Is it OK to check others' status?

2010citizen

Registered Users (C)
I have been checking the status of 5 numbers before and 5 numbers after mine, and was wondering if its OK to do that. I am doing this just to see how the movement is and estimate my inteview date, and infact I added these numbers to my case status portfolio. I have even been getting emails and texts when there is a change in status for these numbers. Since this is public information, I think its OK to do that, but just want to make sure I am not doing anything illegal.

It is unethical though not illegal to check the status of someone else's case status.

But in your case, it is stupid because the numbers preceding & succeeding
yours may belong to different categories and could move faster/slower depending on the case type and category!

So, quit checking others' case status and check only yours.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

i agree.WITH LAST POST..it does not give you any useful info and boarderlines with ethics, potential legal issues (although your motives are not to invade and use other info)

Thanks. I removed other case numbers from my portfolio. I started tracking them only since yesterday after I started getting nervous about the delay in my case. But somehow it didnt feel right, and now a weight is lifted off my shoulders.

How is this unethical? I will have to read the terms and condition of the website to see if it has legal ramification.

How is this unethical? I will have to read the terms and condition of the website to see if it has legal ramification.

guju,

Ethical, is a matter of princilples. Doing the right thing, as your mind and society percevies it.

If someone opens a coffee shop and say we have no price list for any of our coffee. You can pay anything you feel is right, or don't pay anything if you think our coffee is not worth it.
It would be unethical if you go to this shop for the mere reason of having a free coffee, even when you like the coffee.

The legality of the issue would however depend on the terms and conditions.

BTW, we do have such a coffee shop here at Kirkland, Washington. I forgot the name.
Anyone from WA remerber the name?

Besides ethical issues, I think this can create a legal compliance issue too.

For example, if you are tracking the case via registering USCIS.. This is a message from log in system for USCIS case status….
“YOU HAVE CONNECTED TO A U.S. GOVERNMENT COMPUTER. IF YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO ACCESS THIS SYSTEM, DISCONNECT NOW. All attempts to access and use this system and/or its resources are subject to keystroke monitoring and recording. Everyone using this system expressly consents to such monitoring and is advised that if such reveals possible evidence of criminal activity or abuse of authority, the information will be reported to authorities for action. Unauthorized access attempts or use in excess of documented authority may subject you to a fine and/or imprisonment in accordance with Title 18, USC, Section 1030 or administrative penalties or dismissal.”

So if you are using the case number which was issued by US GOV for the other individual without an authorization, I think you may find yourself technically in violation of the law. I know this is a stretch.

Just imagine, if someone may your case number to steal your identity for for the other ill intents.

YOU HAVE CONNECTED TO A U.S. GOVERNMENT COMPUTER. IF YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO ACCESS THIS SYSTEM, DISCONNECT NOW. All attempts to access and use this system and/or its resources are subject to keystroke monitoring and recording. Everyone using this system expressly consents to such monitoring and is advised that if such reveals possible evidence of criminal activity or abuse of authority, the information will be reported to authorities for action. Unauthorized access attempts or use in excess of documented authority may subject you to a fine and/or imprisonment in accordance with Title 18, USC, Section 1030 or administrative penalties or dismissal

Let's pick this apart for a moment.

How do I know I am authorized to access this system. They are not saying look only at your file, they are saying access to the system.

Ok, so they want to record keystrokes. Fine. Go ahead. What do I lose ... as long they do not infect my computer with a spyware logging all keystrokes till eternity.

Criminal Activity. Unless OP wants to mis-use this information somehow, I do not see how this could be criminal.

Abuse of authority - YES. However, if I send the daily status mail to a MAILINATOR account, how will they find me?

At the same time, I am sure if they caught you, none of these reasons will fly.

Abuse of authority - YES. However, if I send the daily status mail to a MAILINATOR account, how will they find me?
They capture your IP address when you use the web site. Then the IP address combined with the date and time of access can be used to subpoena your name and address from your Internet provider's logs.

