interview(decision cannot be made)

raosaab

Registered Users (C)
i had interview today.i passed history& english but IO tick on no decision can be made at this moment.
i had 6 trips to india but all trips were not more than 3 months.he said he wants to make sur that all trips r ok .
he will check my trips detail and mail me the decision.he took copies of my passport all pages.
he asked me how many times did my wife come with me to india.i said only 2 times.he said only two times.
plz reply that what decision they might make.
does they conform from their supervisor.
if in case they deny can i fight against it. thanks 4 ur reply in advance

i had 6 trips to india but all trips were not more than 3 months.he said he wants to make sur that all trips r ok .
he will check my trips detail and mail me the decision.he took copies of my passport all pages.
he asked me how many times did my wife come with me to india.i said only 2 times.he said only two times.
plz reply that what decision they might make.
does they conform from their supervisor.
if in case they deny can i fight against it. thanks 4 ur reply in advance

You can always fight it - and if this is the only question the IO had - there is not much to worry about. You have 30 days from denial to appeal - if it comes to that.

Decision can not be made - does not mean denial - he actually might want to verify the dates ... it is possible that there is a discrepancy between the dates you reported and the dates he has in his file - ... if it is a day here and there, it is not an issue, but a significant difference shows either omission on your part, or a mis-hap with their records - and he must verify it to his satisfaction.

As long as this is the only issue - and your dates on N400 are accurate - don't worry - it will take time (maybe 2 weeks, maybe 2 months), but it will get sorted out.

thanks for ur reply
at last immigration officer said that he will check all dates & then he will mail the decision.
all dates in n-400 r exact, not even one day is difference.
their r so many stamps in my passport,so he was confused.
he marked one thing in his result corner about dates only.
my physical presence is ok because in 3yrs rule u have to be physically present for atleast 18months.i was here for 22months.
my all trips were just max of 3 months.
none of my trips r back to back. i stayed for atleast 2 months after 1 st trip.
according to u people ,what u suggest me.
will i be approved.
how much time usually they take to check my trips dates.
thanks for ur reply

6 trips is not too many stamps - at max 18. Many people have a lot more.

But ... some more pertinent information. So your filing is based on 3 years of marriage - and your wife traveled with you only twice out of 6 times. That will indeed raise some issues.
Also, 22 months out of 36 is not a big percentage.
I suspect the IO was thinking about the bona-fide nature of marriage also.
#1. Did he question you more on the marriage?
#2. What was your residency / travel pattern before the marriage / GC?

thanks for ur reply
at last immigration officer said that he will check all dates & then he will mail the decision.
my physical presence is ok because in 3yrs rule u have to be physically present for atleast 18months.i was here for 22months.
will i be approved.
thanks for ur reply

you will get aproval letter or oath letter this week,

i was in the same situation, i took 13 trip almost 120 days, my officer wanted to verify my travel record, she told me she will mail me a decision,
3 days after the interview i got an oath letter

don not worry , you will be fine

thanks for ur reply
will i be approved.
thanks for ur reply

Raosaab,
Can you tell us more about these trips. e.g.
Trip1- x days
USA - y days
Trip 2 - z days
USA - ...
Trip 3 -
etc.

Also, are these all to India?

i was in the same situation, i took 13 trip almost 120 days, my officer wanted to verify my travel record, she told me she will mail me a decision,

I am more hopeful than not. Having said that, there is a big difference between 4 months out of US, and 14 months out of US, more so considering the period in question is only 36 months. The OP said that the only notation was about dates, so I would think this is just cross-tabulation the IO needs to do. However, there is a bit of difference between your case and the OP's.

thanks john
he said that he will check all dates r right and then mail me decision.he took copies of all pages of passport.he was checking all dates infront of me but there were more stamps so he was confused.i was in Armenia before America.so he wanted to make sure all the dates.

thanks GangaDin
my all trips r like this
trip1 02/27/2007 to 06/02/07 total 94 days india
trip 2 10/27/07 to 02/16/2008 111 days india
trip 3 05/31/08 to 07/16/08 45 days Armenia & INDIA
trip4 09/27/08 to 12/17/08 80 days india
trip5 03/09/09 to 06/01/09 83 days india
trip 6 09/25/09 to 11/11/09 46 days india
total 6 trips of 459 days
plz advice me
Raosaab,
Can you tell us more about these trips. e.g.
Trip1- x days
USA - y days
Trip 2 - z days
USA - ...
Trip 3 -
etc.

Also, are these all to India?

thanks GangaDin
my all trips r like this
trip1 02/27/2007 to 06/02/07 total 94 days india
trip 2 10/27/07 to 02/16/2008 111 days india
trip 3 05/31/08 to 07/16/08 45 days Armenia & INDIA
trip4 09/27/08 to 12/17/08 80 days india
trip5 03/09/09 to 06/01/09 83 days india
trip 6 09/25/09 to 11/11/09 46 days india
total 6 trips of 459 days
plz advice me

Hmm... its good to be prepared for the worst (RFE) but hope for the best(Approval)

Are you employed? In the US?
Do you see the IO's dilemma in the above trip schedule? It looks like you're splitting time between the US and India. So while you fit the letter of the law, the IO may need to get an experienced person's advice on what to do in such a case.
Based on the 'only 2 times' response from the IO for how many times your wife traveled with you to India, they may even have a question on the validity/stability of your marriage. (they do scrutinize marriage based cases more than the 5 yr ones)

It'll probably go through, but I wouldn't be surprised if you receive an RFE.

hi Gungadin
i gave him recently joint filed tax return copy.after that he didnot ask much about ijoint paper.
Hmm... its good to be prepared for the worst (RFE) but hope for the best(Approval)

Are you employed? In the US?
Do you see the IO's dilemma in the above trip schedule? It looks like you're splitting time between the US and India. So while you fit the letter of the law, the IO may need to get an experienced person's advice on what to do in such a case.
Based on the 'only 2 times' response from the IO for how many times your wife traveled with you to India, they may even have a question on the validity/stability of your marriage. (they do scrutinize marriage based cases more than the 5 yr ones)

It'll probably go through, but I wouldn't be surprised if you receive an RFE.

