India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Indian4 said:
Congrats mangal pandey. Well you will have to go to the consulate again if they come out with dual citizenship :D

I for one wont be going for that as well ! ! !
OCI is all i need and i am happy with it.

You dont know how many times i have considered withdrawing my application for OCI and wait for them to get their act together.I shudder to even think of going through it again.

I called Mr Sharma. He found the file for me and replied me with my file number. So now I can track the application online.

He is very good and helpful person. I have been told our application will be processesed in next week or two.

File numbers are in the format - INDH001xxx06 and 'in process' numbers have reached number INDH00157906 when I checked.

The granted status is upto INDH00123x06 with the date 06/03/2006

The reference number I have does not seem to reflect anywhere. The new number is the one to be used.

inindia said:
I called Mr Sharma. He found the file for me and replied me with my file number. So now I can track the application online.

He is very good and helpful person. I have been told our application will be processesed in next week or two.

File numbers are in the format - INDH001xxx06 and 'in process' numbers have reached number INDH00157906 when I checked.

The granted status is upto INDH00123x06 with the date 06/03/2006

The reference number I have does not seem to reflect anywhere. The new number is the one to be used.

Where and when did you apply ??

Place of Issue is not there in US passports

mangal969 said:
Place of issue would be there on the first page or in some cases the second page."Issued at" is a column in all US passports.In my passport it is to the right of the column showing issue date,below place of birth on the first page.In my previous passport it was on the second page left hand side.It is there.

Actually DilipJaju is correct. The spot in the passport you indicate now has "Authority" and below it is says "United States Department of State". No city is mentioned. I am planning to say just that - "US DOS".

Last edited by a moderator:
inindia said:
Mangal - I posted my details few days back and you replied to that as well. Anyways I applied at Mumbai FRRO in Feb 1st week

Sorry-I had forgotten.
Processing from India seems to be better than New York :)

OCI Card Errors

For all those who got OCI cards (specially if it is a 2004-05 application) and they contain errors - the bad news is that one has to apply again in the new format. This is based on a suggestion I got from MEA. I just did for 3 of my 4 OCI cards - so I am back in the queue again.
:mad:

akkcausa said:
For all those who got OCI cards (specially if it is a 2004-05 application) and they contain errors - the bad news is that one has to apply again in the new format. This is based on a suggestion I got from MEA. I just did for 3 of my 4 OCI cards - so I am back in the queue again.
:mad:

I'm sure unless the error is 'critical' you can use the U visa and OCI card to travel to India.So it may not be that bad......

sv2707 said:
Actually DilipJaju is correct. The spot in the passport you indicate now has "Authority" and below it is says "United States Department of State". No city is mentioned. I am planning to say just that - "US DOS".
Say US Dept of State and in brackets mention the city where you got it from.Some of our babus may not recognise US Dept of State as a place of Issue and cause you unnecessary grief.

fitness99 said:
Not true. Your PIO or OIC card is issued based on the name in your US passport. I would recommend including a copy of your name change certificate as reference with the application to show that you changed your name after naturalization (which will eliminate any questions that may arise).
Good to know. Has anyone got a PIO/OCI after a name change during naturalisation.

VS007 said:
Good to know. Has anyone got a PIO/OCI after a name change during naturalisation.

VS007 - The reason I know this is I cut my long middle name during the naturalization process, and I currently hold a PIO. I sent a copy of my name change certificate along with the PIO application, and explained that in a cover letter. :D

mangal969 said:
Say US Dept of State and in brackets mention the city where you got it from.Some of our babus may not recognise US Dept of State as a place of Issue and cause you unnecessary grief.

Good Advice!
I will have to assume it is Philadelphia.

Great news !
I contacted the embassy today and found out that my file is under process.This should be reflected in the MHA website in a couple of days.
Obviously i'll wait and see but i feel like i have already got my OCI card-Some progress finally !

mangal969 said:
Great news !
I contacted the embassy today and found out that my file is under process.This should be reflected in the MHA website in a couple of days.
Obviously i'll wait and see but i feel like i have already got my OCI card-Some progress finally !

So you did not get a response from CGI New York, but a response from the Indian Embassy? I got a similar response to my email that I sent to Houston a few days ago, but the MHA site still shows as "Not yet registered with the concerned mission".

16 months since I handed over the cash, I got THE email. Please come to the Embassy with your passport. It's been a long wait.

Good to hear others have had similar progress. I'll update the status. I'll try and collect on Wednesday and let you know how it goes. I was almost ready to leave work today, but I thought I can wait one more day...

fitness99 said:
So you did not get a response from CGI New York, but a response from the Indian Embassy? I got a similar response to my email that I sent to Houston a few days ago, but the MHA site still shows as "Not yet registered with the concerned mission".

I meant CGINY.

PIO1 said:
16 months since I handed over the cash, I got THE email. Please come to the Embassy with your passport. It's been a long wait.

Good to hear others have had similar progress. I'll update the status. I'll try and collect on Wednesday and let you know how it goes. I was almost ready to leave work today, but I thought I can wait one more day...

Congratulations !! ! !
So I guess your nick will change to PIO2 pretty soon :D

Glad your torture is over

mangal969 said:
Great news !

good on u mangal great news. Well, looks like im the odd one out of the lot. To start with i still dont have a file number. The HCi NZ treats my file nos as a top secret. Will wait till this wkend if i dont hear anything then ill have to call sharma. Asked HCI to cancel my OCI app so that i can apply for pio they said no go its under process and i can only cancel once i got my OCI with another cancellation form hahah good joke :D

Bush And Singh should use HCI nz as Nuclear Fuel for tarapore reactor.

PIO1 said:

Congrats PIO. The wait has paid off at last.

Cancel Indian PP before application

mangal969 said:
I meant CGINY.

Did you cancel Indian PP, before applying? I think I saw somewhere, maybe Chicago consulate which does acknowledge that those who did not cancel their Indian PP should bring it in when they come for their sticker???