India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
datruthseeker said:
Hello folks. I am new to this Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) (or is it called Overseas Indian Citizenship, OIC??)....so sorry if my questions are redundant. But after reading the posts here, I am confused about the current status of OCI. Are they accepting new OCI applications? Are they issuing OCI? Is there any thread/link that helps me understand the current OCI situation? I would appreciate any info on (1) how to apply for OCI including documents, fees, etc. (2) How long it takes for the process. Some folks have expressed their unhappiness over the delays. So I am not sure whether to just get a regular mutiple entry visa or apply for OCI right away. Not sure about the PIO card either. I just need a hassle-free visa to visit India frequently for the near term. Welcome any suggestions on the best option among OCI/PIO card/10-yr visa.
Thanks in advance

Well the answer is not simple--No one knows answer for the questions. TO know wot is OCI please check link---www.mha.nic.in
PIO is valid for 15 yrs - OCi Indefinite
PIO expensive - OCI cheap
PIO readily available
OCI no one knows timeframe
People are getting OCI here and ther like toronto, hustn and parvasi function.
No one knows clear procedures or time frames
If your need is urgent go for PIO and then upgrade to OCI you will have 15 yrs time to do this
NO urgency then apply and visit this forum everyday like us :D
PIO and OCI does the same job. SAme dog with 2 different names :D

WArning: OCI is NOT Dual CItizenship, people who think its dual citizenship and declare the same in the interviews or media(LIke toronto) need some mental health therapy :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Indian4 said:
PIO lates news from nz is they have sent my application to INdia(MHA) for processing, how long do u think it will take. I asked them for ref nos they say they dont have it and they will send me as soon as they have it. May be another bull :D

If we can sell all the bull from GoI over the past years on OCI, we would be in the top 10 richest people in the world! :D

fitness99 said:
If we can sell all the bull from GoI over the past years on OCI, we would be in the top 10 richest people in the world! :D

Its quite unfortunate that we bought the bull but no one else would buy apart from Indians(Including PIO's IN THEIR OWN CAPACITY) :D
Wot is ur current status in ur OCI adventure fitness if u dont mind, which consulate? When did u apply?

Last edited by a moderator:
Merced said:
There is a news article published in Hinudstan Times today related to voting rights for NRIs.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1626791,0008.htm

Thats very vague as usual, as it says NRI`s

NRI i.e holding indian passport living abroad
NRI Holding other nationality holding PIO CARD
NRI Holding other nationality holding PIO CARD(Obtained without their own capacity)
NRI Holding other nationality holding OCI
NRI Holding other nationality holding OCI thru great grandparents.

Are all the above eligible?? :D

fitness99 said:
Thanks for the information. It amazes me everytime.....how long do they need to finalize the darn color? :D

But again, the only advantage I see getting an OCI passport is that you do not need to register if your stay exceeds 180 days...

My god fitness ur in this thread from MArch 2003. Heights of patience!!

Indian4 said:
Its quite unfortunate that we bought the bull but no one else would buy apart from Indians(Including PIO's IN THEIR OWN CAPACITY) :D
Wot is ur current status in ur OCI adventure fitness if u dont mind, which consulate? When did u apply?

Indian4 - I currently hold a PIO card, and thought what the heck ...I'll go for the bull and get the OIC :D . I applied in the third week of Jan 06 at the CGI Houston.

It would have been good if GoI gave the NRI's a real timeline instead of selling all these bulls! :p

Indian4 said:
My god fitness ur in this thread from MArch 2003. Heights of patience!!

Yes, I have been following this thread for quite sometime ....I guess patience is a must when you deal with GoI, unless you know someone in the hot seat ;)

cgi ny

krishnan1, now that your status says "Granted" have you gone to the office in NY and got the U sticker & card? Or have you tried calling the consular office in NY?
Thanks

boggavarapu said:
Mangal 969 - my understanding in this matter is follows:

1) Consulate initially recommends the case and forwards the OCI application to Home Ministry

2) Home Ministry further processes and approves the application and sends it Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs where the OCI Card and Sticker are actually printed

3) MOIA then despatches the Cards/Stickers to the relevant destinations
(Consulates etc.)

There may be more steps involved which I may not be aware of and I would love to hear them.

Mangal 969, I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your prompt feedback, input and help to this forum members. Much appreciated.

