Interview reschedule

hopeful2003

Registered Users (C)
My case is transferred to Columbus office last sometime March 2003 and interview was scheduled on sept 2003. I needed to travel for an emergency purpose and so I requested a reschedule.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the reschedule. I know columbus is one of the slowest office. Any input is fine.

Thanks
-hopeful2003 (I have to change my id to hopeful2004!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interviwed today but not approved

Me and my wife had interview today at local office, but the officer said she cannot approve because she needs to do background check which will take 90 days.....Does anyone know how long it takes reallt for background check?...also if all checks are done...do they schedule another interview or directly approve the case.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
hopeful2003

hopeful2003 said:
Me and my wife had interview today at local office, but the officer said she cannot approve because she needs to do background check which will take 90 days.....Does anyone know how long it takes reallt for background check?...also if all checks are done...do they schedule another interview or directly approve the case.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
hopeful2003
I am in the same boat. I had my interview like three months ago. The officer told me that my name check is not completed yet. I was told it could take between two weeks and six months and now my attorney tells me that it could take years!! So please let me know if it really takes 90days as you were told.

I don't think they will call you for another interivew. Based on other people's experiences when your background check is complete they will just send you an approval notice.

Let me know how it will go and good luck.

Be pro-active

I had my interview at Chicago in Jan 2003 and got the approval in May 2004 yes 2004. I was told the same thing that my back ground check is pending. After waiting for over a year, I wrote to FBI under freedom of information act to provide me the status of my name check/ background check. I was shocked when I received an e-mail from FBI that USCIS never requested a name check on me.

Then I wrote to my congressman's office and through their help, USCIS sent a name check request in March 2004 which was completed by FBI in April 2004 and I got my approval thereafter.

Please do not wait and Fax a request to FBI @ fax# 202-324-3367 with your name, A#, date of birth, complete address, phone# & e-mail address to provide the status of your name check. Usually they respond in 2-4 weeks advising the status by e-mail. If they have not received any request from USCIS as was in my case, they will advise you accordingly.

Standard Letter Format

Wamu - Do you have a standard letter format to send to FBI?. I went to BCIS office a week after my interview and asked about the status of my case and a lady there said that it will only take couple of weeks after the interview for their decision and she also insisted not to apply for any EAD renewals and waste money on that. Ofcourse, I just asked about the case and didnt say anything about name check.She said the officer will approve the case at the max of 1 week or so. But after seeing your response I guess I need to do something. Also, if you have a standard letter format, then it will be helpful for me. Also, I had the same kind of problem last year when I need to travel abroad and didnt had my AP approved and the local congressman helped me to get one. Can I go to the same congressman now?. Also they said they cannot do anything for approval but they can only help in getting AP. I am not sure how far they will be of help.

Thanks
-hopeful2003

Just an informal fax is required

Send a fax to:

David M Hardy
FBI Headquarters
FOI/ Name Check Section
Washington DC 20535

Dear Sir,

I have applied for adjustment of my status as lawful permanent resident. My application is pending adjudication at ____________ office of USCIS due to non-completion of security check/ name check by the FBI.

I, hereby request you to provide me the status of the name check requested by USCIS. Following are the details of my case:

Name:
A#:
SS#:
Date of Birth:
Address:
Phone# (work & home):
Fax#:
E-mail:

I may be reached by phone or e-mail, if you require any other information/ documents to process my request.

Sincerely,

Your Name
Address

hopeful2003 said:
My case is transferred to Columbus office last sometime March 2003 and interview was scheduled on sept 2003. I needed to travel for an emergency purpose and so I requested a reschedule.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the reschedule. I know columbus is one of the slowest office. Any input is fine.

Thanks
-hopeful2003 (I have to change my id to hopeful2004!)

I had the misfortune of rescheduling my interview at Arlington VA (March 2002). My lawyer was out of town. I am still waiting for the new date. I hope you will have better luck in ohio.

