Information on Landing

aaa06

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I have applied for canadian PR in March 2005 and I sent my IA docs on May 2006.
I'm waiting for the canadian consulate to request for Passport.
From reading the forums,I found that I should do the landing before my medicals expires or within 1 year from the passport stamping.

1)My H1 visa expires in Nov 2006 and I have applied for H1 extension.
In case if I receive my passport request and need to land before Nov 2006,should I fix an appointment with US consulate in canada for H1 stamping(for my extended H1 visa)? Or can I enter back into US after landing in canada within 30 days?

2)In case say I land after NOv 2006,and have my H1 extension,Is it safe to get H1 stamping in Canada?

3)Where is it safe to get H1 stamping(India/Canada)? I'm planning to take a vacation to India in may 2007.

4) When landing in canada,I'm planning to return back to US say within a week.So if the immigartion officier asks me about when I'm planning to move to Canada what should I say?
My friend recently landed and when the visa officier asked him when he would move to Canada , my friend said after a year.So the officer told him to apply for PR when he moves to Cananda after a year and guess he gave my friend some paper with which he can enter Cananda after a year.

5)So is it possible to get PR,by just saying that I'm planning to move to canada next month and return back to US.If the officer asks for a reason for going back to US,which is the safe answer?

6)Which is safe?Can I have both Canandian PR and US H1 at the same time?If so why did the officier tell my friend to get the PR later?

7)When should I apply for SIN?

8)I'm planning to fly to canada,so should I take my I-94 before getting the passport stamped in the airport...just to be safe?

Thanks.

aaa06 said:
Hi,
I have applied for canadian PR in March 2005 and I sent my IA docs on May 2006.
I'm waiting for the canadian consulate to request for Passport.
From reading the forums,I found that I should do the landing before my medicals expires or within 1 year from the passport stamping.

In case if I receive my passport request and need to land before Nov 2006,should I fix an appointment with US consulate in canada for H1 stamping(for my extended H1 visa)? Or can I enter back into US after landing in canada within 30 days?

I would personally prefer getting it stamped there. Thats what I did. I am not sure if automatic revalidation still holds good.

2)In case say I land after NOv 2006,and have my H1 extension,Is it safe to get H1 stamping in Canada?

It depends on the immigration officer, I didnt have issues but it depends on who you get

3)Where is it safe to get H1 stamping(India/Canada)? I'm planning to take a vacation to India in may 2007.

If you can get an appointment in India by all means do it there. No one can predict which one is safer it depends on the officer, your documents etc

4) When landing in canada,I'm planning to return back to US say within a week.So if the immigartion officier asks me about when I'm planning to move to Canada what should I say?
My friend recently landed and when the visa officier asked him when he would move to Canada , my friend said after a year.So the officer told him to apply for PR when he moves to Cananda after a year and guess he gave my friend some paper with which he can enter Cananda after a year.

Well you have to be honest. You can say whatever you want but once again it depends on who you get. In my case and several others there have been no issues but in some cases they have asked them to apply only when serious about moving

5)So is it possible to get PR,by just saying that I'm planning to move to canada next month and return back to US.If the officer asks for a reason for going back to US,which is the safe answer?

You have things to wrap up etc, what more can you say? You can think of all responses that are safe but you cant predict how they will respond

6)Which is safe?Can I have both Canandian PR and US H1 at the same time?If so why did the officier tell my friend to get the PR later?

Because they are trying to eliminate people who are not serious about moving. Yes you can have both,

When you land

8)I'm planning to fly to canada,so should I take my I-94 before getting the passport stamped in the airport...just to be safe?

You always take your I-94 when you travel abroad

Thanks.

-- AVR still is in effect. You will be in *real* trouble if you are refused visa for any reason - you cannot come back in that case

-- What do you mean by "safe"? You can apply and if you have all the docs, you will get H1 visa stamp from any consulate.

-- See my response above. But in India, I have heard that aerly appt. is next to impossible.

-- It is advisable to tell the earlier date to avoid delays in landing..

-- Tell the truth...(your job, resignation, packing, etc) they cannot deny you entry if you say you will be moving later - may be in a month or two.

6)Which is safe?Can I have both Canandian PR and US H1 at the same time?

-- Yes

-- If you do not plan to stay in Canada, why apply for the SIN?

-- Yes, you definitely should do it to avoid the further (I-94 related) questions.

