Interview in 3 days, please advise

Sahara24

I entered USA on B2 ( Tourist ) visa in April 2005. Prior to that i was Permanent resident of Singapore and was working in Singapore. I had also applied for Singapore citizenship.I applied for B2(tourist) visa when i was still in process of finalizing my marriage with with spousewho was in US at that time.My B2 visa was approved ( probably because i was PR of Singapore and also applied for singapore citizenship).I later got married to my husband in April 2005.He was a US green card holder when I got married( note that spouse of GC holder cannot come to US on dependant visa, can only come on H1-B(work visa) or to visit on B2 visa). I came to US in May 2005 on my approved B2 visa to join my spouse . After about 3 months or so I got a job under H1-B sponsorship. We consulted attorney in Houston and was told i could do adjustment of status from B2- H1B visa and dont have to leave US. So i continued staying on H1-B for 5 years.In November 2007 I had a child and I stopped working for about 2 years and I resumed working through the same employer( so during this time i was out of h1-B status since i didnt had pay roll during that time). After my husband received his US citizenship in October 2008, he applied for my US greencard via adjustment of status and I received my greencard in Feb 2010. I had not left USA until I received my greencard.

So when asked during interview as to why did i apply for B2 visa and come to US on B2 visa, what should i answer. Should i tell that i wanted to see if the marriage proposal works out with current spouse , hence wanted to come to US to meet him as well as to visit my cousins in US. But since we decided to get married later, i later came using the B2 visa to US after marriage and then converted to H1B through adjustment of status?

I think i said visiting a friend ( not my husband, one of his friend at that time) when i applied for B2 from Singapore , and when i entered US for first time on B2 also i think i said visiting friend, but not sure if i mentioned my husband name or his friend name.But i dont think they asked me if i am married when i entered USA. I really am not sure on whose name i used as visting friend at that time. I am confused and tensed. Please advise what would be best answer.

yes thats exactly what i am planning to tell. But there are something things that i dont even remember, for which also i will tell the truth that i dont remember. Also some fields are left blank in my n-400 , like spouse company name and children A no, and also one of my travel return date from India in last 5 yrs is typo and add 30 days more to total no of days of stay outside US. I was planning to tell this even if they didnt ask, would that be fine?

yes thats exactly what i am planning to tell. But there are something things that i dont even remember, for which also i will tell the truth that i dont remember. Also some fields are left blank in my n-400 , like spouse company name and children A no, and also one of my travel return date from India in last 5 yrs is typo and add 30 days more to total no of days of stay outside US. I was planning to tell this even if they didnt ask, would that be fine?

You will be swearing under oath that everything is correct so yes, if there is anything incorrect ln the n400 then you must correct it at interview.

The reason I asked if you were aware is because, at this point if they ask you why you traveled on your B visa to adjust status, you can truthfully claim that you were unaware that this was frowned upon, and that you then consulted an attorney who confirmed that you could. My point is that if you had been aware that you were doing something that would breach US immigration rules, it would be a different matter, but because you were not aware, though it was still your fault for not knowing the rules properly, it was an error on your part, but not intentional misrepresentation or deceit. Does that make sense?

Anyway, it is unlikely to come up during your interview after 15 years, but better to be ready with a response.

But, for your spouse's company name and child's A number, why did you leave those blank? You can provide the information at the interview, but I don't understand why you didn't look it up before submitting the application. Do you already have an interview date? Where are you in the process?

I don’t expect them to ask you that question about B1/B2. It’s a stupid question. Just answer the truth. In any case they have no record of what you verbally told the immigration officer at entry fifteen or whatever years ago.

You applied for it because you were visiting the USA and that’s true. The fact that it was your husband you were visiting is ancillary.

Don’t stress.