Interview on 14th of February. No joint evidence

rajman 2

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone, I'm finding this forum very helpful, so thanks to everyone.

My interview is on the 14th of February (in about two weeks). I got married in October of 2006. I sent in my application on December 26th. The whole process has been very fast. However, I was unable to get joint evidence between me and my wife. The reason is that I am currently being sued by a corporation for breaking a retail store lease. The lawsuit started prior to our marriage.

My attorney advised that me and my wife can't co mingle financially because she can be included in the lawsuit. So we had to keep our financial's separate for now. However, is this going to create a problem with my IO.

We have pictures spanning over a year. We had a big wedding with family and friends, that included the church ceremony and the big reception. We have phone records for over a year, And we have scores of other evidence of our relationship. But no joint bills or bank statements.

What should I do? should I mention the lawsuit to my IO? maybe bring a copy of the lawsuit with me? Is it very important that we can show financial co mingling?

Please help me with respect to this issue, I would like to be prepared when we go for the interview.

Thanks.

what is your living situation? if you rent a place together are both of your names on the lease-bring that? do both of you have your driver's license with the same address on them? you could also get friends who can vouch for your relationship by having them write sworn affidavits. these might help.

I own my house, but I can't add her to the title yet. We both have a driver's license with the same address on them. We can have friend sign an affidavit confirming our relationship. Do you think this will suffice?

Thanks

i agree with triple citizen. tell them about the lawsuit and have your lawyer explain it. I think it is better to make them aware about the suit rather than them finding out some other time and then wonder why you did not disclose it.

get affidavits from friends but don't get too many. the best ones are from both set of parents. having pictures of your wedding, since it was so big may be good.

I would not worry about it too much. I did not have that much evidence myself. The strongest piece I had was a joint bank acct. They may be weird about it and make you sweat but just stay calm.

In case you weren't thinking about taking your lawyer, I would advise you to do so if it won't be a problem financially. Lawyers seem to be good on making conversation and feel free to bring up that you just applied in Dec.
I had applied late Nov (check my timeline) and my lawyer pointed that out and the IO said that that's ridiculous since it is too short of time.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Don't co-mingle funds...

rajman 2 said:
Hello everyone, I'm finding this forum very helpful, so thanks to everyone.

My interview is on the 14th of February (in about two weeks). I got married in October of 2006. I sent in my application on December 26th. The whole process has been very fast. However, I was unable to get joint evidence between me and my wife. The reason is that I am currently being sued by a corporation for breaking a retail store lease. The lawsuit started prior to our marriage.

My attorney advised that me and my wife can't co mingle financially because she can be included in the lawsuit. So we had to keep our financial's separate for now. However, is this going to create a problem with my IO.

We have pictures spanning over a year. We had a big wedding with family and friends, that included the church ceremony and the big reception. We have phone records for over a year, And we have scores of other evidence of our relationship. But no joint bills or bank statements.

What should I do? should I mention the lawsuit to my IO? maybe bring a copy of the lawsuit with me? Is it very important that we can show financial co mingling?

Please help me with respect to this issue, I would like to be prepared when we go for the interview.

Thanks.

Raj,

Since you are being sued, how much are you being sued for? Is your business a LLC? What your attorney advised you on is spot on, co-mingling of funds makes your wife a target of the plaintiff, and could bring financial ruins to both of you.

Since you got married in church, ask the minister or church elder to write a letter on the official church letterhead, attest to the bona fide nature of your relationship, after all, the church married you. Also, if you did pre-marital counselling in your church, then you could ask your pre-marital counsellors to write a letter, have it notarized to strengthen your position as people who are married till death do you part... not lawsuit.... :D

evidence could be many things: insurances (life, car, health and house), vacations pictures of you two, family gatherings- thanksgiving, Xmas or Hannukah, and many other things which establish joint-life of you guys. Email communications prior to you guys getting married, love notes, cards-valentines or birthday. receipts for flowers you sent her or sexy night clothes you bought her, so that you can show that this person is your wife, not your immigration-free-zone wife... :eek:

It is not important that you show financial co-mingling at this time, unless you want to get your whole family financial situation down the drain. I hope you have a good lawyer to mitigate potential ruin from this lawsuit... :cool: Take the copy of this lawsuit to the interview, get your lawyer to write a letter explaining to USCIS that you are being sued, and at his direction as your counsel, he instructed you NOT TO CO-MINGLE FUNDS with your wife at this stage, until this lawsuit is settled, because of the potential to screw the health of your family finances. :rolleyes: Moreover, it is his professional judgment that the interests of your family are better served by having seperate financial accounts, in order to protect each of you in this lawsuit...

Thank you so much Al Sothern. I will head your advice. Very detailed and makes since. I really appreciate everyone that post to my question. I will post what happens on the interview.