Is it advisable to call / not call for status update?

cons1234

Registered Users (C)
My priority date is in Jun 2001, and it has become current since last two months. My I-140 has been approved, and my I-485 was filed in Jun 2007. As per April bulletin from TSC, they are already processing applications received during that time frame.

The questions I have are:

1) Is it advisable to call USCIS to request status update? Does it help / hurt the processing?

My application is filed through immigration attorneys of my employer. They aren't interested in doing any follow-up request until six months after the priority date has become current.

2) What's the best way to request this status update by phone?

It used to be that after calling them, you select an option "to request change of an address" from voice menu to speak with a representative; and then request for status update. Is it still the best way to request this status?

3) Considering all the status information, I am thinking of waiting another month or two, before applying for renewal of EAD.

Is it possible to apply for renewal of EAD .... AFTER the first one has expired?

Appreciate any thoughts / suggestions,
Regards.

It can't hurt. Although the status update that you will get from the phone line may not be much different from what you see online. In some cases, folks had some success in getting useful information like when was the NC started, completed, assigned to an officer etc. Again it may bot the "accurate" as the people on the phones are third party contractors and act as a shield so the questions don't even get to the people who may have more accurate information on your case.
My priority date is in Jun 2001, and it has become current since last two months. My I-140 has been approved, and my I-485 was filed in Jun 2007. As per April bulletin from TSC, they are already processing applications received during that time frame.

The questions I have are:

1) Is it advisable to call USCIS to request status update? Does it help / hurt the processing?
Sometines when you get to an IIO at a service center(using the famous POJ method, look it up), he/she may ask you if the case was filed by an attorney or the applicant. He/She may or may not give you information if it was filed by an attorney. I don't have personal experience in that.
My application is filed through immigration attorneys of my employer. They aren't interested in doing any follow-up request until six months after the priority date has become current.
Depends on who picks up your phone and if they are willing to give you info. Yes, it is after the automated status message starts playing, press 3 and then 4.
2) What's the best way to request this status update by phone?
It used to be that after calling them, you select an option "to request change of an address" from voice menu to speak with a representative; and then request for status update. Is it still the best way to request this status?
Yes, you can apply for a new EAD after the expiry of the first. The exception would be if you were working on EAD then until you receive your new EAD, you CAN'T work. You can still stay in US legally while AOS is pending but just not work wihtout EAD. If you are maintaing H1 and wanted to obtain an EAD just in case you needed to use it, then it doesn't matter.
3) Considering all the status information, I am thinking of waiting another month or two, before applying for renewal of EAD.
Is it possible to apply for renewal of EAD .... AFTER the first one has expired?
Appreciate any thoughts / suggestions,
Regards.