India Dual Citizenship Mega Thread (Merged)

The India Dual Citizenship will be Operational:

• In 2003

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • In 2004

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Sometime after 2004

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • I am skeptical if this will happen

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So I guess the card's in the mail! Interesting how no one on this forum knows of any OCI recipients. When they say cleared - I hope this means successfully processed.

Anyway - re the thumb impression, I left the item blank too - so not sure what is going on here.

Well done also Mangal Pandey who got Mr Sharma's number.

qwert97 said:
Did you manage to speak to Mr. Sharma directly? When I called him on Monday (IST) I was told that he was on vacation. In general I found him the OCI section very helpful and courteaous.

Your informatiion sounds about right since the 10 days that he had mentioned to me was inclusive of the mailing time. So the embassies should receive the OCI cards by end of this week or early next week.

Hats off to mangal for getting that phone number. I think we are closer since this information is coming from those people who are processing the applications.

Mr. Sharma was not there. One of his colleagues in the section spoke with me. I thought he was very helpful. He has confirmed that all the pending 2004 OCI Applications have been processed already and we can expect to receive the cards and stickers very soon (Ofcourse, through the consulates). My guess is that we should be able to hear from the Consulates by Mid Feb.

Folks

My uncle is ready to apply for the OCI but he does not know what "Self attestation" of the docuements mean.

Is it just a signature?

"Self attestation" means you certify the documents you submit are copies of the original and sign them.
But if you are in the US, the consulates DO NOT accept self attested copies and require notarised copies

A new month, a new minister

I thought we just had a new minister for MOIA?

Anyway:

New Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi on Monday said that his first priority would be to focus on addressing the problems of Indian workers, particularly those residing in the Gulf region.

The Minister underlined the fact that the intention of the UPA Government in forming the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs was to give mainstream attention to the vast overseas Indian community. He reiterated the commitment of the UPA Government to take forward the Overseas Citizenship of India Scheme launched recently.

http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=235158&cat=India

The minister we had last month was given temporary charge of the MOIA along with 3 other ministries.He wasnt a full time minister.

This gentleman however seems to be on the job for the south indian NRI's residing in the Gulf :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jobs for OCIs?

I want to work in research institutes in India (like IITs). Many have government funding. Am I eligible to for such jobs? (I am an Australian citizen)

PIO1 said:
Thanks mangal ...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Why are they telling us this, its the MHA, PM and MOIA who have publically called this Dual Citizenship. And its not a misnomer. It's misinformation, misleading and mismanaging.

This is so true.. It is like raising false hopes... complete misinformation. Anyway, Is there any Australian who wants a "dual citizenship" of India?

coolamit said:
I want to work in research institutes in India (like IITs). Many have government funding. Am I eligible to for such jobs? (I am an Australian citizen)
You can't generally work for the govt - you would be treated like a foreigner/visiting professor. You would need to check with the institute, but officially I think the answer is no, unfortunately.

Re Australia - most OCI applicants seem to be from there, and there are several on this forum.

The NY embassy is horrible ! I gave in my app almost a month ago and they are yet to send me my acknowledgement ( I had even sent a sefl addressed stamped envelope for that !).They do not answer to queries over e-mail and when i called in today the answering machine memory was full ! (No one picked up of course).
From what i see on this forum the other consulates like SF and chicago seem to be doing a better job.
Has any 2005 applicant received an acknowledgement ? It is supposed to contain instructions for oci applicants in waiting.and does the online tracking system work ?

coolamit said:

PIO1 is right.Better to contact the institute
It seems to be a greyish area by my interpretation.The exact text mentions that OCI's are not eligible "for appointment to public services and posts in connection with the affairs of the Union or any state except for appointment in such services and posts as the Central Government may by special order in that behalf specify".
If the IIT is involved in weapons research you definitely can't ;).As far my as knowledge goes IIT's are autonoumous bodies funded by the government.The law does not mention anywhere that OCI's are ineligible for government funded posts.

OK Guys the latest news. Sydney consulate started issuing OCI cards and stickers from Monday. My mate who applied in December 2005 got it yesterday. I called the consulate regarding the old 2004 applicants. The lady told me that she dosen't know anything about 2004 applicants.
I contacted MC Sharma, I got him he told me that he has finished processing all 2004 applications last week, and he dosen't have any 2004 applications with him.
We are really f***d. Can we do something? Where are the cards and stickers gone? I think we have to start looking ebay because its going to end up there in 2 weeks.

Mangal Pandey said:
OK Guys the latest news. Sydney consulate started issuing OCI cards and stickers from Monday. My mate who applied in December 2005 got it yesterday. I called the consulate regarding the old 2004 applicants. The lady told me that she dosen't know anything about 2004 applicants.
I contacted MC Sharma, I got him he told me that he has finished processing all 2004 applications last week, and he dosen't have any 2004 applications with him.
We are really f***d. Can we do something? Where are the cards and stickers gone? I think we have to start looking ebay because its going to end up there in 2 weeks.

Mangalpandey

They are being sent by courier to respective embassies. They will be sent through "On Indian government service envelope' which takes about a week. So you should expect a call from your embassy either today or next week.
I guess Sydney embassy is most switched on embassy in the world.

Mangal Pandey,
Chill man ! There was a post earlier about the OCI Cards being couriered out on Monday or something(Posts 1291,1203 and 1302).So wait for a week or so and you will definitely get your OCI card & Visa.
Your fellow aussie must be thrilled to get his OCI processed so quickly.Hope mine comes in just as quickly.
But one thing worth asking-Does the government use courier services ? Wouldnt it be easy to send them in a diplomatic pouch in the hands of an Air India pilot to be picked up at the respective airport ? Dont some countries use their national carriers that way ? Would save them a bundle of money and ensure faster turnover times.

labor_replace said:
where can I get 35mm X 35 mm photos
Depends on where you live.Some photo studios do give that size or you can get a Photoshop genius to scan and crop your photo and get it printed at a studio or you can cut a photograph to the required size.
Ask around

coolamit said:
The IITs have even foreign national professors working there. So, you shouldnt have a problem here.

mangal969 said:
PIO1 is right.Better to contact the institute
It seems to be a greyish area by my interpretation.The exact text mentions that OCI's are not eligible "for appointment to public services and posts in connection with the affairs of the Union or any state except for appointment in such services and posts as the Central Government may by special order in that behalf specify".

Mangal - Where did you find this info. Can you send the link to this info please.

PIO card holder and Hotel Stay / Travel in India

Does a PIO card holder need to register or fill special forms to stay in hotels in India ? Does he / she need to carry their passports / PIO cards to move around India or to be able to stay in hotels etc. ?