Is there a wait period before one can apply for a new SS card after receiving naturalization cert?

4rc4ne

Registered Users (C)
After my oath ceremony I went straight to the social security card office to apply for a new SS card. While the clerk was typing in the information he told me the system would not process the application because it was saying I was in the country for less than 10 days(??). I'm guessing it has something to do with the date on certificate.
Either way has has anyone ran into this situation?
I'm in need of a new SS card that reflects my new name for work purposes. The quicker I get it the better ;)

I went to the SS office after two days of citizenship and I received the new updated card in less than 7 days. Go to a different office I would suggest.

I went to the SSA an hour after receiving my naturalisation certificate, and they processed my application without any problem. In your situation, it seems like some made-up reason from the clerk.

I went again today and was able to give them the application but the clerk told me uscis has not updated my status? So right now the application is in but in limbo.
Oh well after all the BS going through the n400 process this should be of no surprise.

I went again today and was able to give them the application but the clerk told me uscis has not updated my status? So right now the application is in but in limbo.
Oh well after all the BS going through the n400 process this should be of no surprise.

Take it easy. Updating SS card is not that important at least not that urgent anyway. I guess the majority of the people do not even do that and their status with SS arer still the status like F-1, F-2, H1B etc. Thsi does not affect their eventual getting SS benefit etc.

The OP says he needs the unrestricted SS card urgently. I suggest you use your passport instead, if you have one.

Take it easy. Updating SS card is not that important at least not that urgent anyway. I guess the majority of the people do not even do that and their status with SS arer still the status like F-1, F-2, H1B etc. Thsi does not affect their eventual getting SS benefit etc.

As I said in the original post - I'm in need of a new SS card due to a name change, so for me it is important to have it soon. It's not urgent but will make things very inconvenient later on.
My new employer requires the SS card or passport, they will not take the Nat. Cert.

As I said in the original post - I'm in need of a new SS card due to a name change, so for me it is important to have it soon. It's not urgent but will make things very inconvenient later on.
My new employer requires the SS card or passport, they will not take the Nat. Cert.

You have to check out the rules laid down by government what papers can be used. It is quite often
that employers often refuse docuemnts which are clearly specified as acceptavble by government.

I remmeber longt ime ago certificate of natualization was accetable but indeed I do not see
it on the list in current I-9 form.

But any way, be happy. From now on, there is no major or even minor issue left related to immigration.

It is not in limbo. They are waiting for the USCIS reply, and it may take some time. My SS application also took some time (either 4 or 6 weeks, I can't recall) until my status was confirmed with the USCIS. Tell your employer to wait for couple more weeks - they can conditionally let you work. You cannot hurry up the SSA nor USCIS. You can get a passport in a hurry, but you will need to show the proof of travel within the next 14 days.