• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Interview at US embassy in Paris - DV2011

sista_mai

Registered Users (C)
I know that it might help or make some people feel more secure about their interview so I decided to post my whole journey for the next DV winners from France (and other countries as well since it might me similar)

*I applied at the DV lottery 2011 on november 2009. I was in London, UK but I put my parent's address in France (Guadeloupe) to make sure the letter dont get lost in case I would win. It's quite easy to fill the form on the government website, http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/
the most difficult was the photograph, so I went to a photography shop to get a digital one.

* On July 2010, I went online to verify if I won or not (with no hope of winning)
and I saw this:
"Dear Selectee,

Based on the information and confirmation number provided, you should have received a letter by mail from the United States Department of State’s Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) notifying you that your Diversity Visa entry was selected in the DV-2011 lottery.

If you have not yet received your selectee letter, please do not contact KCC until after August 1, 2010. International mail delivery delays of one month or more are normal. KCC will not respond to questions they receive before August 1, 2010 regarding non-receipt of selectee letters. If you still have not received your selectee letter by August 1, 2010, however, you may contact KCC by email at kccdv@state.gov."

I called my parents and they told me that indeed, they had receive the letter since April 2010!! But they didn't think it was important. They scanned the letter and also send them by mail to y address in London.

*On the letter they are saying to go on
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4756.html
for the instructions, which I did. I filled all the required form and sent them back to the KCC center in the US. I sent them an email to make sure they received my documents 2 weeks later, They received all my forms by mid-july 2010.

*My case number (CN) was really low (9***) and by august I knew from the VISA BULLETIN that my number would be current in October 2010 (means that I would have my interview during the month of october)

*I sent an email to the KCC around mid september to find out if my interview was already programmed, But the KCC told me that since I had sent my forms a bit late, they were still processing. I had to wait a couple of weeks more.

*Finally after 5-6 emails sent to the KCC between august and November 2010, my forms were finally processed and they gave me my interview date at the US embassy in Paris (20th January 2011)

*All my documents were already prepared : Passport valid for at least 6 months – Birth certificate – High school diploma – Bank statements/Employment contract – 819$US to be paid the day of the interview – One photograh 5x5 – Extrait de casier judiciaire (police record) from France, Canada, and the UK (I have been living in those 3 countries for more than a year each)

*On the 19th of January 2011, I went to Dr Slattery in Paris for my medical examination. (170 euro) – I had a check up, Blood test, radio, and 2 vaccination shots. I went there at 10am and at 11h30 am it was all done. I just had to go back to the clinic at 5pm to collect the sealed envelope with all the results (the Dr Slattery told me that everything was fine)

*I had my interview on the 20th of January 2011 at 1pm.
- I didn’t know the area so I went there earlier, at the metro Concorde. The US Embassy, is easy to find since there is so many police cars around (gendarmerie francaise) There is two entrance, you have to take the consulate entrance (the police at the door and around will ask you why are you here and will direct you.
Before you can get at the door, you will see 2 police officers (or security guards) asking you for your ID and your appointment letter. Then they will look for your name on a list and they let you go in. After that you go at the door and then, they ask you if you have any electronic devices with you. In my case I didn’t have any ( I didn t know they could keep it for you) So if you have your phone with you they will keep it and give you a number on a badge to be able to collect it afterwards.
You go through the metal detection machine (you can keep your coat on), then you take back your bag and go through the next door.

- It’s a large room, there’s some soda machines, and even a chronopost envelope machine (in case you forgot yours), they also have a photomaton.
First thing to do when you get there… take your ticket for IMMIGRANT VISA (IV)
You will probably have a number starting with A***
Only 3 people were there for a IV, and I was the only one for the DV visa.
The waiting room was already with people for non immigrant visa (their numbers are starting with B***) In the room( a square room) you had the chairs in the middle to sit down and wait, and all around many windows ( around 20 different windows) with people inside (there is a glass separating from the waiting room and all the conversation will be made through a microphone)
I sat down, and after maybe 10 min they called my number on the screen at the window 11. The guy there was really nice. He asked me my appointment letter and my passport. Then he gave me a piece of paper to sign, then gave me an other paper and told me to go the window 20 to pay the fees of 819$US – I went to the window 20 and paid the fees by credit card.
- Then I went back on my sit and waited for my number to be called. 15 min later, the guy called me back at window 11. He asked me for all the documents: 1) birth certificate original – 2) Police records originals – 3) Proof of education (I gave him my university diploma and my high school diploma) – 4) Proof of personal financial net worth (I gave my bank statements + last 3 paychecks + employment contract + Tax sheet from last year)----On my bank statements I had around 5 000 euros---- 5) Medical examination results (sealed envelope) – 6) 1 Photo 5x5 - 7) Chronopost envelope – domestic France 2kg (You should write down your address on it before you get there)
After giving all the documents, the guy at the window asked me to put my fingers on the machine to take my fingerprints (of all the fingers)
He told me to go back on my seat and wait again for my number, that I will have an interview with the consul.

