Is changing jobs really advisable?

sarahs456

Registered Users (C)
OK, so there are a lot of posts on here about people changing jobs once 180 days from their I-485 application dates have passed/they've got their AC21. But I was talking to a friend of mine who just did his citizenship interview and he was saying that it is better to wait at least two years after the gc is approved before changing. Otherwise USCIS could allege that you fraudulently obtained the gc as you never intended to work for that company permanently.

So it's got me confused as to the best thing to do. I don't want to jeopardize my citizenship application just because I want to change employers. I've stuck my job out for 6.5 years at this point (my company wouldn't apply for the I-140 until after we did my first 3-year H1B renewal), so I guess I can stick it out for longer if it's important to stay. But then so many of you guys seem to switch jobs quickly.

Does anyone know what is advisable? Does staying in your job really matter?

Thanks!

OK, so there are a lot of posts on here about people changing jobs once 180 days from their I-485 application dates have passed/they've got their AC21. But I was talking to a friend of mine who just did his citizenship interview and he was saying that it is better to wait at least two years after the gc is approved before changing. Otherwise USCIS could allege that you fraudulently obtained the gc as you never intended to work for that company permanently.

So it's got me confused as to the best thing to do. I don't want to jeopardize my citizenship application just because I want to change employers. I've stuck my job out for 6.5 years at this point (my company wouldn't apply for the I-140 until after we did my first 3-year H1B renewal), so I guess I can stick it out for longer if it's important to stay. But then so many of you guys seem to switch jobs quickly.

Does anyone know what is advisable? Does staying in your job really matter?

Thanks!

First of all we need to understand the underlying reason behind changing job as soon as person pass the AC21 limit. Nobody wants to leave the job if s/he is happy with the conditions. Generally most people stuck in GC process are exploited heavily (Salary wise) then other thing is they are stuck with the position without any promotion/progress.. Most of them had to go with one or another damn consulting companies due to circumstances just because of "Security Net" during the whole GC process which is THE HELL. So earliest "Safe" oppertunity is passing AC21. Now coming to your fear (Yes it is fear not the fact...) it might have happened one or two guys but in general it does not hold truth. If I have very good employer and am satisfied with my employment conditions then For the lifetime I would not think to leave the employer. So bottomline is you will have to evaluate your own situation and take decision. In general, If you want to get out, Passing 6 months after 485 filing is the safest net and changing employment after that does not affect your future citizenship application. By the way why do you want to be citizen?

Thanks bharatpremi. I have good employment conditions but am bored/there are no promotion prospects so I would like a change. It'd be nice to have full freedom to do what I want to, although I do realize I have to stay within the same employment field for a few years due to the gc.

Why do I want to be a citizen? Because then I can vote, take certain government jobs, and/or work just as a consultant and not an employee (not sure on the last one, but don't you have to remain an employee of someone if you are on a gc?). I don't have to give up my current citizenship to also become a US citizen, so I don't see any real downside to it. Not being able to vote really annoys me - taxation without representation isn't the best situation.

uhhhh...
you can do consulting on an H1b. You can also open a company and pay yourself on an H1b.

on a greencard, in addition to above, you can sit on your front lawn and watch grass grow. for life. no one will care.

As a citizen, in addition to above, you can also take the few ultra classified top secret jobs in the US government. That and not having to get a visa for half the world is the only advantage. plus since the jobs are ultra classified top secret you cannot apply for them even as a citizen since they are not advertised. so its a catch-22.

plus voting... but did you ever vote in your home country?? :)

Once you have your GC you don't have to be an employee. You could be a bum without a job if you wanted to. :) You could certainly do consulting, start your own company, have 10 jobs at the same time, and so on. No restrictions, so I guess the main thing about becoming a citizen is that you'll be able to vote and you can't be deported if you commit a crime. In my case I'd have to give up my current citizenship to become a US citizen, which I doubt I'm willing to do. My home country has universal health care, so if I become terminally ill it's nice to have that safety net instead of becoming bankrupt in the US. :)

Also, after a GC you don't have to stay in the same employment field.

Unless watching grass grow happens to be in your employment field.

ALTHOUGH, if you never used AC-21 in your GC process, then there is some unwritten restriction on switching jobs for 6 months or so.

Thanks bharatpremi. I have good employment conditions but am bored/there are no promotion prospects so I would like a change. It'd be nice to have full freedom to do what I want to, although I do realize I have to stay within the same employment field for a few years due to the gc.

Why do I want to be a citizen? Because then I can vote, take certain government jobs, and/or work just as a consultant and not an employee (not sure on the last one, but don't you have to remain an employee of someone if you are on a gc?). I don't have to give up my current citizenship to also become a US citizen, so I don't see any real downside to it. Not being able to vote really annoys me - taxation without representation isn't the best situation.

They are not a GOOD EMPLOYER based on your comments "bored/there are no promotion prospects" ;)

Once you have your GC you don't have to be an employee. You could be a bum without a job if you wanted to. :) You could certainly do consulting, start your own company, have 10 jobs at the same time, and so on. No restrictions, so I guess the main thing about becoming a citizen is that you'll be able to vote and you can't be deported if you commit a crime. In my case I'd have to give up my current citizenship to become a US citizen, which I doubt I'm willing to do. My home country has universal health care, so if I become terminally ill it's nice to have that safety net instead of becoming bankrupt in the US. :)

Mind if I ask where are you from? I want to be your country's citizen when i retired. :cool:

They are not a GOOD EMPLOYER based on your comments "bored/there are no promotion prospects" ;)

Well, that's what I think, but I was trying not to be too shallow. ;) They do at least pay me fairly well so I shouldn't complain too much.

Thanks everyone for the info. on working/not working while on a gc. I guess my friend is telling me incorrect info. The government jobs thing isn't only for top secret jobs though. For example, any patent examiner job at the patent and trademark office can only be taken by citizens. And patent examiner jobs are certainly options for those of us in the tech field. Those aren't exactly top secret jobs, as they're advertised fairly heavily.

And yes, I did vote in my home country, and would like to here!