• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Interview in London Oct 28

Hi there. Just back from London, will post the whole interview soon after I manage to rest a bit. I just watned to post the wierd part and ask if anyody heard of this.

We did not get it today as they requested for more evidence.

All the papers were approved except the support part.

We had an official Job Offer in letterhead from our employer, but it did not state the precise salary as this is still under discussion.

The firt lady at the counter pointed to this and said it should have been stated.

However we went to the second stage, the actual interview witht he consular officer.

She simply told us that we need an affidavit of suport I-134 but not because of the salary not being clear in the job offer but because:

Once you get the visa approved you can go to the US but because the green card takes time to process during the first three months or so you are not allowed to work so the job offer does not mean much for this period and you need a sponsor or assets to make sure you can live on something during the time you are not allowed to work

I have never ever heard of anybody receiving an immigrant visa and not being allowed to work once they got to the USA. Anybody heard something like this? It does not make sense to me.

Thanks for any help.
JC

Yes it is weird over here....illegals are working and people legally here are affraid to work one day until they have all their papers ready.

Without a SSN or a person who knows some one at a bank, it is hard to obtain a credit card or opening an account...even renting can be hard without a credit history, and we were lucky we had a company supporting us when we came here 10 yrs ago.

I have said it over and over, people need to have funds or show proof of support...specially with the economy what it is. Today there was an announcement that the Homeland Security is losing a lot of money and need hundreds of millions or cut jobs...and they were talking about raising fees. Guess what will be first...if you guessed rasing fees you probably will be right. So next yr the DV fees might be way higher...:(

I'm sorry to say to some on this forum who were telling me I was crazy for saying that people need the sponsor form and if you barely can show proof of funds or not and you can't speak English very well....it will be hard to get the GC, so to every one who isn't speaking English very well...start today and take a crash course before your interview...

Last edited by a moderator:
CymruArgie,

I have checked with immigration layers and you should no have any problems in working after getting your immigration visa and arriving to the US. Of course that is after getting you SS sort out, this should not take longer.

I do have a Job in the US and will take to my CP job letter and I-134 just in case. As you said it sounds wired but you never know what to expect...

I am sure that you will be ok. Is obvious that the consular officer wanted to get more financial support from you, period...

Good luck,

I know this next question might be dummy but please anybodey has an idea?

When the form i-134 was in use for all visas (Years back I-134 is an old form) it was necessary to file together with a pile of copies of employment proof, slips, statements from banks and the likes.

However, in the blue form the consular officer gave us she ticked only the form section and did not tick any kind of proof or anythig. Does this mean that we only need to submit the form I-134 duly filled or we have to add all the other pile of copies, etc? I am asking this because some sponsors are willing to sponsor but not very happy about disclosing their income and assets and such.

Any idea?

Thanks
JC

Isn't the reason for the sponsor form to be filled out that all assetts are written on it...If some one has a mortgage on a home which is zero down, than the property isn't an assett until most is paid off...and right now many have these kinds of mortgages. This is just an example...

Sorry, I did not mean write on the form. I meant if those details are written on the form, there is still need to send in copies or proof? I mean if a sponsor writes that he earns 60 k does he have to send something else that proves that or it is not needed? The signing of I-134 is under perjury so what is stated there has to be the real thing. (This signing under perjury warning seems to be so important that the USCIS says in the website that because of it the form I-134 does not have to be notarized).

Thanks
JC

Sorry, I did not mean write on the form. I meant if those details are written on the form, there is still need to send in copies or proof? I mean if a sponsor writes that he earns 60 k does he have to send something else that proves that or it is not needed? The signing of I-134 is under perjury so what is stated there has to be the real thing. (This signing under perjury warning seems to be so important that the USCIS says in the website that because of it the form I-134 does not have to be notarized).

Thanks
JC

Hello CymruArgie,

I am not sure about the blue form that was given to you but the instructions for the I-134 say that the sponsor needs to provide evidence of sufficient income or financial resources and that the evidence consists of copies of any of the documents that apply to your situation.

It also says that failure to provide the evidence may result in the denial of the alien's application for the visa.

I would not take risks. Maybe it is better to provide one I-134 with all requirements than many that may be considered incomplete.

Is it possible for you to call the US Consulate and talk with the officer that required the I-134?

Good luck

As far as I know no additional proof is needed but could perhaps make the case for the DV winner a lot easier. My friend has savings and we think it will be enough so she won't need a sponsor form, but just in case we have told her we will be the sponsor and filled out the form and gave all proof of what we filled out....more proof to back up your case can make it easier, but isn't necessary since it isn't requested and the USCIS can easily do a background check on it...

