interview done today.. is my case approved or what? tampa,FL

kikyo

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

I had my citizenship interview today.. As always they made me guilty with no reason,, you know how they are..the officer greeted me was female. she went over application with me.make sure everything is correct and consistent with paper. I had so much worries for several reasons.

first, I had a child back in my country, but I have no obligation to pay child support. I don't have custody but no record, since the court in Japan discard the record of divorce paper which containing info regarding child support and custody after a year

second,I was in nursing school for 4 yrs and started working lastyear,, I didn't work when I was studying so only had 2006 tax return. I didn;t t know what they going accused me of during my school years.

Third, I was arrested for driving wrong side of the road on oneway street. I was charged with DUI, eventually reduced to reckless driving, driving school, my license never suspended,finished my probation early(I paid off the community service portion). I got a certified copy of record of the incident states that case closed.

Anyway, she gave me the recommendation of the approval, then she told me"It is very possible they might ask you the termination of probation letter" usually it takes 2 weeks for them to mail me either asking for a more evidence or oath ceremony letter. but I am very nervous, and cannot take it easy. and she said if they approve the case my oath ceremony will be November as in 2 months from now... I don't know.. it seems too long time to wait between interview and oath date.

so anyway, here is my question,,, what is the chance of getting citizenship without being asked bring the termination of probation letter?(I already gave them certified copy of the whole incident stating probation,DUI school,Court cost paid and case closed).

and what is the normal waiting period between the interview and the actual oath date
please help me .. any insight and advice. thank you.

N-400 mailed: 01/16/2007 (USPS Priority Mail)
N-400 Application Received: 02/01/2007
FP taken: 04/23/2007
Interview Letter: 07/13/2007
interview:09/13/2007(recommendation of approval from interviewing officer)
oath date:?

Oath Letter After Interview

It seems like you are all set, they might ask you for the Probation Termination Letter, but as far the results of your interview is concerned it seems like you are fine and should expect an Oath letter soon depending on your DO. Waiting time for oath letter can be somewhere around 2 Weeks upto 3 Months, i got my oath letter 2 months after the interview, even though my case was very straight.
Good Luck

so anyway, here is my question,,, what is the chance of getting citizenship without being asked bring the termination of probation letter?(I already gave them certified copy of the whole incident stating probation,DUI school,Court cost paid and case closed).

It's zero. In most cases people either gets the oath letter right at the end of interview, or at least the officer congratulates the applicant, i.e. says something like "you passed". If you were not told "you passed" that's not a good sign. Expect either an RFE letter or a denial letter (in which case you may appeal IMHO in 30 days).

Wow, you have a dui and don't pay any child support but still think that the IO was out to get you. What you have described is normal professional behavior and the gender of the officer is irrelevant.
Wait for the letter and in the meantime try to find how to get the probation letter. I think you may get the oath letter if they don't send an rfe. 2 months to oath time is common in some DOs.

I was arrested Sep,24 2005 for driving wrong side of the road..under the influence. alcohol level under the legal limit. my driver's license never suspended,finished probation Feb,2006

Wow, you have a dui and don't pay any child support but still think that the IO was out to get you. What you have described is normal professional behavior and the gender of the officer is irrelevant.
Wait for the letter and in the meantime try to find how to get the probation letter. I think you may get the oath letter if they don't send an rfe. 2 months to oath time is common in some DOs.

I don't have a DUI,,was charged of DUI, convicted of reckless driving.

I have reckless driving and my ex has custody by the japanese custom I am not even allowed to see my kid...there is no concept of child support. I was 19 yr old sophemore in univ. my ex husband was 36.:mad:
IO gave me N-652 pass the test and congratulation letter, but she told me her superviser possibly want termination of probation letter. I already gave them"certified copy of closing of the case."

It's zero. In most cases people either gets the oath letter right at the end of interview, or at least the officer congratulates the applicant, i.e. says something like "you passed". If you were not told "you passed" that's not a good sign. Expect either an RFE letter or a denial letter (in which case you may appeal IMHO in 30 days).