My reschedule was done but not approval

ZKHAN - My interview was rescheduled and we attended the interview on 07/01/2004 but the officer did not approve the case saying that she has to do background check on us. Now I am waiting for that. I dont know how long wil it take. Like others said it looks like it may take several months. Anyways like Wamu said I am going to fax the letter to fbi and request for info. I will update you guys once I hear anything.

GC Approved on 08/03/2004

Atlast our GC was aprroved yesterday and we did stamping today at local office. It took 1 month and 2 days after the interview to approve our case. :) . I asked how many days it will take to get the plastic and the officer said 8 months.

Good Luck to all

I will continue to see this forum and try to help the people who have questions.

Some details:

RD - 09/2001 (Yes 2001)
ND - 10/2001
1st FP - 09/2002
RFE - 12/2002
Transfer to local office - 03/11/2003
Interview scheduled - 09/22/2003 (couldnt make it and rescheduled)
2nd FP - 03/23/2004
Interview rescheduled - 07/01/2004
Approval - 08/03/2004

Thanks!
hopeful2003 (atlast hopeful2004)

Last edited by a moderator:
hopeful2003 said:
Atlast our GC was aprroved yesterday and we did stamping today at local office. It took 1 month and 2 days after the interview to approve our case. :) . I asked how many days it will take to get the plastic and the officer said 8 months.

Good Luck to all

I will continue to see this forum and try to help the people who have questions.

Some details:

RD - 09/2001 (Yes 2001)
ND - 10/2001
1st FP - 09/2002
RFE - 12/2002
Transfer to local office - 03/11/2003
Interview scheduled - 09/22/2003 (couldnt make it and rescheduled)
2nd FP - 03/23/2004
Interview rescheduled - 07/01/2004
Approval - 08/03/2004

Thanks!
hopeful2003 (atlast hopeful2004)

First of all congratulations. Enjoy your freedom.

Could you please tell me the name of your local office?? Did they say anything to you about rescheduling(like why did you reschedule??)
Thanks.

Local Office info and reason for reschedule

Our local office is Columbus, Ohio and the reason for reschedule is that we need to attend a marriage of my close relative for which I need to travel outside U.S.
Before leaving, I just called my lawyer and asked him to send a letter to BCIS that we will not be attending the interview on the specified date and time and that we are requesting for it to be rescheduled some time later. It normally takes 4 to 5 months to reschedule. However, in our case, our FP was expired when they took the case for reschedule and so they had to do the FP first and then reschedulke to a new date. Therefore, it took almost 10 months for us.

Let me know if you need any other info
Hopeful2003

Thank you for your prompt reply. If I think of any other question I will let you know. Once again thank you.

Congratulation Hopeful2003,

Enjoy your freedom.

Had you received your interview letter directly from USCIS at your hme address or via Lawyer office?

Shahid568

Question for ZKhan

Zkhan, Could you share how long it took to get the appointment rescheduled? I have to do the same for my wife and wondering whats the waiting time. Can we request another date or are at the mercy of local office. My local office is Milwaukee.

arch73 said:
Zkhan, Could you share how long it took to get the appointment rescheduled? I have to do the same for my wife and wondering whats the waiting time. Can we request another date or are at the mercy of local office. My local office is Milwaukee.

I am still waiting for my new date. I got my fourth EAD last week. Arlington office is probably the worst office in the country with the exception of Houston and New Jersey. Normally it take six month to get a reschedule from the local office(if you are lucky). My advice to you would be to go for the interview on time. I have heard about women who had to go to the hospital the same day went for the interview or people who were out of the country came back for the interview. Good luck.

Arch - Please try to attend the interview

I agree with ZKHAN. Try to attend the interview. Once you reschedule, it is under the mercy of local office I guess. Also make sure your FP is valid for atleast 8 to 10 more months so that you dont have to do one more before reschedule. They just see a reason to postpone things. I am not sure about your situation. But if possible try to attend the interview.

Thanks
- hopeful2003