Is it true: Community college I-20 and F1 Visa

MA001

Registered Users (C)
Hi
I have seen conflicting comments on the internet. Confusion is whether going for a F1 Visa with admission in a community college automatically makes it difficult to get visa or... it doe snot matter.
Please help me understand. Since community colleges are far lower in tuition, intent is to save money for the first two years of education.

It's only cheap for local residents and or citizens.
Anyways if you are adjusting status in US, it would not matter, but sure if you are applying from a different country then the CO knows it's a community college and would look twice on your finances and might refuse but as such there is no policy that a I-20 from a community college should be refused.

Thanks for your reply.
I am applying from outside US for the first time entering US as F1 student. For the same reason you mentioned, I am trying to find a 'not too expensive' university or college. But What I am finding that most of the cheaper ones are offering Associate of Science Degrees, and not 4 years degree. Dont know if a 2 years school will be treated the same way as Community college. I guess it is important to have I20 from a school offering a Bachelor's degree.

Thanks for your reply.
I am applying from outside US for the first time entering US as F1 student. For the same reason you mentioned, I am trying to find a 'not too expensive' university or college. But What I am finding that most of the cheaper ones are offering Associate of Science Degrees, and not 4 years degree. Dont know if a 2 years school will be treated the same way as Community college. I guess it is important to have I20 from a school offering a Bachelor's degree.

Many students in the U.S. get the required "liberal arts" courses out of the way via first attending a 2 yr college. In most states at least a portion of the 2 yr colleges and the 4 yr universities and graduate schools are in a state run system so, course work is generally very easily transferred. Then there are the lesser 4 yr only state colleges and the 4 yr universities WITH graduate schools.

In NY and CA, there are local (city and county) community colleges (associates degrees and GED's and certificate programs) loosely overseen by -----

the state university systems, which itself is comprised of -----

state colleges that mostly grant bachelor's but some may also have associates degrees (some of these have limited graduate courses/programs, generally only to a Masters Degree) AND -----

full fledged universities that grant bachelor's, master's and doctorates.

I am afraid of using a two year college I-20; because of high probability of rejection (based on what I have heard), not sure if this is correct though.

I am afraid of using a two year college I-20; because of high probability of rejection (based on what I have heard), not sure if this is correct though.

Since you are so unsure, then does it make sense to base your decision on the rumors you've heard? Question the source of your information and do independent research. Investigate the actual schools that you are considering. It is not unreasonable to see a lousy school with bad academics to be routinely rejected BUT in order to get approval from ICE as a SEVIS school, they are checked out. Avoid unqualified schools with bad reputations. You don't have to rule out ALL Community Colleges. As a prospective student, you should just "do your homework"!

Also, how good are your qualifications for a student visa? Got the grades? Can you get accepted? Did you or can you pass entrance exams, if required? Got the financing for your education?

Even if you have to pay "non-resident" tuition, it will be less expensive at a Community College.

I have also read similar statements stating that applying to a Community College looks bad to the Consular Officer.

I agree with BigJoe5 and previous posters, as long as the Consular Officer is aware that this is a Community College and you still plan to go to a regular school after 2 years, I don't think this should be a problem.