INS nightmare continues with Social Security cards

No Title

Yes, our passports are older than 1 year but the kids\' passports are less than a year. However, according to the SSN lady, our info (H1B) was not updated to GC. So, it is probably the reason for secondary checking stated there:
"When there is a discrepancy between information received through the automated phone-in system and information provided by the applicant."
She told us that she thinks that the INS did not update the system.

I also have my doubts about the first computer entry done by the stamping INS officer at the airport. I could see him typing my number and I think that he entered the last number 8 instead of 7. However, I did not dare to say anything to him and was quite tired and not 100% sure. Maybe this has screwed us!

No Title

Marta, JoeF
I changed status from F1 to H1 earlier but never notified SSA folks about the status change. Now I applied for SS Card after getting I-551 on my passport. Would I have any trouble getting SS Card? I applied on 01/15 but no card in the mail. Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

No Title

Here is our story.

We are from NY metropolitan area & entered through JFK ... so probably, it applies to your case too. We (self & wife) applied for soc. sec. cards around Sept 1st week (before 9/11 though) based on our I-551 stamps in the passport (DOE: April 21st). Took about 2-3 months to get the cards. At the time of our application, the lady took copies of our passports and told us she could not find anything in the system, so she has to send it for secondary verification and that it will take about 2 months to get the cards.

Since I wanted my wife\'s soc. sec. card quickly, I thought I would go reapply at another office ... this time the guy who took our info. kindly showed us the computer printout he got ... it basically said, that there is no information about these A #s, so send it for secondary verification. I dont think the person taking your data has any discretion in this matter.

I dont want to speculate on how & why this happened to us or to you. Apparently there are many others who show their passport stamps & get their cards within a couple of weeks.

No Title

I applied for my SSN 4 days after I-551 stamping (01/11) in NJ while my spouse did it 7 days after I-551 stamping (01/11)in NY. None of us were told that A# could not be found in the system (or equivalant) at that time. We did not see the actual computer print-out of the information, but we were given the letter indicating that the card should be received in 2 weeks. What shd I expect now?

No Title

I think you do not have to worry. It is not you who needs to notify SSA folks. They share a computer system with the INS. However, it seems to me that the system from the INS side is not working too well.

Since the SSN person you dealt with when asking for your new card did not mention anything to you, you should not worry. You can usually expect your card between 10-14 days. Good luck!

kr9,

Thank you for sharing your story. It makes me really think that the INS system is far from perfect. What a surprise, right!

I have another question, what if I get the plastic cards before getting SSN? Do you think that it might give more credibility in a faster issuance of our SSNs (especially for my dependents)???

No Title

Yes, this might help. Since our story is still unfolding (my wife wants to change from maiden name to married name - remember that in NY, a new born automatically is registered under wife\'s last name), here are our latest experiences. We approached the SS office to change her card to reflect the new name (this time with actual GCs); it took 10 days to replace the SS card.

Got our plastics and welcome notices, so will try our luck with the SSN office again!

Hope that they will realize that it is ridiculous to wait 2 months to verify our status when it was confirmed twice in the meantime.

Got lucky in the SSN office!

The SSN cards will be coming within two weeks!

I went to the SSN office and they were surprised that we have received our Plastic GCs so quickly. They did the INS search again and they found our A#s. So they will issue the cards, end of story!