Is this a must apply (I-485) situation for single people who plan to marry outside US

tiod1

Registered Users (C)
Hello Gurus, The current hot topic among single immigrants is whether to file for I-485 during this time or not?
On one side, people tell that its not a good idea for single people (who plan to marry abroad) to file I-485 now?
On the flip side, Some say how can you think about marriage when such a big oppurtunity is at your door?
Please suggest.

Its highly unlikely - that you shall get approval very soon - but all depends on what is your PD - if its in 05/06/07 - you should apply one never knows how far retrogression shall happen in Oct07

-Mittal

Hello Gurus, The current hot topic among single immigrants is whether to file for I-485 during this time or not?
On one side, people tell that its not a good idea for single people (who plan to marry abroad) to file I-485 now?
On the flip side, Some say how can you think about marriage when such a big oppurtunity is at your door?
Please suggest.

Thanks, Mittal!

My PD is 07/16/07. If i apply I-485 now, then get married next year, what if PD never becomes current (hopefully not) to add my spouse as dependent?
Thanks in advance.

If i apply I-485 now, then get married next year, what if PD never becomes current (hopefully not) to add my spouse as dependent?
Thanks in advance.

If your PD never becomes current again, you never get your GC. :) Seriously, your spouse needs to maintain valid non-immigrant status until the PD becomes current, then file an I-485.

Little confused with your message, RealCanadian!
If you forget about marraige stuff, my case has to do with filing I-485 now, and expect to continue with steps in the I-485 post-process and get GreenCard. Where does PD come into picture here?