I went back on my seat, and waited for 15-20 min. Then they called my number at window 10. The consul (a lady) was really nice. She said “hi” and asked me right away to put my finger on the machine to make sure it was me. She made me sign the forms I previously sent to the KCC back in July 2010, then she started:

The consul: “Why do you want to go live in the US?”
Me: “Because my boyfriend lives there”
The consul: “Is he American?”
Me: Yes
The consul: (she was smiling) “Oh so this is why you applied for the lottery… I see”
Me: Yes, It was a very good surprise
The consul: “What did you studied in Canada?”
Me: --- I told her what I was studying..
The consul: “everything look fine, but the only problem is your high school diploma (Baccalaureat francais) that look a bit different from the other one, is it a copy?
Me: Yes it’s a copy but I have the original transcript with it. I think my parents kept the original diploma but Im not sure.
The consul: “ok it’s not a problem, if you can send us the original diploma, or a letter from the Education department (une attestation du Ministere de l education nationale), we will send you back your passport with your visa packet by chronopost. “

She gave me a special letter with all the details, and how to send back the diploma. She kept all my other original documents.

As you can see the actual “interview” just took 2 minutes.
I left the embassy a bit stressed, and I called my parents right away. They finally found my original diploma and sent it by mail. I sent back the diploma on the 24th January 2011. On the 26th January 2011 I sent an email to the US embassy in Paris to ask if they received it, they reply the next day to confirm reception, they also told me that my file was complete now, and that I should receive the packet at the en of this week (after being reviewed by the consul)

I hope this will help some of you who are looking for answers. I remember how it was difficult for me to find relevant information to understand the process. Also, there is not too many winners from France, which make it more difficult for us.
Personally I found help and support on 3 different forums and groups:

http://forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Lottery-Visas-DV
http://www.franceservice.com/forum/index.php
http://www.jerome-usa.com/forum/green-card-carte-verte-loterie-dv-program-c2.php

But the most important was to contact directly the US embassy in Paris when I had questions that nobody else could answer. (Best option)
You can send them an email at : ParisConIV@state.gov

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that it might help or make some people feel more secure about their interview so I decided to post my whole journey for the next DV winners from France (and other countries as well since it might me similar)

*I applied at the DV lottery 2011 on november 2009. I was in London, UK but I put my parent's address in France (Guadeloupe) to make sure the letter dont get lost in case I would win. It's quite easy to fill the form on the government website, http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/
the most difficult was the photograph, so I went to a photography shop to get a digital one.

* On July 2010, I went online to verify if I won or not (with no hope of winning)
and I saw this:
"Dear Selectee,

Based on the information and confirmation number provided, you should have received a letter by mail from the United States Department of State’s Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) notifying you that your Diversity Visa entry was selected in the DV-2011 lottery.

If you have not yet received your selectee letter, please do not contact KCC until after August 1, 2010. International mail delivery delays of one month or more are normal. KCC will not respond to questions they receive before August 1, 2010 regarding non-receipt of selectee letters. If you still have not received your selectee letter by August 1, 2010, however, you may contact KCC by email at kccdv@state.gov."

I called my parents and they told me that indeed, they had receive the letter since April 2010!! But they didn't think it was important. They scanned the letter and also send them by mail to y address in London.

*On the letter they are saying to go on
http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4756.html
for the instructions, which I did. I filled all the required form and sent them back to the KCC center in the US. I sent them an email to make sure they received my documents 2 weeks later, They received all my forms by mid-july 2010.

*My case number (CN) was really low (9***) and by august I knew from the VISA BULLETIN that my number would be current in October 2010 (means that I would have my interview during the month of october)

*I sent an email to the KCC around mid september to find out if my interview was already programmed, But the KCC told me that since I had sent my forms a bit late, they were still processing. I had to wait a couple of weeks more.

*Finally after 5-6 emails sent to the KCC between august and November 2010, my forms were finally processed and they gave me my interview date at the US embassy in Paris (20th January 2011)

*All my documents were already prepared : Passport valid for at least 6 months – Birth certificate – High school diploma – Bank statements/Employment contract – 819$US to be paid the day of the interview – One photograh 5x5 – Extrait de casier judiciaire (police record) from France, Canada, and the UK (I have been living in those 3 countries for more than a year each)

*On the 19th of January 2011, I went to Dr Slattery in Paris for my medical examination. (170 euro) – I had a check up, Blood test, radio, and 2 vaccination shots. I went there at 10am and at 11h30 am it was all done. I just had to go back to the clinic at 5pm to collect the sealed envelope with all the results (the Dr Slattery told me that everything was fine)

