Is this rule really exists? If someone know about it please answer here.

palyhill

Registered Users (C)
I recently received my EAD and SSN and waiting for interview for Permanent residency. And I went to driver’s license office and received my Class F license (for car) in a paper. And they told me I will receive card license in 2 months. Then next day I went to DMV and passed written and riding test for motorcycle. And they gave me a paper to apply for Class M (motorcycle) license. But in DMV office they told me they can not issue another type of license until I get my card license and which takes 2 months.
I have few questions here.
1. If someone have to go to work and he don’t have a car how can he go there?
2. If they are not able to give me a license why they take all the tests for me?
3. If such rule exists where it is written? Is this someone just making up by themselves in drives license office?
4. How can I get more information about this rule? (I asked them can in talk to a manager and they said there is no manager?????????????)

Almost all states have different rules for issuing licenses so without mentioning the state it unlikely you get a good answer. Also this is a immigration forum and unless you are asking a DL question that concerns immigration I think you are in the wrong place.

I think you want too much the same time.

it is not going to take 2 months, max is 1 month. you got your paper driving license at first you can drive on it, mostly even buy a beer.

as of "how am I suppose to drive to work" - why would anyone including USCIS care?? if you apply through marriage, your wife/husband suppose to support you with his/her income on the first step, no matter if you get your EAD card and can legally work, or your DL and can drive to work.

This is a real world, OK? nothing is perfect. as of goverment - they usually dont let you talk with managers/supervisors, etc. Glad we have any rights at first place.

Wait for your F driving license when it came, show up in DMV with paper regarding your motorcycle endoresment, they should print you a new card with motorcycle stamp on it in the same minute at the same spot. You can always go to the different DMV around as all of them run little bit independently, in my opinion.

As of me, I rushed too fast and when the same trouble occured, all I was doing was waiting for my plastic DL to came to get motrocycle stamp on it while looking at that new shiny 2008 R6 standing in my garage.. all friends drove up and down town before I got it to ride legally....

the other thing occured to me - if you were talking about driving to work on a motorcycle and thats why you cant drive, 99% of cops will understand by showing them paper from motorcycle school and your paper driving license plus you being alien you should be let go, obviously if you piss the office by doing 100mph, he may take advantage of your unclear situation

I recently applied for a license, they also gave me the temporary (paper) license that day and I waited 6 weeks for the real one (they told me up to three months.)

YOU CAN use the paper license to drive. That's what it is, a temporary driver's license. It's not a great form of ID for buying alcohol or anything else, but it serves the same purpose as the "real" card for driving.

I second everyone who says the DMV doesn't have to do anything for you. The first time I applied for my DL, they let me take all the tests, I passed them and paid all my fees, they signed off on all my ID, and then I got a letter months later saying "we couldn't verify your legal presence, you don't get your license." (I was 100% legal in the US and met all their posted requirements for the license.) No way to appeal. I'd given them every immigration document I had. I got one truthful lady who eventually told me they can't be bothered verifying "legal presence" for people without SSNs, it's too much trouble for them. What can you do? So a year later when I got my SSN I tried again, and they were lovely about it. The lady at the DMV actually waived my test requirements because she could see I'd already passed them more than a year ago, even though they should have expired after three months.

You win some and lose some...

Last edited by a moderator:
1. If someone have to go to work and he don’t have a car how can he go there?
2. If they are not able to give me a license why they take all the tests for me?
3. If such rule exists where it is written? Is this someone just making up by themselves in drives license office?
4. How can I get more information about this rule? (I asked them can in talk to a manager and they said there is no manager?????????????)
O jeebus

1. ask someone to give you ride or use public transportation. They issued temp license, and it's not DMV's fault that you don't have a car.
2. You don't have to take the same test again, do you ?
3. Ask DMV.
4. There are more DMV offices in the town.

thank you

Thank you for your different opinions. I just asked this question here is that I’m going through family based immigration. Well, I can understand unless you born in a country you don’t have any birth rights. From your opinions I guess I can’t do much on this. I like to know that any one went through this situation. Thank you.

thanks

If such rule is not exists and somebody just make it up by themselves it really troubles lot of people. Well, I am not concerned about that. I know finally whatever it happens they will say “for national security we are not able to give”. Well, but I am definitely going to write a letter to main DMV office. I am sure I won’t get any benefit from that but hopefully that problem will be solved and a proper answer exists for that.

they will say “for national security we are not able to give”.

as you know, driving license IS a valid identification document in this country that lets you obtain or do many things.
So your answer with that national security even has a sense!! perfect sense!! they do not know you they have hundreds of Phills just like you showing up with different life/immigration situation. The law is not perfect and can resolve everyones signle situation -- thus, DMV run by attorneys usually some rules they add into it.
I dont see a problem with that.
More patience thats what you need :)
good luck, and drive safely.. I am in FL and elder people do not see me driving a bike. I have a yellow motorbike, white leather jacket and white helmet with neons in it yet many times got older people cut me off they just dont see me.
b careful.

it was very useful

Hi Daniel,
That’s great. It looks like you drive some sports bike. Which one (Yamaha/ Honda)? I am a fan of Harley Davidson and if possible I want to own one. I live in Missouri and weather is not that suitable like you. I don’t care about my motorcycle as long as I have car license. But my concern is that even if someone wants to do pizza delivery for living they cannot because they don’t add any other class of license until 2 months. It’s called class E here. I really don’t care about that as long as at least I can drive a car. AND I like to add some more information here for others who may need it. A visitor can drive in USA with his home country license for about one year (from most of countries). It is according to 2 laws 1943 Geneva and 1949 Washington laws.
Thank you