India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SDQmer said:
Since it is bankers check, ur bank knows how,when and by whom it is cashed. Since your money is taken, I would presume that there is some activity going on your case, and if everything goes well it might be matter of weeks
We had a check cashed two months ago. "Yet to register ..." :eek:

Also ... my father has still not got his OCI despite putting his application in 2004, 18 months ago. This is the record in this forum. Yes we are furious. But the quality of processing varies widely.

Last edited by a moderator:
mpotturi said:
This may not be a big deal but I just requested for a separate forum for OCI related issues and it is in the process of execution. Henceforth all the OCI related issues can be discussed in that forum.
So what is this forum for?

Oh no!!!!!

I've saved this forum, after finding it with difficulty, and I feel comfortable as is. Just my opinion. But, if it's changed, please provide a link so that it's easy to be redirected.

Thanks,

:eek: :eek: :eek:

.If the moderators do wish to create a whole new subsection for OCI then i hope they can transfer this and the other thread to that subsection

SDQmer,
The applications are processed in the order of apps received not the reference no.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Mangal,

in your experience and knowledge, how long after they cash the Bank Certified check, etc.... will the status change on the MHA reference # status enquiry????

Thanks,

already dual citizen and applying for OCI

This is a message for experts like Mangal, PIO1 etc. I am a true dual national, I hold Australian and New Zealand passports. Now which passport should I get my OCI visa sticker on?? also which passport no/citizen details do I give? does it matter? is there aybody else who is in a similar situation like me?
thanks

atlantathrasher said:
This is a message for experts like Mangal, PIO1 etc. I am a true dual national, I hold Australian and New Zealand passports. Now which passport should I get my OCI visa sticker on?? also which passport no/citizen details do I give? does it matter? is there aybody else who is in a similar situation like me?
thanks

Give the passport details of the country of which you are currently resident - that's where you should apply for. I am assumming you are resident of Aus or NZ and not of some third country right now.

atlantathrasher said:
thanks

Your country of residence.....If that doesnt apply (say you are in the US on a green card) the passport you are most likely to use to go to India.
Basically go through the laws of Aus & NZ in detail....would having the OCI harm you in any way in that country as a denial of benefits etc.If yes pick the other if no as a last resort just pick one at random !
On the application just mention the citizenship and passport no of the passport you finally choose to get the OCI visa stamped in.I dont think they want all citizenships mentioned and having two sets would just confuse them.If you do however not wish to take any risk in your citizenship column just write in "Also a citizen of ____" but do not mention the passport no.

ASGK said:
in your experience and knowledge, how long after they cash the Bank Certified check, etc.... will the status change on the MHA reference # status enquiry????

Thanks,

If there is no problem as far as the documents go 7 days.Some consulates do cash the check regardless of the documentation and some cash the check only if the documents are in order.
So either which way the consulate should contact you within 7 days re the documents or your status on the MHA page should upgrade.

mangal969 said:
.If the moderators do wish to create a whole new subsection for OCI then i hope they can transfer this and the other thread to that subsection
SDQmer,
The applications are processed in the order of apps received not the reference no.
Thanks for letting me know. I know this is 101 principle everywhere. My receipt date is also around Feb 22 nd (just 5 days after I got receipt number)

lcauser said:
I would recommend that you email CGISF. I had mailed my daughter's application on March 02 06. I emailed CGISF requesting for status and I received an response from them stating that the photos of the applicant was overexposed and they wanted a new set of pics. Also, my bank did confirm that the Cashier's check has been encashed by CGISF during the past week.

The online status still says "File number yet to register.... "

Our status changed today to "In process" from "File number yet to resgister" status. I know that you send few emails to CGISF. Keep on sending emails until you get resposse. You can call them, but I think you may not be able to talk to anybody from OCI team. They only respond if your application is pending more than 12 weeks.

Dilip Jaju

dilipjaju said:
Our status changed today to "In process" from "File number yet to resgister" status. I know that you send few emails to CGISF. Keep on sending emails until you get resposse. You can call them, but I think you may not be able to talk to anybody from OCI team. They only respond if your application is pending more than 12 weeks.
Dilip Jaju

Thanks for letting us know. In my case it is still saying "File number yet to resgister". I sent several emails almost everyday for the past week, and not yet firm response from OCI team.

CGI HOuston for PIO

Can anyone tell me how to contact CGI Houston, I have applied for my son’s PIO card and it has been more than 4 weeks, and we need to urgently travel to India. I tried to contact them via the phone but both the numbers are ALWAYS engaged. What should I do, how to get the PIO card soon.

Thanks

What's up with OCI cell?

I applied 3 months back and no reply yet, they stopped picking up the phone and no response email. When I check on home affairs website and enter reference number, it says granted in March but have not received anything as yet , what's going on?

I just heard of this "case" of a friend and his brother who applied at CGINY together.Even though they had seperate application forms they sent a common Money Order to save on Bank Charges.The they got a call from CGINY saying that this will not do.So they requested him to tear the draft up and sent them 2 new MO's.They got their respective letters requesting them to send their passports for U visa stamping.They sent their passports and then 3 weeks ago they got a call from CGINY stating that the MO they gave bounced ! On furthur inquiry they found out that CGINY in all it's wisdom sent the common MO for encashing and left the two individual dafts in the file ! When they pointed this out to the person who called,she said she'll present the MO's for clearing and as soon as the MO's clear send their passports and U visas back.But in 3 weeks CGINY hasnt presented the checks and these people are in limbo with CGINY holding their passports.
CGINY has also disabled their published OCI cell Phone and fax nos,they never replied to e-mails and there is no reply to faxes sent to the central fax no.

I too am yet to get my passport-OCI stamping takes 3 weeks.

In short CGINY is a huge mess.I wouldnt advise anyone to apply through CGINY for the time being unless they get their act together. Take a PIO card and hold on or apply in India and/or just wait !

More CGINY OCI woes

I had applied as a family group for myself, spouse and kids.
Online Status Check says "Granted" for the others but not for me.
Anybody else in the same boat?

Merely two days after switching to "File not yet registered" to "under process", our status now has switched to "granted" on mha website. We applied to cgisf on March 14th. Now let see what happens next.

Dad22.......

dad22 said:
Merely two days after switching to "File not yet registered" to "under process", our status now has switched to "granted" on mha website. We applied to cgisf on March 14th. Now let see what happens next.

Did you have a PIO card before applying for OCI????? Does anyone here know if having a PIO card before applying for OCI accelerates the OCI card approval???

Thanks,