Is it MUST to surrender US license when you get ON driving license?

ginnu

Registered Users (C)
Or one can just submit the Driving record from US (NJ) for past 4 years (one can get it from NJ DMV by paying $ 10 fees)
If one submits the US DMV record do they still take the US license or one can keep US license and can also get ON DL.
I am asking this question because I know a friend he did not surrender US license and got ON DL. He is having both the licenses of ON and US
I have read in many postings in Past that one can not keep both US and ON or Canada license and it is illegal, I did not find any info on Driving license Ontario site regarding this rule nor NJ, MD, VA DMV driving books have any instruction that one can not have Canadian license at the time one has US DL.

Because if you show Indian DL with some good EXP (more than 4-5 years) or IDP from India they count it as experience and one has to give knowledge test, eye test and then one can directly go for G2 road test, or given G1, they don’t keep your Indian DL with them and no need to surrender. Then why they want US DL to be surrendered when you can give the record if US DL, because these days if one is working in US it very important to have US DL, but when you want to go for PR card pick up they ask you Canadian DL or Heath Card, one can not get heath card in Ontario with out giving proof of renal agreement or ON DL, utility bills, bank statements for past 3 months. I know it is difficult to provide all these document if one is working in Canada PR and US.
Why they want US DL to be surrendered when you want to exchange for ON DL? Why only US driving record is not accepted as proof?
Any comments

Originally posted by ginnu
Or one can just submit the Driving record from US (NJ) for past 4 years (one can get it from NJ DMV by paying $ 10 fees)
If one submits the US DMV record do they still take the US license or one can keep US license and can also get ON DL.
I am asking this question because I know a friend he did not surrender US license and got ON DL. He is having both the licenses of ON and US
I have read in many postings in Past that one can not keep both US and ON or Canada license and it is illegal, I did not find any info on Driving license Ontario site regarding this rule nor NJ, MD, VA DMV driving books have any instruction that one can not have Canadian license at the time one has US DL.

Because if you show Indian DL with some good EXP (more than 4-5 years) or IDP from India they count it as experience and one has to give knowledge test, eye test and then one can directly go for G2 road test, or given G1, they don’t keep your Indian DL with them and no need to surrender. Then why they want US DL to be surrendered when you can give the record if US DL, because these days if one is working in US it very important to have US DL, but when you want to go for PR card pick up they ask you Canadian DL or Heath Card, one can not get heath card in Ontario with out giving proof of renal agreement or ON DL, utility bills, bank statements for past 3 months. I know it is difficult to provide all these document if one is working in Canada PR and US.
Why they want US DL to be surrendered when you want to exchange for ON DL? Why only US driving record is not accepted as proof?
Any comments

I think there is some aggreement b/w US and CA to accept & exchange/transfer licence.

when you go for CA DL to ontario's ministry of transportaion you will have to surrender your US license to get Canadian licence. Canadian DOT has a direct link to the US central DL database. Before issuing DL they check the status of your US DL to see whether its has been suspended due to some serious violation check the us national database register, it is the same process that when you move to another state and exchange your old DL with that new state's DL and they also first do the similar check). (and thats why exchange of US DL is only done at MoT not at any of their franchise in Toronto).
If there is nothing wrong with US DL then they will issue you cdn licence. Now if your US licence is less than 2 years older the will issue you G2 (graduate level 2) for 2 years or older US dl they will issue G (full licence). They will also send your old US licence to the state which issued it for cancellation. Even if you insist that you want to keep US dl as well, they wont allow or will not issue you canadian DL. So the process is pretty much same as like going to another state and exchanging old state licence with the new state licence.

I heard people use diving recs from US state and used them to get a canadian DL, and came back to US and continue using US DL, not sure what happen in that case that does canadian MoT inform US State about it or not.

If you just want DL as an ID just go to MoT and have that knowledge test and get the G1 learner permit (takes 3-4 weeks to reach your Canadian address plus you also had to show your passport as an id) that would work as a valid ID, without mentioning about your US DL. Later you can take road test to get G2.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: