Is it possible to take the oath in a different DO?

mohu

Registered Users (C)
Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere... I have tried to search the threads for answers with no luck... I realize it's possible to postpone the oath till I am back in town, but I have to travel (for 3 months) within the US for business... and i think that I will miss any oath dates in my DO till February or March...

My question is... can I ask to take the oath in a different DO? For example, I applied under San Francisco DO but can ask to have the oath scheduled in New York? Or am i just asking for more trouble and delay? Is it better to just try and take my oath in February or March?

Part of the issue is that I may have to travel internationally in February and I would rather have the citizenship finished sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance for your advice. :)

The answer is NO. You can only be sworn in your DO or risk delay. Unless you are traveling on US govt work, tough luck. Just make the time and day to be there and good luck...:D

NO! Boy oh boy, is your job so bad/stressful that you cannot make some kind of arrangement? You have come this far, don't throw it out the window.
If it really means something to you to become a US citizen, make it work. Get on a red-eye, drive 10 hours, whatever. I cannot see any employer who could hold attending the oath ceremony against you. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice... I am happy to fly back for the oath on a redeye if I have to... I was just trying to see if there was an alternative before I make that decision or before I delay the oath till later.

And no.. I don't work for an Embassy or Government... (I work in the film business and I have a film shoot scheduled on the days for the oath in December) :)

The only way you possibly can get the oath taken at another DO is if you moved to another service area after interview and notified them about it. However, this would cause more headaches and delays than its worth.

Thanks bob

It sounds like the easiest thing to do (path of least resistance) is to fly back for my oath date... since I just want to get things done sooner than later.

I just want to say that this board is a really great resource and I'm really thankful for all the people who come together and share their knowledge and advice... and big thanks to Mr. Khanna who put it together.

There is one thing that I don't quite get. If you are going to travel so extensively and randomly and considering that USCIS takes a few weeks to make any changes how do you know you'll be in New York at a particular date? Anyway, as others have pointed out and you have pointed out yourself, flying back to take your oath is the path of least resistance.