Is Passport Stamping necessary?

Bhavesh

Registered Users (C)
My 485 got approved on 03/09/2004. Currently I'm so busy at work that I can not afford to take a day off for the passport stamping.

Is passport stamping necessary? Can I do it after say 2 months?

Do they send the card only after the passport is stamped?

Thanks,
Bhavesh

The application for the actual Card is done at the time of stamping. Your recent ADIT photos and Index prints are done at the time of stamping.
Not sure which is your center, but if you get there early, you can be out within a couple of hours. I went for my Stamping in Atlanta, GA at 6.15 am and was out of the office at 7.45 am, so really didnt miss too much of work.

Stamping is necessary to get the actual card cuz thats when they take the actual application..

you can go after 2 months if u'd like..but u have waited all these years to get this far and u want to delay another 2 months? that's strange...but to answer ur question..yes u can wait..

Madhav

Bhavesh,

you need to get it stamped, so you can Fp the form for the actual card. It should,t take too long. It took me 1.5 hours in Dallas.

You are in Houston, right gujubhai?

Originally posted by Bhavesh
My 485 got approved on 03/09/2004. Currently I'm so busy at work that I can not afford to take a day off for the passport stamping.

Is passport stamping necessary? Can I do it after say 2 months?

Do they send the card only after the passport is stamped?

Thanks,
Bhavesh
You need to get stamping. The officer will fill up I-89 form for you. They will also take the print of your index finger which will appear of green card. You will not get your green card until you stamp your passport. Your status will not change unless you go for stamping.

Just want to clear something up. Passport stamping by itself is NOT necessary to get the plastic card. However you do need to have the form I-89 filed and index finger print and 2 ADIT photos submitted and to do that you do need to appear in person at the local service center. And since you have to do that, you might as well get your passport stamped, too.

The reason I'm saying this is not to be a smartass, but because there are people out there who for whatever reason may not have a valid passport, cannot get a valid passport, or have a passport that will expire soon and their country's bureaucracy takes forever to extend it, or issue a new one. Don't let those problems stop you from getting the plastic card because they don't have to. Just show up and submit the photos, get the small FP and I-89 done, and you'll get the plastic card soon.

Originally posted by Anajoti
Just want to clear something up. Passport stamping by itself is NOT necessary to get the plastic card. However you do need to have the form I-89 filed and index finger print and 2 ADIT photos submitted and to do that you do need to appear in person at the local service center. And since you have to do that, you might as well get your passport stamped, too.

The reason I'm saying this is not to be a smartass, but because there are people out there who for whatever reason may not have a valid passport, cannot get a valid passport, or have a passport that will expire soon and their country's bureaucracy takes forever to extend it, or issue a new one. Don't let those problems stop you from getting the plastic card because they don't have to. Just show up and submit the photos, get the small FP and I-89 done, and you'll get the plastic card soon.

Those who don't have valid passports still need stamping to show proof that they are now legitimate US LPRs. This is done by issuing a card with the applicants picture on it and stamping that card with the "temporary evidence.." phrase.
Without the stamp there is no proof for employment authorization or for travel. It is probably also required by law since law requires all aliens to carry registration receipts ( officialese for GC or stamp).

Originally posted by Anajoti

Those who don't have valid passports still need stamping to show proof that they are now legitimate US LPRs. This is done by issuing a card with the applicants picture on it and stamping that card with the "temporary evidence.." phrase.
Without the stamp there is no proof for employment authorization or for travel. It is probably also required by law since law requires all aliens to carry registration receipts ( officialese for GC or stamp).

Just some minor clarifications

You become a LPR by virtue of your I-485 being approved. Not stamping the passport does not invalidate you not being a PR. However many people get the passport stamped since you need to show proof of being a PR and therefore admissable into the U.S when returning from travel abroad or for proving PR status for employment purposes. This is just an interim solution until you receive the actual card. However to receive the actual card you do need to pay a visit to the local district CIS office and fill up the aplication form for the card and be fingerprinted. Again... failing to do so does not mean you are not a PR but you will have a hard time proving you are one without the card or passport stamped if you are traveling across the border or are stopped for some reason by a federal official. I'm sure the matter would be resolved after verification and investigation but why the hassle??Also I think a PR must at all times carry proof of his status.

So yes you can wait for a few weeks if you do not plan on traveling and not looking for a job, this will not affect your status but eventually you do need to carry around proof and will have to visit the district office to make the application and as someone pointed out no harm in getting passport stamped as well. Also the passport stamp does not contain any photo ID other than your passport photo that your passport already contains. The ADIT style photos that you submit is used to making your actual plastic card. It is just a stamp with some verbage like "I-551 temporary evidence of lawful permanent residence status" and the INS officer will write details of your SRC number, approval category and approval date in ink below it, so a federal official can pull up and verify your details from the database.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for it ASAP

Guys, right now plastic cards are being mailed out at amazing speeds left right and center. I do know that in 97 to 99, these same cards took upto 2 years to be issued because INS ran out of the plastic to make these cards on. HENCE SCREW THE JOB AND GO GET YOUR PAPERWORK DONE. I DOUBT YOU ARE GOING TO GET A PROMOTION OR A BONUS FOR WORKING AN EXTRA DAY.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I think all the preceding posts summarise the topic beautifully.

HI

One of my friend said , when he went get stamp in his passport(Interview), officer didn't ask any thing at the end of interview like all previous issued H1's,Ead's, I-94 not even ADIT photos, even my didn't ask officer whether he need to submit all. just they interviewed him and approved the case and finally gave a stamp in his passport. but his signed on some paper, and gave index finger print,
So how can he get plastic card!! if office forget to ask about all previous h1's Ead's and I-94 should we need to remember officer about them or is it ok to not submit all those!! is there any problem in getting plastic card.

whatagc,

That your friend signed and gave his index finger print is enough for him to get the card. Even when you go for stamping, that's all they ask. The other docs like current EADs,H1s Aps are asked to be destryoed or not used hence forth. That's it. Its not imperative that you take them for stamping. All I took was my passport and approval letter. When aske dfor other docs, I said I had brought nothing. No problems. They stamped it.

Hope that helps.

Bhavesh,

As somone pointed pout, stamping is only a temporary evidence of LPR. You can just wait for the card. But, you still will have to make a trip to sign and give your index fingerprint (nope, not to be confused with FP .. this is the fingerprint that is actually printed on your physical greencard).

hello guys...

i am in different situation :

My spouse just left to India with valid AP/EAD for one year and her
i-485 got approved yesterday.

Does she can wait 4 or 5 months to get it stamped {ofcourse due
to travel with infant } or how long legally she can postpone her
551 stamping ??

any toughts >>>>

Rgds..