Is it possible to get a copy of the signed N-400?

biker

Registered Users (C)
Not sure if anyone has asked this question here before.

As is normal practice (I believe) during the interview, the IO scribbled notes at a few places on my n-400 application form based on whatever I was saying (even not so important stuff that I mentioned in passing). But the IO's handwriting was barely legible and I was too focussed on answering the IO's questions to be able to review the notes. These were not like numbered "changes".

When I sign this application under oath, I am basically certifying that everything on the application (including the notes by the IO I imagine) is true and I am culpable for any errors.

While I am not worried about my case at all as it is very uncomplicated, I have a queasy feeling about not getting a chance to validate the interviewer's notes to make sure that they reflected my statements exactly (I mean the IO could have misunderstood what I said) . Yes, I suffer from OCD and worry about trivial matters other people will not give a second thought about :)

So - is there a way to get a copy of my signed N-400 for my records? I see some mention of a process to request records on the USCIS website, not sure if it includes a signed application form.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no use worrying about this now. You already signed it, so just wait and see what happens. If you're approved, it won't matter.

So which N-400 will I get? He was making changes and notes on the same form. Plus it was not as if he was making notes privately, it was right in front of me.

If you file an FOIA request, a copy of N-400 should be sent. Since the IO made notes on it, so either you get the copy with the notes
or you get a copy with noteds striken out. FOIA doe snot prevent the government from blacking out something.

But FOIA process is very long, by the time you get the repsonse, a deccision will have been made by that time.

I am not worried about the decision. My case is quite simple and straight forward actually and I was 100% honest about everything.

I just don't like the feeling of having signed on a document that somebody else scribbled notes into that I did not even get a chance to review.

I guess it is just my OCD nature troubling me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that's a good attitude. I hadn't thought about it. But, I don't think that you affirm the IO's notes are true when you sign the application; just what you wrote.

I guess that's a good attitude. I hadn't thought about it. But, I don't think that you affirm the IO's notes are true when you sign the application; just what you wrote.

I hope so.

May be I am making a big deal but I don't know why USCIS cannot just give a copy of the changed document to the applicant for their records immediately following the interview.

I mean if you see other areas of your life - any contract or legal transaction - they give you a copy of the document you just signed.

File an FOIA request with USCIS and you will get a copy on a CD in about 4-6 weeks. I applied a few weeks ago and an I on track to receive the N-400 related docs in my A-File in a few weeks.

What is there to worry about? Your entire interview was recorded, and I assume you passed. No one will ever look at this damn N400 ever again. If it really came down to it, you could sue USCIS and most likely win whatever you are concerned about.

That's interesting. i did not know that the interviews were audio-recorded.
If so, that is a big relief. Thanks.

That's interesting. i did not know that the interviews were audio-recorded.
If so, that is a big relief. Thanks.

They are audio and video recorded. My IO specifically made me aware of that before we got started

They are audio and video recorded. My IO specifically made me aware of that before we got started

An IO at my interview also informed me that the interview would be audio and video recorded before we got started.

An IO at my interview also informed me that the interview would be audio and video recorded before we got started.

Interesting. Because I don't recall my IO notifying me about it in advance.

Just curious - has anybody tried getting a copy of the tape through FOIA ? Is it even possible?

Whether they want to record it is at the discretion of the interviewing officer - not mandatory, not a standard operating procedure.
I too would be curious to know if it is something we can request thro' FOIA.