Is it ok to travel to your country of origin after you receive your green card?

homeseek

Registered Users (C)
As an assylee is it ok to travel to your country of origin after you receive your green card? My dad's mediacal condition is getting critical and I really want to see him. You might have already discussed this in this forum but I'm new. I appreciate any suggestion and information.

This issue has been a torn in my flesh.. The truth is you must have concrete evidence why you returning to COP since a family memeber is sick then when asked at port of entry or in the future, just show evidence like medical records and so on.. Most people will rather wait until they become a citizen..

You should search this forum for informed opinion on this issue. TortFeasor (a forum member) wrote a well reasoned opinion on this issue. My lawyer told me that a greecard holder can definitely return to his/her home country, so did a lawyer for another forum member. FYI, I plan to go back to my home country end of this May, and I absolutely have no apprehension or fear about this.

There is a small group on this forum who counsel agaist going back, but their opinions seem to be based mostly on their own reasonings with little backing from actual facts.

Thanks for your response. Are you going using your national passport or an RTD? Please share your experience on this forum when you come back. Thank you.

yes .. pls do share ur experience

yes .. pls do share ur experience once u get back to U.S ...

thank you.

pvlaca said:
You should search this forum for informed opinion on this issue. TortFeasor (a forum member) wrote a well reasoned opinion on this issue. My lawyer told me that a greecard holder can definitely return to his/her home country, so did a lawyer for another forum member. FYI, I plan to go back to my home country end of this May, and I absolutely have no apprehension or fear about this.

There is a small group on this forum who counsel agaist going back, but their opinions seem to be based mostly on their own reasonings with little backing from actual facts.

That is correct. My attorney said the same. He even said that I could travel with Travel Document (he probably meant RP) if I have trouble obtaining NP. Not sure that this applies to all countries but certainly (according to him) to former Soviet Union and former Yugoslavia (all republics).

At this moment, we all agree that you may not have any problems coming back, how it will affect your citizenship is still a mystery

check out this article attached here! it is the official announcement released by USCIS prohibiting Asylum GC holders from traveling to their COP.

although most users might say that it is OK to do so, you must bear in mind that your are legally asked not to do it!

this decision completely should be made based on you own judgement! your best solution would be to contact a lawyer and get a reentry permit from USCIS through your lawyer based on supporting documents backing up your extenuating circumstances!

best of luck!

Questions may arise, but so many have said that if the reason is legitimate, and you can explain yourself, then you should be oke. No guarantees, but chances are if you're sincere and you can prove it, and not stay for a year in your COP, then you shouldn't have a problem showing this during your interview or POE entry. Having said that, to go to your COP, your COP passport is probably the document to use, because any other US document may give you problems there.