*I had my interview on the 20th of January 2011 at 1pm.
- I didn’t know the area so I went there earlier, at the metro Concorde. The US Embassy, is easy to find since there is so many police cars around (gendarmerie francaise) There is two entrance, you have to take the consulate entrance (the police at the door and around will ask you why are you here and will direct you.
Before you can get at the door, you will see 2 police officers (or security guards) asking you for your ID and your appointment letter. Then they will look for your name on a list and they let you go in. After that you go at the door and then, they ask you if you have any electronic devices with you. In my case I didn’t have any ( I didn t know they could keep it for you) So if you have your phone with you they will keep it and give you a number on a badge to be able to collect it afterwards.
You go through the metal detection machine (you can keep your coat on), then you take back your bag and go through the next door.

- It’s a large room, there’s some soda machines, and even a chronopost envelope machine (in case you forgot yours), they also have a photomaton.
First thing to do when you get there… take your ticket for IMMIGRANT VISA (IV)
You will probably have a number starting with A***
Only 3 people were there for a IV, and I was the only one for the DV visa.
The waiting room was already with people for non immigrant visa (their numbers are starting with B***) In the room( a square room) you had the chairs in the middle to sit down and wait, and all around many windows ( around 20 different windows) with people inside (there is a glass separating from the waiting room and all the conversation will be made through a microphone)
I sat down, and after maybe 10 min they called my number on the screen at the window 11. The guy there was really nice. He asked me my appointment letter and my passport. Then he gave me a piece of paper to sign, then gave me an other paper and told me to go the window 20 to pay the fees of 819$US – I went to the window 20 and paid the fees by credit card.
- Then I went back on my sit and waited for my number to be called. 15 min later, the guy called me back at window 11. He asked me for all the documents: 1) birth certificate original – 2) Police records originals – 3) Proof of education (I gave him my university diploma and my high school diploma) – 4) Proof of personal financial net worth (I gave my bank statements + last 3 paychecks + employment contract + Tax sheet from last year)----On my bank statements I had around 5 000 euros---- 5) Medical examination results (sealed envelope) – 6) 1 Photo 5x5 - 7) Chronopost envelope – domestic France 2kg (You should write down your address on it before you get there)
After giving all the documents, the guy at the window asked me to put my fingers on the machine to take my fingerprints (of all the fingers)
He told me to go back on my seat and wait again for my number, that I will have an interview with the consul.

I went back on my seat, and waited for 15-20 min. Then they called my number at window 10. The consul (a lady) was really nice. She said “hi” and asked me right away to put my finger on the machine to make sure it was me. She made me sign the forms I previously sent to the KCC back in July 2010, then she started:

The consul: “Why do you want to go live in the US?”
Me: “Because my boyfriend lives there”
The consul: “Is he American?”
Me: Yes
The consul: (she was smiling) “Oh so this is why you applied for the lottery… I see”
Me: Yes, It was a very good surprise
The consul: “What did you studied in Canada?”
Me: --- I told her what I was studying..
The consul: “everything look fine, but the only problem is your high school diploma (Baccalaureat francais) that look a bit different from the other one, is it a copy?
Me: Yes it’s a copy but I have the original transcript with it. I think my parents kept the original diploma but Im not sure.
The consul: “ok it’s not a problem, if you can send us the original diploma, or a letter from the Education department (une attestation du Ministere de l education nationale), we will send you back your passport with your visa packet by chronopost. “

She gave me a special letter with all the details, and how to send back the diploma. She kept all my other original documents.

As you can see the actual “interview” just took 2 minutes.
I left the embassy a bit stressed, and I called my parents right away. They finally found my original diploma and sent it by mail. I sent back the diploma on the 24th January 2011. On the 26th January 2011 I sent an email to the US embassy in Paris to ask if they received it, they reply the next day to confirm reception, they also told me that my file was complete now, and that I should receive the packet at the en of this week (after being reviewed by the consul)

I hope this will help some of you who are looking for answers. I remember how it was difficult for me to find relevant information to understand the process. Also, there is not too many winners from France, which make it more difficult for us.
Personally I found help and support on 3 different forums and groups:

http://forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Lottery-Visas-DV
http://www.franceservice.com/forum/index.php
http://www.jerome-usa.com/forum/green-card-carte-verte-loterie-dv-program-c2.php

But the most important was to contact directly the US embassy in Paris when I had questions that nobody else could answer. (Best option)
You can send them an email at : ParisConIV@state.gov

thanks for sharing your experiences. When are you planning to travel to usa?

Hi Sista_mai,
That is great. It went well for you. I wish u all the best in the US.

