Internship J-visa

tomtom200

I have arranged an internship in the US that will last for 3 months.

I am assuming that i need to apply for a J1 visa as i am a university student in the UK.

The institute, where the internship is, can't sponsor me. How will this affect the process of applying for the J1 visa. Is it still possible to get a J1 visa when the place you want to work can't sponsor you?

cheers

I have arranged an internship in the US that will last for 3 months.

I am assuming that i need to apply for a J1 visa as i am a university student in the UK.

The institute, where the internship is, can't sponsor me. How will this affect the process of applying for the J1 visa. Is it still possible to get a J1 visa when the place you want to work can't sponsor you?

cheers

The answer is No. A place should sponsor your J visa, it is not self petition.

is it by any chance a Work and Travel program? if yes, an organization like YMCA may issue a form DS-2019 for you so you can get J-1 visa.

I'm not sure if what i am doing is work and travel and what the implications of that are.

The internship is something i have arranges on my own, thus i am involved with no third party organisations that are involved with organising work and travel programmes. Having looked at various web sites i can apply for a j1 visa via organisations such as bunac to obtain a DS-2019 form that i need to complete the J1 application (I believe i fulfil all the other requirements for a j1 visa). However organisations like bunac charge large sums of money which i am keen to avoid. Thus i am wondering
a) if i need a DS-2019
if so
b)is it possible to get one from an organisation such as bunac
c)or some cheaper option
if not
d)can i go ahead an apply for a j-visa as i fulfil all the other requirements

cheers

a) if i need a DS-2019

yes

b)is it possible to get one from an organisation such as bunac

yes

c)or some cheaper option

yes

Do read up on J-1 Work and Travel and J-1 trainee programs on www.travel.state.gov