India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Congrats to everyone who has progressed in their status - it has been a long journey, and good to see things are moving!

cgi NY

even i got granted status and i have sent an email but no response yet. Mangal, did you send an email inquiry and what address did you send it to? since krishnan who got granted status in Feb 14 has still no contact info from the consulate, i wonder how long it will take for our case.

mangal969 said:
Thanks but given CGINY's track i think it is going to take much more than 2 weeks ! :eek: :( :mad:
Mangal

11 days card ,s travel time from delhi to n.y.
but ny will take its own time.

genesis1 said:
even i got granted status and i have sent an email but no response yet. Mangal, did you send an email inquiry and what address did you send it to? since krishnan who got granted status in Feb 14 has still no contact info from the consulate, i wonder how long it will take for our case.

I have e-mailed the MEA directly (usnri@mea.nic.in) since all NY says is they have to receive them from India.I sent the e-mail only yesterday and am waiting for a response.However rajudm did e-mail the MEA and did get a reply saying that CGINY will have to re-scan and send the photos.Whether that was for all OCI apps or only his we do not know.Hence i have e-mailed them as well.Maybe Mr Krishnan has already received his OCI card and we dont know about it.He hasnt posted in a very long time.Anyway NY has cleared their backlog of files so i guess the re-scanning must be on even as we speak.

mangal969 said:
I have e-mailed the MEA directly (usnri@mea.nic.in) since all NY says is they have to receive them from India.I sent the e-mail only yesterday and am waiting for a response.However rajudm did e-mail the MEA and did get a reply saying that CGINY will have to re-scan and send the photos.Whether that was for all OCI apps or only his we do not know.Hence i have e-mailed them as well.Maybe Mr Krishnan has already received his OCI card and we dont know about it.He hasnt posted in a very long time.Anyway NY has cleared their backlog of files so i guess the re-scanning must be on even as we speak.

Guess what, just received a response from the MEA. The Under Secy herself has written informing that the mu Uvisa sticker & OCI card have been sent on 03/29/06 and that I should contact NY for collection. I wonder how long it takes to reach NY & for them to inform us. I guess Mangal, yous must be in the same mailbag. Need to start bugging the NY consulate.

Application and Mailing Fee

A family of three applying for OCI.

* Should the application and mailing fee be sent as separate cashier's checks for each applicant (3 + 3 = 6 checks)

* Or can the application and mailing fee be combined and sent as separate cashier's check for each applicant (3 checks)

* Or just send one "BIG FAT" cashier's check for the total amount.

Thanks.

madabushi said:

* Should the application and mailing fee be sent as separate cashier's checks for each applicant (3 + 3 = 6 checks)

* Or can the application and mailing fee be combined and sent as separate cashier's check for each applicant (3 checks)

* Or just send one "BIG FAT" cashier's check for the total amount.

Thanks.

Go for option 2.

If the bank charges for cashiers checks (mine didnt) then go for option 3.But the downside is that if one person's application is found wanting in documents or photos or anything else all 3 applications will be held up.

genesis1 said:
Guess what, just received a response from the MEA. The Under Secy herself has written informing that the mu Uvisa sticker & OCI card have been sent on 03/29/06 and that I should contact NY for collection. I wonder how long it takes to reach NY & for them to inform us. I guess Mangal, yous must be in the same mailbag. Need to start bugging the NY consulate.

Great ! What was your file no range ? Mine is in the 1200's.I guess you should contact CGINY by 5th April if they dont contact you.Even tell them about this e-mail.

madabushi said:

Thanks.
To make it simple mail one Postal money for total amount(including postal charges). It is most economical.

Question on OCI application

Hi,

How long it takes to process an OCI application?

How can I check the status of it on the WEB?

Thanks,
-astro

mangal969 said:
Great ! What was your file no range ? Mine is in the 1200's.I guess you should contact CGINY by 5th April if they dont contact you.Even tell them about this e-mail.
mine was 1300's. you should have got a response from MEA by now. maybe we should call the Consulate office and use the name & designation of the MEA officer (indian govt only works with names thrown around)

How long does it take for the consulate to cash the check. I am not sure if my applications were received by the consulate.

Need OCI/PIO Info

All,

I am new to this thread, would like to travel to India soon. Recently became a USC. Can anybody tell me how long & how difficult will it be to obtain a OCI from application mailing till OCI card. Also, while OCI is in process, if I need to travel to India in emergencies can I get a PIO or a visitor visa. I will be applying through Huston.

My son is born here, can I apply for his OCI along with mine and does it change the processing & obtaining timelines.

go_cp said:
How long does it take for the consulate to cash the check. I am not sure if my applications were received by the consulate.

From what i know the consulate cashes the check only after they view your documents and make sure everything is in order.

i.e They receive the documents-Make sure all the required documents are present (and notarised if it is the US)-Make sure the photographs are present-Cash the check-Your form goes 'in process'.This on an average takes 2 weeks from date of receipt by the consulate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellow_immig said:
All,

I am new to this thread, would like to travel to India soon. Recently became a USC. Can anybody tell me how long & how difficult will it be to obtain a OCI from application mailing till OCI card. Also, while OCI is in process, if I need to travel to India in emergencies can I get a PIO or a visitor visa. I will be applying through Huston.

My son is born here, can I apply for his OCI along with mine and does it change the processing & obtaining timelines.

It is not too difficult :D
Houston seems to have a bit of a backlog.So maybe two months from application to card seems reasonable right now-Maybe more.While the OCI is in process you can take a visitor visa (Why would you want a PIO ??).
As far as your son goes apply for his PIO card and then convert it to an OCI after a couple of years (if he is below 18).PIO cards will be issued within 2 weeks and it will save you $$$ (but this works only for minors).But for your information there is no difference in the timeline for family or individual applications-unless you send a combined check and there is a problem with one of the applications in which case all the family members are put on hold.

astro2006 said:
Hi,

How long it takes to process an OCI application?

How can I check the status of it on the WEB?

Thanks,
-astro

1.Depends on your loacation.Consider a timeline of between 1 to 3 months (More for Houston & NY)

2.on the MHA website under online status inquiry (Look for a link to "Dual Citizenship" on the left hand side).

question on OCI application

Thank you mangal969 for such prompt reply.

I applied for OCI at San Francisco location. Do you know how long(~approx time) it takes to process the application here(SF)?

Will consulate not e-mail me on any status information? How will I know that?

Thanks,
-astro2006

To find out status of OCI application(submitted at SF location)

Hi,

As i try to enquire the status of my application, MHA is asking me 2 things:

1) File Number
2) Reference number

File number I believe is the number i received when completed the first part of the application on line some thing like USAS...

But what is reference number?

When I put the file number it says File not found. Any idea what's happening? Please share.

Thanks,
-astro2006

astro2006 said:
Hi,

As i try to enquire the status of my application, MHA is asking me 2 things:

1) File Number
2) Reference number

File number I believe is the number i received when completed the first part of the application on line some thing like USAS...

But what is reference number?

When I put the file number it says File not found. Any idea what's happening? Please share.

Thanks,
-astro2006

The consulate will e-mail you on 2 occasions-
1.When your file no is ready
2.When your OCI card has been received-for passport stamping.
There is no other e-mail contact and if you mail them there is a low probability they will reply.

The number you have from the form (USAS) is your reference no.File no will be issued to you in due course.There are some older posts that cover this in detail.