INS nightmare continues with Social Security cards

Marta

Registered Users (C)
My family and I got the green cards last Saturday. Today (3 days after our arrival back) we went to the Social Security office in a NY suburb to change my card "Valid for work only with INS authorization" and apply for new SSNs for the rest of my family.

We gave them our Czech passports with fresh I-551 stamps and copies of our immigration visas from Packet IV. In addition, we gave them our Canadian passports for identity verification. However, the lady there could not find our names in the computer system from INS. She told us that the INS probably has not entered us into the system yet and that she must mail our papers to the INS for verification. Then, they will issue us with our SSN cards. That is some kind of a new rule after Sep 11th. This could take about two months!!! On top of that she took my original SSN card. So now I do not have any SSN card!

Has anybody encountered anything similar?????

The SSA office is known to verify the A# without the leading zero "0".

Most (All??) of the A# (9 digit number) begin with a 0. This had happened in my friend\'s case.

Please check if the A# on your passport has 9 digits. If not tell the SSA personnel to add Leading Zeros when they verify the validity of the A#.

Just an opinion.

No Title

Thanks for your suggestion. I do not know what she entered but in my passport there is only an 8 digit number. So, I will go back and ask.
Thanks!

CP Hopeful,

I am back from the SS office and the lady told me that she entered 0 before my A number.

She repeated again that because of Sep 11th they cannot issue SSN card to anybody who does not show in the system and are required to send all the paperwork for a verification to the INS.

I would advise all people after their GC wait for a week before going to the Social Security Office for their SS cards. Otherwise, they might experience this unplesant hassle and delay.

i got new SSN with the same old stamp , even though the officer had noted my A number.

i applied for new ssn card to remove work permit with INS authorisation on my card.
the officer at SSN office accepted my request, had my A number. in 2 weeks a get a new SSN card with the same stamp on it!!! no change!!
rediculous!!

No Title

I think we better brace ourself for more a sort of INS experience this time with the SS office. Does this ever end?

No Title

I went on the same day as my passport stamping (few days after approval notice arrived). the officer entered my new info into the SS computer system, took away my old SS card, and told me to wait couple of weeks for my new card. it did arrive in 5 days and everything was OK. this was post Sep11. but, i filled out the SS form and mentioned that I had a change of immigration status in it. (SF bay area)

No Title

I asked her right away to get something in writing and she told us - I cannot give you anything in writing not even a proof that you were in today and surrendered your old SSN.

She was very nice to us, however, she told us that she has to follow the rules, which are much tougher since Sep 11th (this she has mentioned a few times). According to her, you have to be in their system, which is somehow connected with the INS system to be processed for a SSN right away (10-14 days).

No Title

I did mentioned to her that I am changing an immigration status as well, however, could not be found in their computer system.

we applied for SSN last week, status change for me and new card for my wife.

they gave me a printout receipt imm after accepting the application and yest when we called we got the SSN for my wife and waiting to receive the card.they provided receipt and told us to comeback if we didnt receive within 2 weeks.

Bit e your lip ,bide your time and you will be fine

Hi Marta,

Haing gone thru the slow process of GC processing ,has made me aware of a few things

The process may be slow at time ,however if you have done nothing wrong continue your focus on work and let the INS do what it does best. You will get your SSN in due course. I know it is easier said than done ,but given the sad situation of 9/11 one should see this way that if INS wants to make doubly sure let them do so. It is for the good of everybody you ,me and law-abiding people. You are in the right so merely wait and in due course you would be a relieved owner of a "no-authorisation reqd" SSN.

----

No Title

Just got SSN card in mail, no employment limitations on it. In CA they ask you to review a hardcopy of the information they enter in the computer. There is a status field in there that needs to say \'Alien allowed to work\' or something similar.

Good luck!

No Title

We were asked to review a hardcopy of the information and there was the field with "Alien allowed to work", however, we did not get anything to keep.

No Title

This sounds a bit far fetched to me! Anyway, I know for sure that we never had any kind of even trivial problems in order to be processed as a "suspect case". Moreover, we hardly fit the recent terrorist profile by being blond Christians.

I think when we came Saturday night to JFK immigration, somebody who was suppose to enter us into their computer system did not do so. Since it was the famously reliable INS, I think it should not really surprise me!

Hi Hemmy,

This is not much about me but about the family members eager to work! It makes a big difference if the wait is two weeks or two months in their case!

JoeF, I found the webpage regarding I-551 verification

Go to:

http://www.sdsd.hr.state.or.us/resources/workergd/d.3__sys.htm

In every case, except for ineligible noncitizens, the document must be verified by INS. There are two different ways to verify INS documents:

By using an automated phone-in system

By using the INS Form G-845.

It is clear that she is using the INS form G-845 for us.