Is H-1B stamp on passport irrespective of the I-797 approval.

manavbansal

Hi All,

I have two I-797 approvals from the same employer. The new one is for change of office location. I am visiting Canada for a week. I have to use my new I-797 approval to come back to US. I got the multiple entry H-1 visa stamp on passport from the old I-797 approval from India. Is the H-1 visa stamp from the old I-797 good to enter US while i will be using the new I-797. Is the H-1 visa stamp not specific to the I-797 approval.
Thank you for your help.

Q phrasing is a generalization...

However, in your case you don\'t need another stamp. You can enter with the old stamp and new I797 approval in hand. I presume that the second I797 was a H1 amendment approval. If access denied talk to a supervisor.

visa not required again and again

If you get new approval notice and new I-94 card subsequent to amendment in petition or change of employer, you don\'t need to get your visa stamped as long as you have a valid visa in the passport. Please note- H-1B is a category. Once you get it stamped first time, it is good for the entire duration irrespective of new approval notices due to change in employer or change in location.