Thanks Labora2! Hopefully we will all meet one day! We should stay in contact... we never know :)
I hope the best for you and your family in the US, never forget how far we are coming from and who brought us there. If God gave us that opportunity, it is for us to make great things back there in His name!!

Hello sista_mai and congratulations for this successful interview my interview is a couple of weeks ahead and i would like to ask about the financial prove you said you had only 5000€ on your bank account is that right? did you boyfriend fill any support form for you and is it enough to have this amount only to support your self in there? i will appreciate your reply and congrats once again, bonne chance ;)

Hello sista_mai and congratulations for this successful interview my interview is a couple of weeks ahead and i would like to ask about the financial prove you said you had only 5000€ on your bank account is that right? did you boyfriend fill any support form for you and is it enough to have this amount only to support your self in there? i will appreciate your reply and congrats once again, bonne chance ;)

Hello!
No I just had the things I mentioned for the fund proof, my boyfriend didn't fill any form at all, I even didnt mention his name, (I just told the consul I had a boyfriend in the US lol)

I guess that 5000 euro was ok because they didn t ask me nothing about the money or how I would support myself...

Oh I forgot to tell you guys!! I received the visa packet today with my passport. Im already back to London :)

Oh I forgot to tell you guys!! I received the visa packet today with my passport. Im already back to London :)

congratulation sista you are good to go to Obamaland. Are we oblige to wait for the visa packet at home or do we have the choice of coming back to embassy and pickit up in person ?

In Paris, apparently they have to send it at your address in France... I asked if I could come and pick it up, but they didn't reply and just send it right away by post.
If your interview is in another country it might be diferent tho

Hello there,

so glad to discover that French are also on this forum !

I am french but currently live in Canada. I will try the DV lottery in october. So my question is, they are sending you the papers at the address you have given during the process right ? They do not require an address in France I assume.

When you fill the application online, you can put an address in any country, it doesn't matter anymore because now they dont send you a letter, you just find out if you won online so...
if you have any questions you can email me sista_maii@hotmail.com

Hi everyone, a quick message to tell you that Im doing good, I received my green card yesterday in the mail - it took exactly 19 days to get through...
I still didn't receive my SSN (which is more important than the green card -->driver's license, rent an apartment, open a bank account, job...)
Oh and something else, I received a letter from Homeland security/USCIS a week after I landed in the US with my alien number, with this you can register on the USCIS web site to know exactly when they will print out your green card. (you can receive the alerts by text on your phone or by email)

Also, if you will be calling overseas a lot, T-Mobile got a super good deal on longdistance calls, for 10$ a month you have unlimited international calls on landlines and unlimited international text (sms) on mobile.

Since I been here, I realised that within 2 years, everything got more expensive (gas and food... and rent in some areas) so try to save the maximum of money you can,
I was in Atlanta in 2008, and for sure now in 2011 everything almost doubled up... except your paychecks. So be prepared!

Other than that Im really happy to be back :) I pray that everyone of you succeed at your interview -

mairehina@hotmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone, a quick message to tell you that Im doing good, I received my green card yesterday in the mail - it took exactly 19 days to get through...
I still didn't receive my SSN (which is more important than the green card -->driver's license, rent an apartment, open a bank account, job...)
Oh and something else, I received a letter from Homeland security/USCIS a week after I landed in the US with my alien number, with this you can register on the USCIS web site to know exactly when they will print out your green card. (you can receive the alerts by text on your phone or by email)

Also, if you will be calling overseas a lot, T-Mobile got a super good deal on longdistance calls, for 10$ a month you have unlimited international calls on landlines and unlimited international text (sms) on mobile.

Since I been here, I realised that within 2 years, everything got more expensive (gas and food... and rent in some areas) so try to save the maximum of money you can,
I was in Atlanta in 2008, and for sure now in 2011 everything almost doubled up... except your paychecks. So be prepared!

Other than that Im really happy to be back :) I pray that everyone of you succeed at your interview -

mairehina@hotmail.com

Hi sita mai,

I am so glad everything is going well with you in Obamaland, we hope to join you soon but still waiting for our number to be current,maybe late in september according to our high case number.

I have an issue with my wife pregnancy:
My wife is the principal applicant for DV2011 and she is pregnant, the gynecologist told us yesterday she will be due on september 11th. I recall KCC mentioned in their rules that if there is any changes in the DV`s selectee status , they have to be informed.
Is pregnancy considered as a new status ? do we have to inform KCC ?

Our case number is high (88XXX) and according to other forumers experiences, we may be scheduled for US embassy interview at Montreal somewhere in september: so what to do if baby is born before or after the interview ?

hello sista_mai,
it's about a year now when you went to the U.S, i am pretty sure that you had a lot of experience dealing with everything.
Can you share them with us? it would be very nice of you if you explain how things is going on with you right now.
Thanks,