytime the H-1B cap is reached, the lesser of 60,000 or any unused visas in any prior years are added to the cap.

*** ATTENTION CALL THE FOLLOWING SENATORS OUTLINED BELOW AND ASK SUPPORT FOR THE EMPLOYMENT BASED ISSUE. DO NOT MENTION ANY McCAIN BILL ***

Call the U.S. Capitol Switchboard and ask for the Senator you are trying to reach. Call:

202-224-3121

================
REPUBLICANS
================
Arlen Specter, CHAIRMAN, PENNSYLVANIA
Orrin G. Hatch, UTAH
Charles E. Grassley, IOWA
Jon Kyl, ARIZONA
Mike DeWine, OHIO
Jeff Sessions, ALABAMA
Lindsey Graham, SOUTH CAROLINA
John Cornyn, TEXAS
Sam Brownback, KANSAS
Tom Coburn, OKLAHOMA

==================
DEMOCRATS
==================
Patrick J. Leahy, RANKING DEMOCRATIC MEMBER, VERMONT
Edward M. Kennedy, MASSACHUSETTS
Joseph R. Biden, Jr., DELAWARE
Herbert Kohl, WISCONSIN
Dianne Feinstein, CALIFORNIA
Russell D. Feingold, WISCONSIN
Charles E. Schumer, NEW YORK
Richard J. Durbin, ILLINOIS

call them TODAY only...they will be meeting TOMORROW

======================================
DEMOCRATS
Joseph Biden (DE) 202-224-5042
Richard Durbin (IL) 202-224-2152
Russell Feingold (WI) 202-224-5323
Dianne Feinstein (CA) 202-224-3841
Edward Kennedy (MA) 202-224-4543
Herb Kohl (WI) 202-224-7703
Patrick Leahy (VT) 202-224-4242
Charles Schumer (NY) 202-224-6542

REPUBLICANS
Sam Brownback (KS) 202-224-6521
Tom Coburn (OK) 202-224-5754
John Cornyn (TX) 202-224-2934
Mike DeWine (OH) 202-224-2315
Lindsey Graham (SC) 202-224-5972
Charles Grassley (IA) 202-224-3744
Orrin Hatch (UT) 202-224-5251
Jon Kyl (AZ) 202-224-4521
Jeff Sessions (AL) 202-224-4124
Arlen Specter (PA) 202-224-4254

Call above members of Senate Judiciary committee (If they ask why you're calling their office if you're not from their state, tell them that as honorable senator is a member of the Judiciary Committee and they will be meeting tomorrow - Oct 20 - to include immigration relief provisions in budget bill...and you're calling to support it), explain them that you are highly educated, skilled professionals, law-abiding, tax paying LEGAL IMMIGRANTS and how employment based visa retrogression affected (and hurting) you, your employer, US economy and your family...

Request them that you're seeking honorable Senators help to eliminate employment based visa retrogression...some of possibilities are...
(1) Allowing I-485 and EAD filings even if visas are not available, and then processing I-485s per priority dates.
(2) Counting Immigrant visa per primary applicant only, rather than counting for everyone in family
(3) Recapturing all the unused Visas for the past 10 years.
(4) Removing the per-country visa limit or modifying it to suit the population ratio of each country
(5) Increasing yearly quota of employment based immigrant visas
(6) Making the immigration process independent of employer.

Also post your conversation with Senators here which will encourage others.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have called ALL the senators (once again!) and talked about the issues and proposed solutions.

I never got into any specific bill or motion. Most of them took my contact info (including address)

sunjoshi said:
I have called ALL the senators (once again!) and talked about the issues and proposed solutions.

I never got into any specific bill or motion. Most of them took my contact info (including address)

sunjoshi:

I am planning to call them today. What is th ename of the bill (or number) I should refer to when talking. I do not want to confuse issues. Please let me know.

Thanks.

What are they going to do????

Are they just meeting to discuss this bill??? Or they actually are going to vote and make a decision right away???

Please respond.

Execute meeting - "budget reconciliation discussion"

It is an executive meeting:
"budget reconciliation discussions" is the title.

I don't have more information on when the votes will actually take place.
The important part is that this seems to be our only short-term hope for now.

Date: Tue Oct 18 15:51:05 CDT 2005
To: gcdreamer2005@verizon.net
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP !! - EB issue

We believe there will be action in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Oct. 20. You should be able to find further information at: http://judiciary.senate.gov/

On 10/18/05 4:40 PM, "grencarddreamer" wrote:

Dear Sir,

As you are likely aware, several professionals waiting for the US permanent residency 'greencard' are anxiously trying to lobby and campaign torwards an increase in visa numbers.

I heard that a suggested visa number increase and other relief would be potentially addressed in the "budget reconciliation discussions". I believe that should take place on October 20th (?)

Can you please give me an update and confirm whether "Compete America" has knowledge about the status on the inclusion of visa numbers for the professional immigrant folks ?

Thanks !

Note:I already participated on your online survey on the Employment Base visa number crisis. Thank you for working on that.

ecuellaro said:
Are they just meeting to discuss this bill??? Or they actually are going to vote and make a decision right away???

Please respond.

