Interview experience at Chicago Do this morning

rkchi

Registered Users (C)
We arrived at 8:10 AM for a 8:45 AM interview. My wife was called almost instantly and was done in 15 minutes. I was called in at 9:00 AM and was also done in less than 15 minutes.

My IO was to the point no expression kind. She walked me the room and asked me to raise my right hand and take the oath. Then she asked for Green Card, Driver's License & Passport. She said she wanted to do the History test first. She asked me the following questions:

What are the colors of the flag?
Who is the President today?
Name one right that you have as a US Citizen
Who becomes the President if both President & Vice President Die?
When was the constitution written?
Name the amendments that guarantees a citizen the right to vote?

She stopped there as I answered all the 6 six questions correctly. Then she went through my application form and asked almost all Q & A that were answered there - Yes or No. She then asked me about my last trip outside the US. Then she asked me if I had ever been out of the US for more than 6 months. Then she asked me if I had any citations. I told her yes a speeding ticket and I paid the fine. The last thing she did was to make sign on my pictures and then sign on another document that listed my home address, phone number details etc.

Finally, she gave N-652 form that indicated I have passed the tests and Congratulations.

My wife said her IO was very nice & friendly but she pretty much went through the same steps as my IO. My wife requested that our Oath be done after Jan 7th as we had travel plans. Her IO said sure and also told my wife she will make sure my IO also knows. So when I was done I asked my IO and she said she is aware of the request and that it should be fine.

So that was it then.

My 2 cents: In general the atmosphere was very friendly and cordial. The way people were coming out of interviews made it look things being very easy. I am sure everyone has had their fears and experience but my feeling is if you are "clean" you have absolutely no reason to worry unless you face an disgruntled IO.

Good luck to all who are waiting. I will check the web site regularly and will also update when I get our oath letters.
:)

We arrived at 8:10 AM for a 8:45 AM interview. My wife was called almost instantly and was done in 15 minutes. I was called in at 9:00 AM and was also done in less than 15 minutes.

My IO was to the point no expression kind. She walked me the room and asked me to raise my right hand and take the oath. Then she asked for Green Card, Driver's License & Passport. She said she wanted to do the History test first. She asked me the following questions:

What are the colors of the flag?
Who is the President today?
Name one right that you have as a US Citizen
Who becomes the President if both President & Vice President Die?
When was the constitution written?
Name the amendments that guarantees a citizen the right to vote?

She stopped there as I answered all the 6 six questions correctly. Then she went through my application form and asked almost all Q & A that were answered there - Yes or No. She then asked me about my last trip outside the US. Then she asked me if I had ever been out of the US for more than 6 months. Then she asked me if I had any citations. I told her yes a speeding ticket and I paid the fine. The last thing she did was to make sign on my pictures and then sign on another document that listed my home address, phone number details etc.

Finally, she gave N-652 form that indicated I have passed the tests and Congratulations.

My wife said her IO was very nice & friendly but she pretty much went through the same steps as my IO. My wife requested that our Oath be done after Jan 7th as we had travel plans. Her IO said sure and also told my wife she will make sure my IO also knows. So when I was done I asked my IO and she said she is aware of the request and that it should be fine.

So that was it then.

My 2 cents: In general the atmosphere was very friendly and cordial. The way people were coming out of interviews made it look things being very easy. I am sure everyone has had their fears and experience but my feeling is if you are "clean" you have absolutely no reason to worry unless you face an disgruntled IO.

Good luck to all who are waiting. I will check the web site regularly and will also update when I get our oath letters.
:)

Congratulations rkchi!!! ..thanks for sharing your story

Had my interview today too

I had my interview today too and the experience was pretty similar. I was called about 15 min after the original appointment time, and the interview didn’t take more than 10 min.

I had one concern – the interview letter stated that I need to bring wife’s naturalization papers, which she had lost, so I only brought her US passport. The IO didn’t even ask for any of that. I only got asked questions related to confirmation of my identity. That’s all.

I don’t remember all of the Civic questions, but they were almost same as the above mentioned. One additional was “How many supreme justices are there”.

A general advise, if your appointment is early, you should be able to get a metered parking instead of the $10 one on the south block of the immigration building.

Congratulations!!

Can I ask if any of you got the Green Card through employment or other means?

Thanks very much

Sun

Congratulations rkchi and npnjan02,

Could you please mention whether they asked or verified any other documents (like: marriage certi, birth cert, tax returns etc...)

My green card is based on employment, Me and my wife has interview schduled on 11/20 at Charlotte NC, so wondering regarding the documents to take.

Thanks,
SRK

Well My IO asked if I paid taxes all the years. I said yes. At that point she just browsed the copies I had attached to my application for N - 400. Actually she literally just look at the Taxes papers for less than 10 seconds thats it .Thats was it she did not ask any more about Taxes.

Neither she asked me about any marriage certificate or birth certificate. Its hard to say what they will ask. But one thing is for sure that they go through the N-400 form that you submitted in real detail.

Good Luck.

Hello everyone,

I am nowhere close to you guys. Just got my check cashed last month, and I am still waiting for further response from USCIS. I do have my case # but that does not help as it has not been updated yet on the USCIS website. Anyone here from same time frame and Chicago?

rkchi:

Thanks for responding. Going through your detailed interview post again, I am assuming they did not question you at all on your employment history in N-400, like if you worked for your sponsering employer after GC. Right?

Thanks again,

Sun07

Hi Sun07,

You are right the IO did not ask me about my previous job and who sponsored me.

All the IO asked what is the name of the company now. Since I am self employed now I just gave my company name.

Did your employment history on the N-400 include the sponsoring employer? And if not, did you apply at least 5 and a half years after the green card approval?

Hi Jackolantern,

Yes my employment history did include the sponsoring employee. I applied exactly 5 years and 6 days after green card approval.

rkchi:

So you did work with your sponsoring employer after GC and was evident from your employment history on N-400? How long did you work with the sponsor?

Thanks,

Sun07

I left the company in 7 months after receiving my Green Card. I started my own business. The IO only asked me the name of my present company - I had listed myself as self employed.