I assume you only read one paragraph?:D

I was arrested Sep,24 2005 for driving wrong side of the road..under the influence. alcohol level under the legal limit. my driver's license never suspended,finished probation Feb,2006

As I see it, the biggest problem is that your conviction occurred within the 5 year CIMT period. There are rather strange rules for how convictions are viewed under immigration law versus the way they are dealt with under state law. I don't claim to be an expert, however my understanding is that convictions reduced as a result of diversionary programs or plea-bargaining are still considered at the more serious level with regard to immigration law. Kinda weird, but very relevant to anything involving alcohol or drugs.

So anyway, USCIS may well send you an RFE for additional documentation related to the probation. (You are not allowed to naturalize while still on probabtion). Equally, they may just approve you, or perhaps not. Its impossible to tell, and really there isn't much you can do now except wait for the outcome.

Good luck, and please report back when you hear something. This kind of case is an important benchmark for others in a similar situation.

N14

I assume you only read one paragraph?:D

KIKYO

THEY ARE GONNA SEND U AND N14 TO SEND MORE DOCUMENTS LIKE UR PROBATION LETTER AND WITHIN 2 WEEKS SFTER THAT THEY WILL SEND U FOR OATH THATS WAT USUSALLY HAPPENS.

SEND UR LETTER WITH CERTFIED MAIL SO U WILL HAVE A PROOF THAT U SENT IT JUST I CASE THEY SAID THEY NEVER RECEIVED IT U WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO BACK U UP DONT DELAY SENDING UR LETTER AT ALL, U SHOULD BE FINE

Kikyo, you should start work on that probation letter but hopefully you won't have to use it. Worried gives good advice in case they ask you to mail the letter.

Worried07, using all caps is considered bad etiquette on forums. So unless your keyboard is stuck, don't use it except for emphasis.

Amerikanus,

I suggest you read the entire matter before submitting your response, Kikyo clearly wrote that the officer congratulated him and the N 652 was marked Congratulations.This kind of response can be very frustrating for some people.
As far as the child support is concerned that is governed by a different country in this case.
I dont think there is anything to worry about here, since all the relevant documents were provided.He has been recommended for the approval by the IO after the interview thats almost 99% success not Zero.
Thanks

As I see it, the biggest problem is that your conviction occurred within the 5 year CIMT period. There are rather strange rules for how convictions are viewed under immigration law versus the way they are dealt with under state law. I don't claim to be an expert, however my understanding is that convictions reduced as a result of diversionary programs or plea-bargaining are still considered at the more serious level with regard to immigration law. Kinda weird, but very relevant to anything involving alcohol or drugs.

So anyway, USCIS may well send you an RFE for additional documentation related to the probation. (You are not allowed to naturalize while still on probabtion). Equally, they may just approve you, or perhaps not. Its impossible to tell, and really there isn't much you can do now except wait for the outcome.

Good luck, and please report back when you hear something. This kind of case is an important benchmark for others in a similar situation.

I was under the impression IO was not concerned about my reckless driving record as long as I provide them with termination of probation letter. I gave them certified copy of closing of the case, though. I respect inspector's advice. inspector is very kind and considerate. I really do appreciate it . there is a chance I might need to send termination of probation letter, so I will send it as soon as they request Thank you:) so tomorrow I am going to the traffic court get that letter.

by the way, I am not a guy.I am a 32 yrs old woman, in my country man's status is higher than woman.Man has custody of the child usually 99%and woman are not allow to see them by custom.Child probably doesnot know there is mom somewhere else. sad but its true. this is one of the reason I immigrated to America. after the divorce 1997,everything changed. I was 21yrs old,my family, friends disowned me, even after University couldnt get a job because I am a divorcee,couldnot get a boyfriend because I am divorced.I had no choice but to leave my country and decided to start a new life from the beginning in America.

Thank you so much, everybody. I have been reading and learned alot frfrom this website through naturalization process. hope it's over soon. I will keep it updated. again, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the impression IO was not concerned about my reckless driving record as long as I provide them with termination of probation letter.

Maybe, but every case has to be reviewed by a senior adjudicator. Sometimes that results in a surprise or two, but most often if you are recommended for approval, thats just what'll happen.