This Is The Chance

HELLO PPL. PLEASE CALL TODAY.. TAKE IT SERIOUSLY..THIS IS OUR BEST CHANCE.

http://pubweb.fdbl.com/news1.nsf/0/2ed1d2a76a6f627d852570930074ed00?OpenDocument

ALSO, THOSE WHO HAVE GOOD RELATIONS WITH YOUR EMPLOYERS PLEASE GET THEM FAX LETTERS TO THE SENATOR'S OFFICE TODAY SUPPORTING THIS MOVE. BUSINESS' OPINION HAS GREATER VALUE. HERE'S A SAMPLE LETTER YOU CAN MODIFY ACCORDINGLY, PRINT ON YOUR COMPANY LETTERHEAD, SIGN BY YOUR HR REP/MANAGER AND FAX TO THE SENATORS TODAY. GOODLUCK TO ALL. HOPE TO HEAR A GOOD NEWS TOMORROW.

http://www.cyrusmehta.com/related/L...isa_numbers_and_Senate_Judiciary_contacts.doc

Called Senator's Office

Guys:

I was able to reach through a few senators office. Here is how it went so far. Please be patient. Some of their staff are impatient, but will finally hear your comments.

* Joseph Biden: As I started explaining the lady asked me to list my suggestions. I listed the 6 suggestions and she took them down including my name.

* Richard Durbin: Reached through. Staff was more patient. Explained and listed suggestions.

* Russell Feingold: Directed me to Lara Flynn's (over immigration issues) voice mail. I have left a brief message listing all issues.

* Dianne Feinstein : Since I am not from CA person politely declined to take down comments and directed me to call my own state.

* John Cornyn: Directed me to voice mail of person over immigration. I have left message describing issues. Plan to call him again since I am from Texas.

Most of them also encourage me to send emails. I have already faxed and emailed all these senators last week.

Called Senators office

I called 6-7 senators (who are member of senate judiciar committee) office:
- Called the office and requested to talk with person handling senate judiciary related issues. Some were transfered to right person who is responsible handling senate judciary issues and in rest cases operator themself collected feedback and said they will follow-up.
- One of the office asked my zip and (since I was not from their state) he said to contact my own senator and refused to take comment. Then I politely said that I called (name ?) honorable senator as he is member of Senate Judiciary committee and whatever decision judiciary committee take is affecting everyone in the country - then he took the comment. Senate judciary is planning to meet tomorrow to disucss budget bill and discuss to include "Immigration Relief provisions".
- Few said to fax/email to them as well...I said I already fax to your office last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Email Addresses of Senators

Arlen Specter (R-PA) Chairman
arlen_specter@specter.senate.gov
Patrick Leahy (D-VT) Ranking Member
senator_leahy@leahy.senate.gov
Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
senator_hatch@hatch.senate.gov
Edward Kennedy (D-MA)
senator@kennedy.senate.gov
Charles Grassley (R-IA)
chuck_grassley@grassley.senate.gov
Joseph Biden (D-DE)
senator@biden.senate.gov
Mike DeWine (R-OH)
senator_dewine@dewine.senate.gov
Herbert Kohl (D-WI)
senator_kohl@kohl.senate.gov
Jeff Sessions (R-AL)
senator@sessions.senate.gov
Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
webmail@feinstein-iq.senate.gov
Russ Feingold (D-WI)
russell_feingold@feingold.senate.gov
Charles Schumer (D-NY)
senator@schumer.senate.gov
Sam Brownback (R-KS)
sam_brownback@brownback.senate.gov
Richard Durbin (D-IL)
dick@durbin.senate.gov
Tom Coburn (R-OK)
rep.coburn@mail.house.gov
Jon Kyl (R-AZ)
info@kyl.senate.gov

As per AILA and other sources, senate judiciary committe is planning to discuss immigration relief provisions as a part of Budget Reconciliation bill. see last line in your link).

Following are proposals:
- Recapture of 300,000 unused H-1B numbers
- Recpature of 90,000 unused EB immigrant visa numbers
- Exempting spouses and minor children of EB principal aliens from the annual EB quota limit
- Permit filing of I-485 even during the visa number retrogression.

lost_angeles said:
http://judiciary.senate.gov/meeting_notice.cfm?id=1645

Tenatative agenda has been posted on the link above. It doesn't mention any immigration related bill.

Guys, do not try to spread a rumour and create a ruckus. Pl post only if you have reliable info.

There seems to be quite a lot on the agenda. Do you guys know typically how long each bill/topic is assigned? Or any clue where I can find that out?

Hope they r not too tired by the time they get to the last item!!

Email addresses

Most of the email addresses provided above do not work. I hunted down each senator's contact form on the senate.gov site and filled it in.

My wife called a couple of senators' offices but didnt have much success apparently.

BostonGCVictim said:
Anybody think contacting the Indian embassy in washington is a good idea. Even if we are trying for US GC, some of us are still Indian citizens and they are here to serve our issues too. Here is their website. I sent emails to them.

http://www.indianembassy.org/embassy/contact.htm

Indian Embassy ??? I dont think it will work. You know how folks in our own embassy SERVE us. They will not give a s**t to our needs. The few times I have contacted them for other issues, I have encountered the usual red tape, lethargy and dismal professionalism that is so common with our Govt offices back home.