Inputs needed - N400

Dr.

Registered Users (C)
Hello:
My wife/I applied for N400 in March 2011.
My wife has been scheduled in line for interview where as my status show scheduled for fingerprint.
Is it normal?
Any idea on when interview will be scheduled.
Thanks....
Pls let me know...

How old are you and your wife? Once you reach 75, there are no fingerprints taken.

Did you two file in the same envelope so that the cases are being processed together?

Do you have a "common name" which can slow the background check process?

Hello BigJoe5:
My wife/I had fingerprints done on the same day.
We both send application in same envelope.
I dont hv common name.
what could be other reasons...
Did any one hv this type of scenario....

I am in the same boat.
Application sent in same envelope at the end of March. We had FP done same day. My name has 5 words, so no common at all.
I called the FBI and they told me that my FP were processed and send them back same day.
My wife has been scheduled for interview and my status shows scheduled for FP (Initial Review)
I've decided to be patient, at least wait one more week or two before to call them or get an INFOPASS.

-Leono

Thanks Leaon77.
Can anybody tell me what is the number to call FBI to check status on fingerprint and what option should I press to talk to 2nd level IO.
Any help you can provide is greatly apprecaited....
Any one who is on same boat like me...
Thank you....

Thanks Leaon77.
Can anybody tell me what is the number to call FBI to check status on fingerprint and what option should I press to talk to 2nd level IO.
Any help you can provide is greatly apprecaited....
Any one who is on same boat like me...
Thank you....

The FBI phone numbers to ask about the status of the Fingerprint Check are 304-625-5590 and 304-625-2406. Note, however, that they will only be able to tell you the Fingerprint Check results, but not the FBI Name Check results.

There is no option to push to get the second level IO when you call USCIS toll-free line. You first have to talk to the first level IO and try to convince him/her to transfer you to a second level IO (which they usually refuse to do but you might get lucky).

A general comment about your situation: the fact that you and your wife submitted your N-400 applications together, in the same envelope, does not in any way imply that you should expect them to be processed together or even just at roughly the same speed.
N-400 applications are always processed separately, even if submitted together.

There could be many different reasons why your wife has already been scheduled for an interview.

The most likely explanation is that your FBI Name Check has not been completed yet or that it just took a bit longer than hers.
If you don't know what the FBI Name Check is, you can read about it at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI_Name_Check

There could be other possible explanations for different speeds of yours and your wife's cases (e.g. it may be that it is taking longer to assemble all the pieces of your A-file together - that may very well happen, particularly if you have been in this country for a very long time).

If you submitted your application in March 2011, it is really way too early for you to start panicking and worrying.

Thank you for your inputs.
However, my priority date is 03/25.
My fp date is 04/22.
Pls let me know how long can i wait before i proceed calling FBI/USCIS.
Thank you

Can anyone help me in getting inputs....

Thank you

You can call the FBI and/or USCIS any time you want - there is nothing to prevent you from doing that and there aren't any rules against that either. It is a good idea to call the FBI now to see if your fingerprint check was completed successfully - because if it was not and if your fingerprints were rejected for some reason (which does happen on occasion, when the quality of the fingerprint taken was not good for some reason), the USCIS would need to schedule you for another FP appointment.

However, as I said earlier, the FBI will not be able to tell you anything about the status of your FBI Name Check, as they can only release this info to USCIS itself.

In terms of calling USCIS, there is not much point in doing that earlier than 90 days after filing N-400 (except if the FBI tells you that your fingerprints were rejected due to poor quality - in that case I'd call USCIS now as well). In fact, it is fairly unlikely that you will get anything out of calling USCIS until 5-6 months since filing N-400 passed. USCIS generally refuses to even do a service inquiry until the case is already outside the current processing times, which for N-400 seems to be around 5-6 months now at most field offices.
You can check the official processing times at your field office at
https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processingTimesDisplay.do;jsessionid=bacaYz_KQYBaLe_cz96-s

Once your case is outside the current processing times, you can also make an e-request online, at
https://egov.uscis.gov/e-Request/Intro.do?locale=en_US