Sorry for this late response but i was tied up in other work :)
What i understand the process it is likely to be this:
1.The consulate receives your application and checks if there is any adverse information against you

2.The consulate sends to form to the MHA for furthur processing

3.The MHA processes it and issues the final OK for OCI

4.The MHA prepares blank OCI cards and U visas

5.The MHA then forwards the cards,visas and application to the MOIA

6.The MOIA indexes your application and forwards the blanks to the embassy

7.The consulate prepares the OCI card

Rajax said:
Mangal696 , did you manage to get your status? what did you have to do?
Hello Rajax-Sorry for the late response
Unfortunately my status still shows up as File Number Does Not Exist
All you can do is enter your reference number in the format USAXX0000000 and click on the Go button next to the box you entered.From what i know if the MHA has your application the file number,name and current status will automatically pop up.

PIO1 said:
Hi,

You can actually change the File number on the MHA status check page to see where your consulate is up to.

File no is in the form:
cccbnnnnnnyy

where cccb is the consulate code i.e. USAS for SF or USAN for NY
nnnnnn is the number of the application
and yy is the year e.g. 06

So USAS is up to 671 (Under process)
And they have granted 560.

So just scroll through a few numbers:

e.g.
USAS00066906
USAS00067006
USAS00067106

I managed to see some friends who got OCI on this site just by scrolling through!

You can do a similar thing with the Ref No (replace the first 0 with an I), but file no is better. Hope this makes sense. Bad security - but nice way to see what's going on!

Nice but what use is this ? Maybe once you get your file number you can check how many people ahead of you are granted.
I checked for CGINY.A bulk of apps were granted on Feb 14th.Total no of grants were 346 and file no 526 was the last one to go on process

Indian4 said:
Thats very vague as usual, as it says NRI`s

NRI i.e holding indian passport living abroad
NRI Holding other nationality holding PIO CARD
NRI Holding other nationality holding PIO CARD(Obtained without their own capacity)
NRI Holding other nationality holding OCI
NRI Holding other nationality holding OCI thru great grandparents.

Are all the above eligible?? :D

NRI's are Non Resident Indians-They are people who hold Indian passports.The other categories are not NRI's.

genesis1 said:
krishnan1, now that your status says "Granted" have you gone to the office in NY and got the U sticker & card? Or have you tried calling the consular office in NY?
Thanks

The consulate will inform you when your card and visa come in from India

Indian4 said:
Well the answer is not simple--No one knows answer for the questions. TO know wot is OCI please check link---www.mha.nic.in
PIO is valid for 15 yrs - OCi Indefinite
PIO expensive - OCI cheap
PIO readily available
OCI no one knows timeframe
People are getting OCI here and ther like toronto, hustn and parvasi function.
No one knows clear procedures or time frames
If your need is urgent go for PIO and then upgrade to OCI you will have 15 yrs time to do this
NO urgency then apply and visit this forum everyday like us :D
PIO and OCI does the same job. SAme dog with 2 different names :D

WArning: OCI is NOT Dual CItizenship, people who think its dual citizenship and declare the same in the interviews or media(LIke toronto) need some mental health therapy :D

Thank you Indian4, appreciate your response. Based on my needs and your suggestions, I think the best option for me would be to just go for PIO for now.....and if necessary, upgrade to OCI later. And I hope the process and timelines for PIO is predictable and straightforward with no ambiguity!!

Thanks again for your response.

USANI02XXXXXX under process

Our applications are under process. Atleast one hurdle has passed (i.e file movement from New York consulate to New Delhi.

The last process is for a USAN00034606. Ours is 120 down the list. Whenever the next bulk approval happens it should get through. i.e Feb 21st. Another 3 weeks for the cards to arrive at the consulate door.

At the risk of sounding conspiratorial there are approx 1300 people who have been granted OCI status across the US (I'm talking about 2005 applicants).And there are only 2 people on this forum who have achieved this status.
Of all the 2004 applicants ,the bulk of which were allegedly approved as per Mr Sharma only 1 member of the forum has received his OCI card.

Connect the dots....... :)

rajudm said:
Our applications are under process. Atleast one hurdle has passed (i.e file movement from New York consulate to New Delhi.

The last process is for a USAN00034606. Ours is 120 down the list. Whenever the next bulk approval happens it should get through. i.e Feb 21st. Another 3 weeks for the cards to arrive at the consulate door.

When did CGINY get your forms ? I am trying to work out a rough time table for my application

mangal969 said:
At the risk of sounding conspiratorial there are approx 1300 people who have been granted OCI status across the US (I'm talking about 2005 applicants).And there are only 2 people on this forum who have achieved this status.
Of all the 2004 applicants ,the bulk of which were allegedly approved as per Mr Sharma only 1 member of the forum has received his OCI card.

Connect the dots....... :)

Since Mangal put in 7 dots..the only connecting word I can think of right now is ..it sucks!