Is direct citizenship possible from marriage without going through naturalization ?

absrao

Registered Users (C)
I was going through I-134 affidavit of support and came across an item 1(b).

It says the following. Wondering if direct citizenship is possible without the Naturalization process (n400).

1(b) of I-134 says
If a U.S.citizen through parent(s) or marriage, give citizenship certificate number.

Note that 1(a) says
If a U.S.citizen through naturalization, give certificate of naturalization number.

Nope. Unless you're born a citizen or derive it as a minor, you'll have to be naturalised.
Right, so I am wondering what that I-134 is referring to. I know marriage based cases are considered "Naturalized" and carry Certificate of Nat Number. Is it a mistake on I-134 or something else ?

Perhaps, many, many years ago it was possible and they use this wording in case there is a centenarian for whom the wording applies ;)

For sure, it is not possible today to derive direct citizenship through marriage.

Perhaps, many, many years ago it was possible and they use this wording in case there is a centenarian for whom the wording applies ;)

For sure, it is not possible today to derive direct citizenship through marriage.
may be many many years ago it was legal to marry minors in US and therefore they derive citizenship ... who knows how they operate ;)

I found one example that made this possible in the past:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86756.pdf

3) In addition, alien women who were married to Puerto Rican citizens
acquired U.S. citizenship automatically upon their husbands'
acquisition of U.S. citizenship pursuant to Section 5, unless they
were ineligible for naturalization.

This is from 1917, so my comment about centenarians was right :)

cool. there is always something new to learn. and i am hoping few of them are alive and fill out I134 :) god bless them.

Last edited by a moderator: