Is it mandatory to inform SSA about new status?

marco2009

Registered Users (C)
Is it mandatory or optional to update status with SSA from alien to citizen?

All I have received after oath was instruction how to apply for passport. I was not able to find any instruction on SSA site not other government sites regarding this issue.

It is not mandatory, but it could be to your benefit. It's up to you.

I appreciate your reply. As far as I know there is no difference between LPR and citizen when it comes to SSA. Both have the same rights.

To what kind of benefit you refer that is available to citizen and not to LPR?

I remembered vaguely that I looked up SS benefits for LPRs compared with US citizens. See the link:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10137.html

Now, if one does not inform SSA of US citizenship status, and one is out of country and SSA has you as a LPR and a citizen of some other country, your benefit payments may be impacted in certain cases (of course, you can correct it if you so wish, but if someone insists on not updating SSA, he/she may experience some grief in certain situations).

I was reading a GAO report recently about E-Verify (I think) and the plan is to make SSA/USCIS/DOS databases talk to each other, so the question might become moot in future as to the decision to update SSA or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again – I did see this publication and there is no SSA requirement for naturalized citizens to update their status. This publication refers to new rules regarding application for Social Security card.

Once again - READ!!!

What if my immigration status or citizenship changed?

If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated. To get your immigration status or citizenship corrected, you need to show documents that prove your new status or citizenship. Only certain documents can be accepted as proof of citizenship for new and replacement cards. These include your U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current immigration documents

This is easy to understand. You just became US Citizen (it doesn't matter if you were born in the USA, by Parents or naturalization).