In the US many Counties have public records so properties, liens, mortgages are to be find in it....I guess the USCIS can have access to bank accounts if they need or request proof if they don't trust it.

As far as I know no additional proof is needed but could perhaps make the case for the DV winner a lot easier. My friend has savings and we think it will be enough so she won't need a sponsor form, but just in case we have told her we will be the sponsor and filled out the form and gave all proof of what we filled out....more proof to back up your case can make it easier, but isn't necessary since it isn't requested and the USCIS can easily do a background check on it...

In the US many Counties have public records so properties, liens, mortgages are to be find in it....I guess the USCIS can have access to bank accounts if they need or request proof if they don't trust it.

Totally wrong! read the I-134 instructions http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134instr.pdf You need to provide "Supporting Evidence" for I-134. In this case there is a blue form that was giving to him by the consular office so it may not be necessary but the general rule is that you have to provide supporting evidence.

Okay...We already did and to me any one who is willing to sigh the form but isn't willing to provide the proof is giving a red flag sign!

Okay...We already did and to me any one who is willing to sigh the form but isn't willing to provide the proof is giving a red flag sign!

I don't understand what you say but I think it is a contradiction with what you wrote 20 minutes ago...

Too bad, you are still ASSUMING lot of things!

You can ASSUME it is just the 134 form, or be practical and provide the supporting docs to back up what is in i-134.

If the one who is ready to sign do not want to provide the supporting docs that means they are NOT serious enough to support you, that's how the embassy will interpret.

So its up to you to find ways and means to fulfill the requirements for the facts and figures needed, or face the inevitably dragging your case or worst.

JMHO.

Good Luck !

Some people are concern about showing personal income information and some other info a SS # and so on.

I asked a friend to give me one just in case. So to keep his privacy I asked him to get all the support information in a sealed envelop and promised not to used if it was not necessary….

One more time, it just depends on the relationship and trust that you have with your sponsor. Since this is a plan b for me given the fact that I already have a job did not need to make sure that he had more equity than me. If you are depending on this, as it seems to case, you have to be upfront clear about the importance of this for you so you sponsor sees the need to disclose his financial information.

As the instructions say in the form without all the support information the I-134 is worth nothing and it will probably only delay your case, just me humble opinion.

Good luck,

Some people are concern about showing personal income information and some other info a SS # and so on.

I asked a friend to give me one just in case. So to keep his privacy I asked him to get all the support information in a sealed envelop and promised not to used if it was not necessary….

One more time, it just depends on the relationship and trust that you have with your sponsor. Since this is a plan b for me given the fact that I already have a job did not need to make sure that he had more equity than me. If you are depending on this, as it seems to case, you have to be upfront clear about the importance of this for you so you sponsor sees the need to disclose his financial information.

As the instructions say in the form without all the support information the I-134 is worth nothing and it will probably only delay your case, just me humble opinion.

Good luck,

I understand why they have a concern...a lot of ID theft is committed every day and nobody wnats their personal info in the hands of a stranger. I wouldn't even give it to a stranger in a sealed enveloppe because how would I know that they won't open it....

But I think with so much ID theft and if you know how easy it is for people to get to others SSN#, etc... I doubt that too many even think about their responsibility and liability of being a sponsor, so IMO there will be people willing to sponsor because they haven thought it over....
(just one example of ID theft: the police always is warning the public not to put the mail in the mailbox at your property until the morning of the mail being picked up...and still many put it in the mailbox the evening before or even on a Saturday night while it won't be picked up till Monday...very easy for a criminal to have excess to checks, bills, and important info)

For that reason I would only sponsor a person I know for years as I'm doing in the case of my friends who's family I know for over 15 years.

I also agree that without proof, the paper isn't worth much or USCIS is willing to check on it, but it could mean that a person will be on longer processing...and to be honest with the news that came out this week from Homeland security and them losing money and might have to fire people and increase fees...I doubt they are willing to do research that could easily be provided as requested.

Good luck,

You don't need to promise. simply your sponsor can send the Affidavit of support to the embassy with a covering letter stating your case number.

I'm curious about your application and the process. I will be having my interview in London as well, and will be coming with a family of 5. So I will be monitoring your progress. Just update us of your experience, thanks

If my sponsor lives in CA and our intended address to live in in WA, would this affect our possibilites of approval?

Thanks
JC

No it all depends if you can proof your relationship with the sponsor. If it doesn't make sense they won't take it if you can show the business or family/friend relation ship you should be fine.

Thanks, if for any reason the affidavit is not accepted would we have the possibility of sending another? What you guys think?

Thanks

IMO you can send more than one but you have to understand, if after one that isn't excepted, and you send another one, it might become suspicious where that one is coming from, and why you didn't use that one in the first place...just common sense.