The only thing to add to this post is having your SIN card helps you to start working if you decide to go back to canada. If you can apply for it why not? It takes a month or so for it to arrive and this way if you decide to go to canada atleast you are not waiting for it before you have to join your company. Having a SIN card does not entail filing taxes so there is nothing to lose. It helps you to keep options open in my opinion

The only thing to add to this post is having your SIN card helps you to start working if you decide to go back to canada. If you can apply for it why not? It takes a month or so for it to arrive and this way if you decide to go to canada atleast you are not waiting for it before you have to join your company. Having a SIN card does not entail filing taxes so there is nothing to lose. It helps you to keep options open in my opinion

-- I agree with this...

Hi ,
Thank you both for ur responses.

Ok so the next step is passport request and then landing right?
So how long does it take for the passport to get stamped and sent back to me?

I did not understand the answer for the following question posted by Bigboy00:

My H1 visa expires in Nov 2006 and I have applied for H1 extension.

-- AVR still is in effect. You will be in *real* trouble if you are refused visa for any reason - you cannot come back in that case

If I get my H1 extension papers say next month(I'm doing a premium processing),then is it ok to Land in canada with that paper before Nov 2006(My current H1 is valid till Nov 2006).
But if I land after Nov 2006 then I'll be in my new H1 extension visa.So can I land in canada and return back to US based on 30-day rule without getting my H1 stamped from the US consulate in canada?

I'm panning to land in toronto by air.So what are all the procedures if I'm flying to toronto and not planning to take any goods with me?

As srini88 sugests applying for SIN is a good idea? What else should I know before landing? What else should I apply for when I land?

Another major doubt that I have is ,I dont know when I'll be moving to canada.So if I want my PR card what should I do? Why are they asking to apply for ir when a person moves to canada? How should I answer this question so that I get my PR right away?WHat exactly should I tell them?

I dont know anybody in canada...so what should I do for canada address? Wont they send the PR card to US address?

Will they ask for the I-94 explicitly...Normally I -94 will be taken in the airport ...Wont they ask for ir if I remove it and have it with me?

Thank you both in advance.

what he means is that you dont have to apply for a H1-visa stamping in Canada. You can return using AVR. However if you apply there and then rejected then you have to go back to your home country usually and cannot re enter US.

Your question about flying to Toronto for landing and all other landing questions is clearly explained in several threads in the landing and buffalo tracker forum. Please visit them and you will get answers for these questions.

Again there is no "safe" answer, there is no script book that gurantees you will get your PR card, be honest and truthful and explain your position thats all you can do,

No you cannot give a US address, you can give friends/relatives address in canada, there are some people on the forum who have posted that you can use their address. Contact them and see

I dont see why you have an issue giving your I-94. If your flying they will take it and you will get a new one when you re enter

Sorry to bother u...

"what he means is that you dont have to apply for a H1-visa stamping in Canada. You can return using AVR"

So what happens in AVR,if a person lands in canada and returns without the stamping.Will his H1 be valid?

aaa06 said:
Sorry to bother u...

"what he means is that you dont have to apply for a H1-visa stamping in Canada. You can return using AVR"

So what happens in AVR,if a person lands in canada and returns without the stamping.Will his H1 be valid?
If you search on Google you will see several posts on what AVR means

I dont see why you have an issue giving your I-94. If your flying they will take it and you will get a new one when you re enter

Retaining I-94 is V.IMP. If you want to use the AVR, you have to retain your I-94. If you give it up, you cannot use the AVR.

For a safe side , enter Canada through road. So there is not question of giving away your I-94. 30 day rule is still valid. You can enter USA if your visa is expired with valid I-797 and I-94.

msukid

For a safe side , enter Canada through road. So there is not question of giving away your I-94. 30 day rule is still valid. You can enter USA if your visa is expired with valid I-797 and I-94.

Wrong information/opinion! They can take out I-94 whenever you enter Canada, does not matter whether you enter using land/sea/air...Safest way, remove it from your passport. If it is asked, tell them you need it to re-enter the US. Very straight forward..

Ok I'll do so.Thanks for the info.But when ther ask for passport request,should I send them the passport with the I-94 in it.How long does it take for them to do the stamping in the passport?

Thanks.

Ok I'll do so.Thanks for the info.But when ther ask for passport request,should I send them the passport with the I-94 in it.How long does it take for them to do the stamping in the passport?

-- Since I-94 is a very important document, what I would do is, remove it and attach a copy of it to the passport so that they will know your valid legal status in the US. At the same time, you will not get worried for the safety of your original I-94..

I am not experienced in "stamping timeframe" - I will let someone else answer the "time required for it" question..

stamping time - 3 to 6 weeks

stamping time - 3 to 6 weeks.

Thansk a lot to bigboy00 for all that very good info.

Good luck!!!

Hi,
If I land by air,then does all the landing formalities and applying for PR and SIN take place in the airport itself?

Thanks.