N-14 Request for more evidence

hi
recieved letter yesterday requesting 4 more documents.
failure to do so may result in denial of your application
reason: missing evidence
During your N-400 interview u stated the purpose of all your trips to india was to take care of your sick mother.provide medical evidence that your mother required your help to care of her.who took care of ur mother during your absences?
you also stated that your wife traveled to india with u two occasions.provide proof that ur wife travel with u.this proof includes copies of passport enteries from your wifes passport & copies of plane tickets.

i dont have any proof of my moms sickness over here.my parents r not educated so how will they send that documents.
i am planning to withdraw my case.
i have question that will that effect my 10yrs greencard.
my green card is based on marriage to us citizen & applied N-400 based on marriage.
if i apply after 5yr pr will it be same problem?
my wife wants divorce so can we file divorce papers?
please suggest me...................thanks

I suspected a lot of this in a previous thread... there is lot more background information there.

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...ecision-cannot-be-made)&p=2155150#post2155150

Prima facie, your case seems suspect. You have been living in US just over 55%, your wife has not traveled with you 4 out of 6 times, and now it seems your wife wants to divorce you.

Even if you withdraw your application, the fact that you were asked for additional evidence and chose to withdraw the application will remain in the file. It is low probability they will come after your green card, but it is possible if they suspect you indulged in marriage fraud with the intention of getting the green card.

Why can't you get the proof? A 1 week visit to India will let you visit doctors / hospitals which treated your mother, and get all the evidence you need. Same for your wife's travel - it should not be hard to get proof. Having come this far, why would you abandon it for just a couple of pieces of information?

i have question that will that effect my 10yrs greencard.
my green card is based on marriage to us citizen & applied N-400 based on marriage.
if i apply after 5yr pr will it be same problem?
If those long trips to India are within the past 5 years, you probably will have the same problem.
my wife wants divorce so can we file divorce papers?
Filing for divorce automatically disqualfies you from the marriage-based naturalization (which you are planning to withdraw anyway), but doesn't affect your eligibility under the regular 5-year rule.

I suspected a lot of this in a previous thread... there is lot more background information there.

http://forums.immigration.com/showt...ecision-cannot-be-made)&p=2155150#post2155150

Prima facie, your case seems suspect. You have been living in US just over 55%, your wife has not traveled with you 4 out of 6 times, and now it seems your wife wants to divorce you.

Even if you withdraw your application, the fact that you were asked for additional evidence and chose to withdraw the application will remain in the file. It is low probability they will come after your green card, but it is possible if they suspect you indulged in marriage fraud with the intention of getting the green card.

Why can't you get the proof? A 1 week visit to India will let you visit doctors / hospitals which treated your mother, and get all the evidence you need. Same for your wife's travel - it should not be hard to get proof. Having come this far, why would you abandon it for just a couple of pieces of information?

This may be more than just a couple of pieces of information.

I don't think providing medical records is going to help as USCIS isn't asking only for medical records (perhaps they know that it is not possible for them to tell what is real and what is fake - especially from other countries).
They're asking for 2 things:
1. Prove that your trips to India were necessary and that you not making the trips would have caused extreme hardship to your mother. USCIS has framed this question quite well as it will be tough to answer this to USCIS' satisfaction. I.e. if it was critical for you to be in India, then why weren't you there for all the time, and if you weren't needed there all the time, then perhaps your presence in India was not critical and you opted to stay in India instead of the US. Hence your links with the US are not strong. The next questions flow from the assumption above. If you were staying in India when you weren't really required there, perhaps your marriage is not stable/sustainable.
2. Prove that your wife actually went with you to India. (USCIS suspects that she didn't make the trips. They can't search her travel records as they don't have her permission to do so and they don't want to get a search warrant for this)

Raosaab, I'm looking at your travel dates here... and your application is approximately 3 yrs - 90 days from your first travel trip listed.
Were you married for long before you started splitting time between the US and India? If not, then you may also want to start collecting evidence to prove that the marriage was genuine to begin with.

There is a second twist to this case. You should also be able to articulate how you went from a stable/sustainable marriage at the time of the interview on Feb 12 to withdrawing an application due to a pending divorce 10 days later.

I would think that a conversation with a lawyer would be beneficial at this point to see if you can salvage anything. If you 'extended' the facts a bit in your N400 and/or with the IO (I'm hoping you didn't), let the Lawyer know so they can advise you best on your next course of action.

OTOH, if you can get copies of at least your wife's entry/exit stamps, proof of travel directly from the airline (for a small fee - used to be $15 per trip about 10 years ago) then provide them with the information they need regarding your mom's medical condition, who took care of her during your absence and why they couldn't take care of her all the time, send the info to the IO in addition to requesting withdrawal of your case.
The IO does not have to agree to let you withdraw your case, so if you don't give them the information they need now, they may summarily deny your case with an adverse notation on your A-File. They may ask you for the same information again when you apply next, so if you think its difficult to collect this information now, it'll be even more difficult years from now.

On second though, talk to a lawyer anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a second twist to this case. You should also be able to articulate how you went from a stable/sustainable marriage at the time of the interview on Feb 12 to withdrawing an application due to a pending divorce 10 days later.
If he withdraws the application, he doesn't have to explain that to USCIS.