This amounts to seeing posted grades online at the end of the school year for your entire class. While you may be able to see the grade, you can't determine who the grade was given to. I don't see the harm.

guys chill out its a bug

If uscis introduces a feature ( or new field) in check case status and ask you to enter your last name or something like last 4 digits of ssn or a# then this it would be really hard to check someones else status.

Will you agree :)

Rekha

Just imagine...if Mr. X case number was stolen by ill intended people to sell his/her identity or other criminal activities ("angry"/unhappy former spouse engaged in unlawful activity to stop OP to get GC, USC /other immigration benefits...believe me. this happens...I have a friend in LA whose former spouse was trying to mess her USC case....)

Mr. X contacts USCIS about this, and then USCIS launches investigation, part of which will be screening IP address of the people who used and checked Mr. X case. If you are one of them, then you can be suspect and the burden will be on you to prove and explain that why you have been using someone else’s CASE NAME without authorization.

I think USCIS message above about the legality of your action says well and the system is being monitored and if you are using it without authorization and the US law enforcement authorities can fine you including criminal charges.

Again, i realize this is a stretch from the law perspective. However, once you make a move in that direction, burden will be always on you to prove that you did not have ill intentent (e.g. how do we know you are not trying to guess last 4 digit SSN...and pretend to be OP of that case number with criminal intent)..

They capture your IP address when you use the web site. Then the IP address combined with the date and time of access can be used to subpoena your name and address from your Internet provider's logs.

I agree with Jack and DreamUSA.

This can easily transform from an Immigration Matter to a Litigation Matter, if there is a subpoena based on IP and keystrokes.

Guys,

As I said before, I only did it one day and stopped it from the next day after reading the answers to my post here. So lets just drop this before I panic anymore.

You are in trouble. :eek:

Shutdown the PC/laptop permanently, cut off your internet account and go in hibernation under table till you get citizenship approved. :eek:

Take it easy. Just kidding. :D

I have few case numbers in my portfolio for last 5-6 years that do not belong to me. Nothing happened so far :)

Guys,

As I said before, I only did it one day and stopped it from the next day after reading the answers to my post here. So lets just drop this before I panic anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just imagine...if Mr. X case number was stolen by ill intended people to sell his/her identity or other criminal activities ("angry"/unhappy former spouse engaged in unlawful activity to stop OP to get GC, USC /other immigration benefits...believe me. this happens...I have a friend in LA whose former spouse was trying to mess her USC case....)

Mr. X contacts USCIS about this, and then USCIS launches investigation, part of which will be screening IP address of the people who used and checked Mr. X case. If you are one of them, then you can be suspect and the burden will be on you to prove and explain that why you have been using someone else’s CASE NAME without authorization.

When doing a random case lookup on the web status page, there's no relationship between case number and applicant name, so the scenario you mention dos not apply in the OP's case.

Then the IP address combined with the date and time of access can be used to subpoena your name and address from your Internet provider's logs.

This can easily transform from an Immigration Matter to a Litigation Matter, if there is a subpoena based on IP and keystrokes.

That's assuming it's illegal to look up random case numbers on the web status site..which it isn't.

You are in trouble. :eek:

Shutdown the PC/laptop permanently, cut off your internet account and go in hibernation under table till you get citizenship approved. :eek:

Take it easy. Just kidding. :D

I have some of the case numbers in my portfolio for last 5-6 years that do not belong to me. Nothing happened so far :)

usnycus, USCIS has been tracking you by your MAC Address (Media Access Control address) which is globally unique to your network card.
They are waiting for the right moment to pounce on you. So, Be Patient.

You would have to melt your hardware without creating any toxic fumes, to hide your MAC Alibi.

Just kidding guys. :D

:eek: :D :D

g8 that you told me. Now you are in trouble too :eek: by helping me :D.

Btw, I planning to hide with OP :) ........ now that you are in trouble too :) would you like to join us :D:D

usnycus, USCIS has been tracking you by your MAC Address (Media Access Control address) which is globally unique to your network card.
They are waiting for the right moment to pounce on you. So, Be Patient.

You would have to melt your hardware without creating any toxic fumes, to hide your MAC Alibi.

Just kidding guys. :D