intention to denial (due to identity theft) - who to compare signatures?

JackDan

Registered Users (C)
Hello.

We just got the letter of intention to denial based on my wife being married to somebody else 10 years ago, in a different state, and never having divorce. It is an identity theft issue.

The documents USCIS sent contain a marriage certificate with my wife's fake signature, correct name, date of birth, and address.

the USCIS is giving us 30 days to prove it is not my wife's signature. We dont have problem with that, but we need to know who could pertain such a task for us.

it has to be somebody ceritified to make an official opinion regarding two signatures (my wife's real and the fake one from obtained document), then notarize that document, so we can provide it to the USCIS.

We got only 30 days to do so. Please advice.

Thank you.

May be it's a dumb advise, but can you go to the district court, explain your situation and ask to recommend the appropriate people who does such expertise? I'd expect the courts (especially the criminal ones) should provide such info.

Wow! What an unpleasant situation! :(

You have to file a police report in your local jurisdiction , irrespective of where the Id theft happened and also request a copy of the police report for documentation purposes.

Hello.

We just got the letter of intention to denial based on my wife being married to somebody else 10 years ago, in a different state, and never having divorce. It is an identity theft issue.

The documents USCIS sent contain a marriage certificate with my wife's fake signature, correct name, date of birth, and address.

the USCIS is giving us 30 days to prove it is not my wife's signature. We dont have problem with that, but we need to know who could pertain such a task for us.

it has to be somebody ceritified to make an official opinion regarding two signatures (my wife's real and the fake one from obtained document), then notarize that document, so we can provide it to the USCIS.

Thank you.

It’s very unfortunate. I guess you already been through lot of problems. I guess only lawyer can help you in this situation. I guess even for any lawyer it might be the first case like this!

Seems like in your case USCIS has taken an approach 'guilty unless proven innocent'.

How did they find this marriage certificate first place? As far as I know there is no central database for birth, marriage, death certificates in any town, city, county or state.

The only thought comes to my mind if the person on that fake certificate has been sponsoring somebody for immigration and USCIS happened to have a copy of that certificate. Otherwise finding it seems impossible.

Has your wife been married before? Has she ever lived in that state/town? Did you put in your application forms anything that might have triggered that?

Hello.

Thank you.

Seems like in your case USCIS has taken an approach 'guilty unless proven innocent'.

the letter we received was very agressive; interviewer told my wife during second interview to write a letter (on the spot) that it was not her.
But anyways, they based their 10-pages letters over and over again on statement that she IS married to somebody else.

the letter was very rude and unprofessional with some quotes to cases not related to immigration, like Arnstein vs Porter 154 F.2d 464 (claim of a copyright infrigment???)

How did they find this marriage certificate first place? As far as I know there is no central database for birth, marriage, death certificates in any town, city, county or state.

The only thought comes to my mind if the person on that fake certificate has been sponsoring somebody for immigration and USCIS happened to have a copy of that certificate. Otherwise finding it seems impossible.

yes, they search their database and come up with matching name and DOB of my wife for another alien (it took them 4 years almost to do so, if you check some of other my threads)

Has your wife been married before? Has she ever lived in that state/town? Did you put in your application forms anything that might have triggered that?

no she never been married and trust me, knowing my wife and her being a little racists against people in "hats", she would never get in any relationship with a guy that, in my wife's opinion "they flight those planes in the towers", so its definately not her.

this took place 12 years ago, on the other side of the USA. No, my wife never lived there.

btw: any ideas why interviewer asked me how much I make and when I told her (working in IT) she made me feel uncomfortable with it, but then it turned out she never asked my wife to cross-check those answers.

If I would have known at the spot, I would have tried to talk with the office district director b/c for me that was like stepping over her boundaries.

Hello.

Thank you.

So do you have that previous marriage certificate? How about finding that person in that marriage certificate who married to her? And from there you can go. I guess you might able to solve this problem and able to bring out one scam also!

This is just my crude guess. I don’t know it will work or it is possible!

Do you think it's possible that the woman on that certificate existsm in real life and it was just a coincidence of name and DOB? How about place of birth?

Was a fake person's SSN mentioned anywhere?

As for additional evidence, ask your wife to look for anything that would prove that at the time the other marriage took place, your wife was some place else - bills, receipts etc.

btw: any ideas why interviewer asked me how much I make and when I told her (working in IT) she made me feel uncomfortable with it, but then it turned out she never asked my wife to cross-check those answers.

If I would have known at the spot, I would have tried to talk with the office district director b/c for me that was like stepping over her boundaries.

So do you have that previous marriage certificate? How about finding that person in that marriage certificate who married to her? And from there you can go. I guess you might able to solve this problem and able to bring out one scam also!

no, my wife never been married to anyone else. simple metro pcs 411 lookup gave us location for that guy, but we dont think calling is a good idea. what is there to inquiry? who why and when he married someone 12yrs ago? besides, that could somehow connect my wife with him, even simple phone call. trust me, USCIS come up with so much crap in their letter that every single words count. example, in 2005 when we filled out initial forms, my wife stated she never used any other names, yet they somehow found one of the bills she used with her maiden name instead of mine and now the denial letter claims she said she never did, but she did, you feel me?
so I dont want to get to the situation we have to *lie* if me or my wife ever contacted that guy.

it is a scam, but hard one to prove.

Do you think it's possible that the woman on that certificate existsm in real life and it was just a coincidence of name and DOB? How about place of birth?

Was a fake person's SSN mentioned anywhere?

As for additional evidence, ask your wife to look for anything that would prove that at the time the other marriage took place, your wife was some place else - bills, receipts etc.

everything matches, names last name DOB, address. in that state you need a driving license to get married.

we wont be able to come up with any bills 12 years ago, but we trying to get some lease, etc.

no, the ssn is not required to married

no, my wife never been married to anyone else. simple metro pcs 411 lookup gave us location for that guy, but we dont think calling is a good idea. what is there to inquiry? who why and when he married someone 12yrs ago? besides, that could somehow connect my wife with him, even simple phone call. trust me, USCIS come up with so much crap in their letter that every single words count. example, in 2005 when we filled out initial forms, my wife stated she never used any other names, yet they somehow found one of the bills she used with her maiden name instead of mine and now the denial letter claims she said she never did, but she did, you feel me?
so I dont want to get to the situation we have to *lie* if me or my wife ever contacted that guy.

it is a scam, but hard one to prove.

I really understand it is a very difficult situation for you guys. I hope best for you.

Yes I know that your wife is never married before. But I thought by indentifying other person you might be able to prove actually to whom did he married? But I don’t know what extent it will help you.

It may be difficult to prove either way. Even in 12 years any ones signature can significantly change. So how to prove that issue?

will find a handwritten signature expert in my city and thats all we can do.
it wasnt my wife. if uscis dont believe us, hopefuly the judge will.
feels terrible to be stuck in this sick system. identithy theft sucks!

I suggest that if you don't now have an attorney, you get one. Any document examiner will likely need to be or to have been formally recognized as an expert by the courts. An attorney would be the best person to know a well regarded expert. In addition, he can assist you with other suggestions about other ways to proceed based on established case law in similar situations. IMO, your case is no longer a DIY as it appears is now the case by your questions.