My take is that there is around 30-40% chance of denial, because the "moral turpitude" event happened in the 5 year period. There is 80% or so chance of being asked to provide the probation termination letter. If you had posted your case question before the interview, most forum members would have strongly advised you to take this letter to the interview. Unfortunately most "silent" members don't post until they are only in deep trouble.

I think the fact that you had a women USCIS officer will work in you favor. She will be very sympathetic to your case and it is highly likely she is keen to approve it, but like a typical government employee wants to cover her back, by having her boss rubber stamp it. It is very likely they may ask you for the probation termination letter so be ready with it.

I commend you for starting a new life in this great country which is a beacon to all who are persecuted for religous beliefs, against minorities, women/men, sexual orientation etc. However, I was a bit surprised that even after having tragic events early in your life and a determination to start a new life, you have had a stumble, by driving while drunk, which regardless of the USCIS rules is plain stupid. Hopefully you will have learnt from this event.

For now, just get the letter and wait patiently. The whole immigration process teaches us to be patient. Good luck, and as boatbod said, please do report your outcome because others to follow can learn from it.

My take is that there is around 30-40% chance of denial, because the "moral turpitude" event happened in the 5 year period. There is 80% or so chance of being asked to provide the probation termination letter. If you had posted your case question before the interview, most forum members would have strongly advised you to take this letter to the interview. Unfortunately most "silent" members don't post until they are only in deep trouble.

I think the fact that you had a women USCIS officer will work in you favor. She will be very sympathetic to your case and it is highly likely she is keen to approve it, but like a typical government employee wants to cover her back, by having her boss rubber stamp it. It is very likely they may ask you for the probation termination letter so be ready with it.

I commend you for starting a new life in this great country which is a beacon to all who are persecuted for religous beliefs, against minorities, women/men, sexual orientation etc. However, I was a bit surprised that even after having tragic events early in your life and a determination to start a new life, you have had a stumble, by driving while drunk, which regardless of the USCIS rules is plain stupid. Hopefully you will have learnt from this event.

For now, just get the letter and wait patiently. The whole immigration process teaches us to be patient. Good luck, and as boatbod said, please do report your outcome because others to follow can learn from it.

look,, some of youguys are so judgemental,, you don't know in what circumstances I was driving wrong side of the road on oneway street I was not familiar with. I had lasik surgery so I have blurry night vision and am Lightweight I blew 0.035, I had one drink after a hard week of school and big test.I drink few times a year, very rarely.police officers are notorious in that area to arrest people to meet their quota I heard from other people after the incident. that's nothing to do with moral turpitude. It was vision problem.he was determined to arrest anyone at that time.

again, I got my recommendation of approval letter, so we will see, I am ready with termination of probation letter just incase if they ask me more.

but please be kind to each other you don't know the circumstances. some of youguys' words are ..... . you cannot judge somebody for one event, I never even been pulled over in my life except this one incident.hope my occupation as a nurse works for my benefit.

as I said, I will keep it updated. thank you all.

Hi Kikyo-
Sorry for your situation- it must be really hard not to be able to see your own child! On top of everything, you have to deal with this whole immigration nightmare. Don't take anyone's comments on your arrest personally- everyone makes mistakes and no one goes out to get arrested!!
Its a very positive sign that your N-652 says you passed and have been recommended for approval. If there was any doubt, the IO would not have given you anything in writing stating you have been recommended for approval. Good luck !!!

and what is the normal waiting period between the interview and the actual oath date
please help me .. any insight and advice. thank you.

The next oath date for Tampa is 9/20, according to the Convention Center website
They usually do one ceremony per month, but they have also skipped a month on occasion. As a result it's possible that the next oath date with available space could be November. The website doesn't have anything past the September date listed at this point, so it's hard to tell.
Anyway, given your schedule and the fact that you may have to provide more evidence, I do not believe that the timeline you were given is any indication of a problem.
Good luck to you!

I've also driven on the wrong side of the road as in India it's the other way around. Luckily it never led to any accidents.

All the best kik.