India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
granted on March 7th

I had replied last week indicating the our case was granted on March 7th.

lcauser said:
Survey results

Consulate Date PIO Status
PIO1 DC,USA Nov-04 No Granted
inindia Mum,India Feb-06 Yes Yet to register
Indian4 Wel,NZ Jan-06 No Unknown
Mangal969 NY,USA Jan-06 No Unknown
fitness99 TX,USA Jan-06 No Yet to register
rajudm NY,USA Jan-06 No Granted
Rajax SF,USA Jan-06 No Under Process
qwert Tor,CAN Dec-05 No Issued-Feb
Krutika Chic,US Jan-06 No Issued-Mar
lcauser- CGISF - Mar-02 - No - Yet to register

I just added my info onto this list.

rajudm said:
I had replied last week indicating the our case was granted on March 7th.
Hi rajudm,
Looking at your signature, I get the impression that you just bacme permanent resident in April 05. Your post is giving me an impression that you are in the race for OCI/PIO. Things don't quite add up here. Am I missing something?? Just curious.

mpotturi said:
Hi rajudm,
Looking at your signature, I get the impression that you just bacme permanent resident in April 05. Your post is giving me an impression that you are in the race for OCI/PIO. Things don't quite add up here. Am I missing something?? Just curious.

He has posted in a previous response....he is not a Indian citizen as he is currently a citizen of another country, but a USPR. :D

fitness99 said:
He has posted in a previous response....he is not a Indian citizen as he is currently a citizen of another country, but a USPR. :D
Oh I see. Thank you fitness99. May be I missed his earlier response.

Applied for OCI on 28th Jan., 2006

fitness99 said:
Did anyone receive approvals or replies to emails/phone calls from Houston? If you applied in 2006 and have granted status or a U sticker, please share your info...

I sent them an email a couple of weeks ago, and no response!

--------------------------------
Application receipt: Jan third week (Houston)

We have applied on Jan. 28 and CGI Houston received documents on 30th Jan., 2006.

We got email from CGI Houston stating that we need to send copies of U.S. Passport on 10th Feb. 2006 (notarized) and we sent it on 11th Feb. by overnight and emailed them stating the same.

Since then no reply/correspondence from OCI Houston and when we enter the reference number in OCI online status, it just states that file number does not exist.

03N400APPLICANT
U.S.Citizen June/July 2005

03N400Applicant said:
We have applied on Jan. 28 and CGI Houston received documents on 30th Jan., 2006.

We got email from CGI Houston stating that we need to send copies of U.S. Passport on 10th Feb. 2006 (notarized) and we sent it on 11th Feb. by overnight and emailed them stating the same.

Since then no reply/correspondence from OCI Houston and when we enter the reference number in OCI online status, it just states that file number does not exist.

03N400APPLICANT
U.S.Citizen June/July 2005

I applied during the third week of January 2006. Until recently it used to say "file number does not exist", but now it has changed to "file number yet to register in the concerned mission". I recently emailed the CGI Houston, and received a response saying that the application is under process (although the MHA online status did not change). I wonder if there are a lot of applicants that applied with the Houston CGI...

Security Clearence with OCI

Is OCI exactly a dual citizenship or not? We do not get Indian passport and we cannot vote - therefore my guess is that it is not a full fledge dual citizenship. OCI is just a VISA stamp in the US passport. I know that you are NOT eligible for DOD clearence if you are a dual citizen. If someone applies for DOD clearence, can they still apply for OCI? Any thoughts?

fitness99 said:
I applied during the third week of January 2006. Until recently it used to say "file number does not exist", but now it has changed to "file number yet to register in the concerned mission". I recently emailed the CGI Houston, and received a response saying that the application is under process (although the MHA online status did not change). I wonder if there are a lot of applicants that applied with the Houston CGI...

The two things basically mean the same.The MHA has just changed the language.

Virginia said:
Is OCI exactly a dual citizenship or not? We do not get Indian passport and we cannot vote - therefore my guess is that it is not a full fledge dual citizenship. OCI is just a VISA stamp in the US passport. I know that you are NOT eligible for DOD clearence if you are a dual citizen. If someone applies for DOD clearence, can they still apply for OCI? Any thoughts?

Please refer to my previous posting a couple of pages behind.The US Dept of State does NOT at this time consider OCI to be a dual nationality.
A topic similar to this has already been discussed earlier.Please refer to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question about PIO Card ?

I am leaning towards getting a PIO Card instead of OCI . I have following questions:

1) Can PIO Card holder accept a private job ( not goverement job) in India.
How does the Taxes works ?

2) I beleive that a PIO Card hoder has to register with Foriegn Registration Office(FRO) in India if the stay in India exceed for more than 180 days. How does that works ? Once you register, can you stay indefinitley ( till validity of PIO card) or does FRRO gives some kind of extension (for a limited period) ?

3) If I take a private job in India and extend my stay ( by registering with FRO) for more than 180 days, do you see any issues in this situatin ( tax, immigration etc...) ?

Regards :)

Virginia said:

Please refer this link http://www.hicomind.org.nz/OCI_Dual.htm

helper00 said:
I am leaning towards getting a PIO Card instead of OCI . I have following questions:

2) I beleive that a PIO Card hoder has to register with Foriegn Registration Office(FRO) in India if the stay in India exceed for more than 180 days. How does that works ? Once you register, can you stay indefinitley ( till validity of PIO card) or does FRRO gives some kind of extension (for a limited period) ?

3) If I take a private job in India and extend my stay ( by registering with FRO) for more than 180 days, do you see any issues in this situatin ( tax, immigration etc...) ?

Regards :)

Please rfer http://www.hicomind.org.nz/faq.htm

Indian4,

Thanks for your help. However, it doesn't answer the questions, I have :

Regards

helper00 said:
Indian4,

Thanks for your help. However, it doesn't answer the questions, I have :

Regards

ok
1) YES - Same as to a normal citizen of India
2) YES need to register if stay exceeds more than 180 days-- FIll in forms with address etc--Need to do HIV test in a frro listed clinic--FRRo grants residence permit up till thevalidity of PIO card
3) NO issues in case of a New Zealand NAtional not sure about American nationality.

The Saga Ends for me !!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally today I recieved a mail from Sydney Consulate that my OCI is ready for collection. And that was a BLOODY :rolleyes: 16 months and 10 days wait.
And I am very very happy not because I got the OCI, thinking that I don't have to go to the consulate again :D

Mangal Pandey said:
Finally today I recieved a mail from Sydney Consulate that my OCI is ready for collection. And that was a BLOODY :rolleyes: 16 months and 10 days wait.
And I am very very happy not because I got the OCI, thinking that I don't have to go to the consulate again :D

Congrats mangal pandey. Well you will have to go to the consulate again if they come out with dual citizenship :D

Mangal Pandey said:

Congratulations!

Name Change after naturalization

I heard Indian Consulate would not issue PIO/OCI card if the names on the US passport and Indian passport are not the same.
Is it still true or was someone able to get OCI card after changing name.

Thx

VS007 said:
I heard Indian Consulate would not issue PIO/OCI card if the names on the US passport and Indian passport are not the same.
Is it still true or was someone able to get OCI card after changing name.

Thx

Not true. Your PIO or OIC card is issued based on the name in your US passport. I would recommend including a copy of your name change certificate as reference with the application to show that you changed your name after naturalization (which will eliminate any questions that may arise).